Could you identify this 3D RPG game made somewhat in between 1997-2003 ?

I played Summoner and can't remember the top-down view :). Probably didn't impress me all that much, then ;).

Hm, I played Summoner, but I don't remember a sewer at the beginning … Only mid-game …

You're right. I'm playing it now, and the sewer's not completely at the beginning. Makes me wonder if what I played before was some kind of unreleased unofficial demo, because I clearly remember the sewers at the beginning, plus instant multiple characters. Oh well, I guess I'll never know..

Brian Boitano? The figure skating dude? Weird nick. Welcome to the Watch.

Such a shame that the PC never got Summoner 2….

TOEE is probably the best D&D adaptation you will ever find. Don't expect a great story, but the gameplay mechanics are quite good. Also you might want a playthrough with the Co8 mod.

http://www.co8.org/community/index.php

Return to Krondor did not age well, sadly. A remaster would be nice, but i doubt that it will happen.

I remember Return to Krondor being a very good game... Played it w/o ever having played BaK and really loved it. Bear was a wicked RPG villain. But I haven't played it in over 15 years so I can't say how well it would hold up to modern standards.

I know Neal Halford tried to get the rights to do a remake of BaK and wasn't able to, so I assume any developer would have the same problem with RtK. :(

I've bought the Krondor/Antara trilogy from GOG. But, those games are seriously in need of a remaster. Unfortunately, anyone that wants to attempt that will probably have to deal with the copyright hell. He'll probably need to either acquire or get permission from whomever owns the game rights and to obtain permission from Raymond E. Feist.

The trilogy was quite good at the time (still is in many aspects) and it also was innovative for the era. And it's sad that the rights are so hard to sort. :(

I've bought the Krondor/Antara trilogy from GOG. But, those games are seriously in need of a remaster. Unfortunately, anyone that wants to attempt that will probably have to deal with the copyright hell. He'll probably need to either acquire or get permission from whomever owns the game rights and to obtain permission from Raymond E. Feist.

The trilogy was quite good at the time (still is in many aspects) and it also was innovative for the era. And it's sad that the rights are so hard to sort. :(

Maybe Return to Krondor is still playable. It came out years later.

You're right. I'm playing it now, and the sewer's not completely at the beginning. Makes me wonder if what I played before was some kind of unreleased unofficial demo, because I clearly remember the sewers at the beginning, plus instant multiple characters. Oh well, I guess I'll never know..

Possibly. There was a demo. How do I know this? Many many years ago I worked at a large Canadian Mac dealer (before the Apple store times) and did sales in their humble little PC corner. Of course there was always a big rivalry between us Mac and PC sales peeps. When games would come out on PC, it would be like "oh ok, new game" but when they came out on Mac, because they were so deprived of game titles at that time, they jumped on it like a fat kid on an m&m, It was the most amazing thing ever for them. So during that time, Summoner and Oni were played non-stop at the store.

I found Summoner very addictive, having some very nice ideas, but these repeated character models ... Ugh ...

I found Summoner very addictive, having some very nice ideas, but these repeated character models … Ugh …

Now that I'm playing Summoner, it does have some annoying flaws. For instance you can't assign potions to hotkeys, plus the shortcuts are kinda weird (switching between chars is F5-F9 while switching between spells '1'-'6') - how am I to do that quickly with one hand.

All in all, I'm glad I found it! It is a pretty addictive game.

Possibly. There was a demo. How do I know this? Many many years ago I worked at a large Canadian Mac dealer (before the Apple store times) and did sales in their humble little PC corner. Of course there was always a big rivalry between us Mac and PC sales peeps. When games would come out on PC, it would be like "oh ok, new game" but when they came out on Mac, because they were so deprived of game titles at that time, they jumped on it like a fat kid on an m&m, It was the most amazing thing ever for them. So during that time, Summoner and Oni were played non-stop at the store.

Uhm I haven't heard of Oni. Google finds "Ao Oni" but that's made in 2009 so it can't be it. What is that?
EDIT: Oh nevermind it's this apparently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90VJNkKRdA

That's the one! A very forgettable Rockstar/Bungie release.
That's harsh, they tried make a Street Fighter CRPG, they was an indie dev with bigger budget than other indie.

For me the Street Fighter thing was controls/action a bit too hard to enjoy fully and I didn't finished it. But forgettable I don't agree, it didn't sell well and probably convinced the dev gave up and join MS console, but as far I know it's still a rather unique CRPG, and for an indie CRPG it's relatively good.

Oni, I actually liked that one. But I'm weird, anyway.

Oni actually has a solid story. If they had a bigger budget at the time, the game would have been so much more:(

For me it's Pathway into Darkness their Mac game with the best story and story telling, despite I'll admit PiD was a bit an amateurish game, and that nowadays it's hardly playable unlike Marathon. But I didn't played Oni long enough to evaluate the story, I gave up try learn master the action, I think modern gamepad I don't master but that aren't as awful could have help me a bit, perhaps.

I don't know if budget was really the problem, it could be more the switch to 3D they didn't managed well. Environments was a lot too empty, it was something wrong spoiling the mood of places. No way Marathon series had this problem. But Oni was in 3D and was requiring more detailed characters and enemies and animations, all of that generating poor 3D environments. Such detail also don't help selling a game, plus at release I vaguely remind performance and action gameplay tuning problems.

Back
Top Bottom