Gujian 3 - Impressions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GeneMyLong recommends the unknown (at least in the west) Chinese RPG Gujian 3:

Gujian 3 On Sale Now!

Steam Sale ends July 9th, 2020. If you've been thinking about buying/playing Gujian 3, the game is now on sale. We've enjoyed this game and we're sure anyone can appreciate the creative music, engaging game play, and beautiful artwork.
More information.

Hmm a Chinese woman based on that accent who recommends a Chinese game.o_O

All right conspiracy theory over. I'm not interested in playing the third game in a series of other games that are not translated. I did to much of that crap with JRPGs in my youth.

Hmm a Chinese woman based on that accent who recommends a Chinese game.o_O

All right conspiracy theory over. I'm not interested in playing the third game in a series of other games that are not translated. I did to much of that crap with JRPGs in my youth.

Also…it's the only game she has been playing on her channel. For almost 2 years. Developer or Publisher maybe?

I trust @felipepepe; on this one - he recommends it, too:
Gujian 3 is a AAA Action-RPG from China. Voices are all in Chinese, but the text has been fully & professionaly translated. Which is very important, since this is a linear and story-heavy RPG, that took me 50 hs to finish.

The combat is responsive and satisfying, much better than The Witcher 3 or Greedfall (it even has an unlockable boss rush mode), but the real focus here is the rich world and its characters. It's a fairy tale about meeting spirits, demons, feys and swordsmen, of travelling across ancient China, the spirit world and the world of dreams. Being a Chinese game, the writing is very different from Western or Japanese RPGs, making for a unique experience.

Despite being part of a series, you don't need to play the previous one to enjoy it. And you can really feel the high budget behind it: not only it's gorgeous and fully-voiced, but has several mini-games (including a card game and a clone of Captain Toad), plus a home base you can customize by researching & crafting decorations.

My only complains are the lack of character customization, and how easy it is to get locked out of some side-quests (which offer extra bosses and content, but must be done in certain story points).

Last edited:
Story gets boring really fast, first hours are interesting, after that it just goes sideways. most of the sidequests are sims stuff so not interesting, and the world feels empty as well. I got bored after around 15h. And no english VO is a major turn off, those asian dudes cant act for shit, all sound the same.

I thought about getting it, but despite being a single player game it requires connecting to their servers to play which means that there's no guarantee the game will even work in a couple of years if it takes me a while to get around to playing it and the company decides to stop supporting it.

We were talking bout that before in another thread.

The game is always online singleplayer. There is hardly any chance I'd touch it - at least not before they shut down the server where all savegames are kept.
I want the singleplayer savegame on my PC. Where will be it's backup I don't care.

Once I see the savegame on my PC, available to be shared on steam guides or somewhere else, then I'll buy the game.

Looks nice with solid art direction! But its realtime, not Turn Based. Thanks for the opinions, who played it.

Back
Top Bottom