Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I've been enjoying this one a ton!

The game is concentrated on exploration, much like Subnautica, but there's no base building or crafting. There is some platform-jumping mechanics but nothing really hard.

What you'll be doing is travelling around in a little solar-system, trying to figure out what happened to the Nomai - an ancient alien race. You start out in a little village, getting some much needed tutorial work on how to control the game (I swear that model ship is harder to control than the real one!) and background on what's going on. Eventually, you get your lift off codes and up you go!

22 minutes later, the entire solar system is destroyed.

Luckily for you, you've got that whole Groundhog Day thing going. You find yourself right back at the start of the game but with all your previous memories intact. So, if you found something interesting on the moon, you'll still remember it and it will even be in your ship's logs. (You remember those launch codes, too, so there's no need to do the tutorial again.) When you loop back again, you're free to act on what you found last time… or not. There's nothing stopping you from going to any planet you like. You're handy ship's log will keep track of all your clues and even how they connect together.

What it doesn't have is a save game system. It auto-saves (I presume) every time you learn something for the ship's log. Oddly, given the way the game is set up, this really doesn't hurt nearly as much as in most games. You aren't advancing a story-line that you'll need to repeat, you're advancing your own knowledge which saves instantly. The only problem can be if you've gotten to a tricky area and have to quit - you'll have to get to that tricky area again. Like I said at the start, though, the jumping puzzle stuff isn't too challenging and it's even less difficult the second time through. The solar system is quite tiny so I think you can get to most interesting places in about 5-10 minutes. You're just never going to be out that much time even if you have to quit suddenly or if the game crashes! (Still, would it have hurt them to put in a quick save?)

Something that does cause real problems, IMHO, are the controls. Ship control isn't really as easy as it should be - I think because, in order to roll the ship, you have to hold down the R key and use the mouse. Hmmm… maybe if I re-map that to a mouse thumb button…. Oh, and the game says at the start that it's best played with controller. Don't believe it.

There's some bugs running around, too. I haven't hit them but the dev outlines them here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/753640/discussions/1/2568689796946065157/
(Interesting that they are patching them. This game was out on Epic for a year before showing up on Steam.)

Groundhog Day
There is a difference between groundhog day which is a whole day, and other time loop works where the reset time interval is not 24hours.

Also, while russian Zerkalo was made before Groundhog Day, the oldest known time loop full feature movie is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and is based on a novel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Leapt_Through_Time
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (時をかける少女, Toki wo Kakeru Shōjo, literally "Girl who Soars Through Time") is a science fiction novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui. Originally serialized from 1965 to 1966, it tells the story of a high-school girl who accidentally acquires the ability to time travel, which leads to a time loop where she repeatedly relives the same day.
Hopefully you won't say some game is a girl who lept though time or is zerkalo, right?

Sadly, I still didn't write a thread about time loop movies. I need a coop buddy to "force" me to continue with it, but the only friend who was enthusiastic in researching it as I was is nearly impossible to meet with for years now and when we do meet, we have too many other themes to discuss and enjoy.

On the other hand there is another friend I have who played Outer Wilds and was so impressed he's still trying to convince me into it. He didn't call it groundhog day nor any other movie title, just described it as time repeated so I've informed him that it's normally called a time loop.
I promised I will do the game - only after he watches both Happy Death Day movies. He still didn't. Did you?
Well, my sig is clear.

Last edited:
I've never even heard of Happy Death Day!

I'm near the end of Outer Wilds now. At least I think I am. Unfortunately, I'm getting really frustrated because of the damn <spoilers> getting me as I drift to the <spoilers> with a <spoilers> in hand and time running out! But the game has been really fun up to this point.

The controls have gotten somewhat better after some practice and re-mapping. Getting the space suit jets to fire is the "iffy" part - they just don't sometimes, even when I'm sure they have fuel. It's happening to me less and less, though, so I'm doing something right, but I'm not even sure what it is!

Well, they release it on Friday the 13th and have some knife killings, I can see how people would get confused.

But anyway… finally beat the game. I looked up in a game guide on how to get through the brambles faster. It didn't help that problem in the slightest but I did find out that I was bring the wrong thing, which would have seriously ticked me off. Turns out a big question mark on my board was not one that was going to get solved at the end of the game like I thought - I was meant to figure that out quite a bit sooner.

All in all, this is definitely a good game. Controls can be a little wonky. The 'you should play with a controller' screen at the start is a lie. Going through the brambles is still pretty annoying even when you know how to do it. Everything else, especially the music, is really wonderful! Fun ideas, smart puzzles, good graphics, tasty marshmallows… definitely worth the wait for me.

This is not the only timeloop movie(s) that includes romance or comedy.

But if I'm correct, Outer Wilds has neither, which is kinda wasted potential.

Outer Wilds got #9 on the latest PC Gamer Top 100 list. Outward? Not on the list. Outer Worlds? Not on the list.

Let it be forever known that Outer Wilds has won the 2019 "Battle of the Out-named Games" contest! ;)

Outer Wilds is somehow getting a DLC in a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom