Exp:Conq Expeditions: Conquistador - Official Press Release on the Delay and Multiplayer

Expeditions: Conquistador

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A bit late as the info was already sent out, but we recieved the official press release on the delay of Expeditions: Conquistador and its new multiplayer mode.
Logic Artists, developer of the eagerly awaited tactical RPG Expeditions: Conquistador, today announced that the release date of the Kickstarter-financed title has been pushed back by a few weeks. The additional time until release will be invested in balancing and graphics. Kickstarter supporters who contributed more than $30 for the development will receive the current build of the game for download on the previously announced release date as a goody to tide them over during the wait. But fans of the Kickstarter-financed tactical RPG can look forward to a previously unannounced multiplayer mode.
Expeditions: Conquistador
Release delay and multiplayer
The official release date for Expeditions: Conquistador has been pushed back a few weeks. But fans of the Kickstarter-financed tactical RPG can look forward to a previously unannounced multiplayer mode.
Copenhagen, Denmark; 27 February 2013 – Logic Artists, developer of the eagerly awaited tactical RPG Expeditions: Conquistador, today announced that the release date of the Kickstarter-financed title has been pushed back by a few weeks. The additional time until release will be invested in balancing and graphics. Kickstarter supporters who contributed more than $30 for the development will receive the current build of the game for download on the previously announced release date as a goody to tide them over during the wait.
Logic Artists is also pleased to be able to announce a brand-new multiplayer mode for Expeditions: Conquistador. This will be a part of the main game from the first day. By hot seat or Internet connection, players will be able to discover who has the better strategy in a skirmish mode. Logic Artists wants to ensure their fans that the delay of the title has nothing to do with the multiplayer mode, which is already finished.
For more information on Expeditions: Conquistador, visit the official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ExpeditionsConquistador. The new release date will be announced as soon as possible.
Besides that also a set of five screenshots were distributed. The first two are displaying UI elelements of the multiplayer mode.

More information.

At least the beta is available for backers at the correct level. I played for about an hour and found 2 bugs (1 showstopper) and one annoyance. Granted its still a beta but sounds like it is very very close to the final build.

The annoyance is that the music is kinda choppy and has static. Its really nice music so this is disappointing as I tend to focus on those flaws when listening to it.

The showstopper is basically after one battle the game never returns to normal mode so cannot progress beyond it. I guess its optional but kinda annoying never the less. Hoping that is addressed in the final build and this is a one of failure. I suspect there will be more than one patch for this game.

Anyway I really like the portraits of PCs and NPCs. The narrator also did a good job for the starting video. Combat is very much like the previous demos so I dont really have any issues with that at the moment. Really well done for the most part, looking forward to playing more over the weekend.

The MU part exposes that game for what it is.

Save on computers, RPGs are all social activity. Take a socalled computer RPG which is played solo, turn it into a social activity by adding a MU and voilà, it turns into a skirmish game. Wonderful tour de force.

There's no social aspects to the singleplayer whatsoever. The multiplayer aspect is ENTIRELY optional.

That was absolutely the point.

If indeed the SP game was a RPG, how easy it would have to extend it into a RPG.

Part of the difficulty to bring the RPG genre to computers is that RPGs are social activity when video gaming can be solo activity.

This game in SP mode is a skirmish game and when extended to MU mode, surprise, it is extended in a skirmish game.

I will give them credit for quickly addressing the showstopper I referenced above. Another build was released that fixes the specific failure I had noted above. Now its just a matter of testing it I guess. Hopefully the save games are compatible.

My take is if you really want RPG on a computer then use skype or whatever chat systems are used these days for remote DnD gaming. These types of CRPGs are more about playing with miniatures with computer handing the other sides at least for this style of game. I'm totally ok calling this a Tactical RPG in the spirit of Fallout 1 or Disgaea. Some people do not consider JA2 or Silent Storm or Disgaea to be RPGs and I can agree that they have a strong Strategy component. But in past 20 years, no one has ever been able to define the essence of what makes a CRPG because it is different for every person.

Now I'm sure that its not to the level of Fallout in options given to player but they have a decent branching dialog system with interesting options that play into C&C. I've never played beyond a handful of battles so I don't know how extensive it is but I have high hopes it will be interesting in combat and dialog but its a Tactical RPG in any case.

The MU piece could be nice if I played with other on a LAN but I dont so I dont care. I only care if it shows that it distracted greatly from the final promised product. At this point, that is up in the air at the moment and stability will be my main test for that.

But in past 20 years, no one has ever been able to define the essence of what makes a CRPG because it is different for every person.

That is a strange way to put it. Sticking to the facts, over the past 20 years, many people have shown their willingness to apply the RPG label to games that were not RPGs.

From that moment on, as people pushed in games that were not RPGs and used them as references for making up for a so called RPG standard, more non RPG were pushed in.

I had a blast the other day thinking that among people complaining about being sold horse meat instead of beef meat, they were so called RPG players.

And I know some people who also go postal when told of illegals even though they are so called RPG players. As told to them, the issue is easily solved. They are no illegal. All it takes is that illegals consider themselves legal, and here, you are. Same stuff as RPGs.
But, surprisingly, for this kind of things, they reject their own procedure.

Go figure.

I think Figment stated it correctly. There have been endless debates on what constitutes an RPG without a definite conclusion. I'm aware that you, as you have explained before on this forum, do have the knowledge of qualifying what is and what is not an RPG, but in the end they are just your opinions and not facts.

There are opinions based on facts and opiniond that are not based on facts.
People who delineated what a RPG was and is just expressed their opinions.
Just as the Earth is round or stuff like this.

In the end, opinions are opinions.

The only thing worthwhile knowing is how it is possible to state that the previous comment has it right.

It should be all opinions and not facts. And the previous comment could not be right, just like my comment could not be right. All opinions, no facts.

Or is it that some opinions are factually based?

It's rather easy. Your opinions are based on your facts. My opinions are based on my facts. I agree with Figment and not with you. It really is that simple.

If you can actually make out what his opinions are and what they are based on, you are already ahead of me...

Back
Top Bottom