Arcanum - Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arcanum - Review

Default Arcanum - Review

December 26th, 2021, 22:41
Ye Old Entertainment reviews Arcanum.

Arcanum review: How does it compare to heavy hitters like Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment?

loading…

[…]
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
+1:

December 26th, 2021, 22:57
Well time to repeat myself… wish someone would remake or remaster the game in a new engine. As the game needs a facelift instead of the HD mod available to download.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
+1:

December 26th, 2021, 23:28
It doesn't really compare to games like BG2 or PS:T. It's apples and oranges.

Great game though. The setting Troika created was amazing. I just wish the combat had been better. I'd love to see some kind of official enhanced edition with improved combat and balancing.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

December 27th, 2021, 04:20
Troika didn't make bad games, full stop. Sure, they might have had few bugs, what game doesn't, yet they were awesome when released and most are just as good today as they were back then. Put me on the list to snag any and all of these, especially Arcanum, if a real remaster ever comes along!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

December 27th, 2021, 06:49
I think in my online travels I've heard more good things said about Arcanum than any other RPG short of Baldur's Gate 2..
why not some sort of Kickstarter for this classic?

Warmark

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 27th, 2021, 07:20
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well time to repeat myself… wish someone would remake or remaster the game in a new engine. As the game needs a facelift instead of the HD mod available to download.
I 100% agree. I've written beamdog (as I think they've done a good job on the BG enhanced editions) suggesting they pickup Arcanum and also ToEE, but never received a response.

Rook

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

December 27th, 2021, 10:19
Last I heard, the IP is owned by Activision who acquired it when Sierra went defunct. With that being the case, we probably shouldn't hold our breath for a rerelease anytime soon.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 27th, 2021, 10:58
It's all in the records, indeed. Game & documents, then when Sierra changed name, and later when it was revived by Activision.

That's the drawback of IP protection.

Spoiler

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

December 27th, 2021, 19:02
I suggested this one to Beamdog in person on more than one occasion, I'd love to see the lads delve into this one!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

December 28th, 2021, 05:11
I wish I lived in a parallel dimension where Troika (instead of going bankrupt) acquired the Fallout IP instead of Bethesda and proceeded to release (good) Fallout 3 and 4, Arcanum 2: Journey to the Center of Arcanum, and perhaps another D&D game with ToEE combat but better quests & story…

In this dimension, I'd settle for a decent Arcanum spiritual successor.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 28th, 2021, 06:01
Originally Posted by Warmark View Post
I think in my online travels I've heard more good things said about Arcanum than any other RPG short of Baldur's Gate 2..
why not some sort of Kickstarter for this classic?
to do what?

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

December 28th, 2021, 06:02
You don't need Beamdog. You can already play Arcanum and there are high resolution patches for it.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

December 28th, 2021, 06:09
Yeah those so called High resolution patches just stretch the screen. They don't update the engine, graphics, and font size. So don't settle when you can have better.

I'm not belittling the mod or the mod maker but it feels like putting lipstick on a pig.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

December 28th, 2021, 06:18
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
I wish I lived in a parallel dimension where Troika (instead of going bankrupt) acquired the Fallout IP instead of Bethesda and proceeded to release (good) Fallout 3 and 4, Arcanum 2: Journey to the Center of Arcanum, and perhaps another D&D game with ToEE combat but better quests & storyĂƒÂ˘Ă˘â€šÂ¬Ă‚Â¦

In this dimension, I'd settle for a decent Arcanum spiritual successor.
Amen to that. To bad Bloodlines flopped also, as that was the game that bankrupted the developer in the end. If I recall ToEE didn't sell well either. Only Arcanum sold well.

Anyway rumor is Inexile is working on a Steampunk RPG but it's not TB or isometric.
--

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

December 28th, 2021, 07:22
If you use the widescreen patch, which I think is included in the Unofficial Arcanum Patch, you can play at any resolution, and it looks fine.

The only problem is that everything gets really tiny if you go too high. When I played through it a few years back, I ended up just staying at 1024x768 or maybe even 800x600 because I got tired of straining my eyes at higher resolutions.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 28th, 2021, 09:53
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Yeah those so called High resolution patches just stretch the screen. They don't update the engine, graphics, and font size. So don't settle when you can have better.
That's just flat out untrue.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

December 28th, 2021, 09:56
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
If you use the widescreen patch, which I think is included in the Unofficial Arcanum Patch, you can play at any resolution, and it looks fine.

The only problem is that everything gets really tiny if you go too high. When I played through it a few years back, I ended up just staying at 1024x768 or maybe even 800x600 because I got tired of straining my eyes at higher resolutions.
It's been too long since I last played Arcanum to remember what resolution I played at, but the screenshots on this page seem to me to look good and readable up through at least 1680x1050.

https://terra-arcanum.com/drog/highres.html#1680x1050

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

December 28th, 2021, 12:36
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
It's been too long since I last played Arcanum to remember what resolution I played at, but the screenshots on this page seem to me to look good and readable up through at least 1680x1050.

https://terra-arcanum.com/drog/highres.html#1680x1050
I can't access that link. Malwarebytes is blocking it and telling me there's a trojan there.

Anyways, I play on a 24" monitor and found anything higher than 1024x768 too zoomed out for my taste. It's a common issue with those older 2D games where the aspect ratio doesn't scale when you up the resolution.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 28th, 2021, 12:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I can't access that link. Malwarebytes is blocking it and telling me there's a trojan there.
Oh, sorry about that. I have Malwarebytes installed myself and don't get any warnings from that page.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

December 29th, 2021, 06:48
To create a brand new game in the Arcanum universe, that's pretty basic in concept if not in practice…

Warmark

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arcanum - Review