Quantcast
Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests - Page 40 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Default Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

October 26th, 2017, 13:59
I don't want to go through the hassle of multiple logins and it would require a bit too many changes to integrate an option to create a moderation post (given there is no mod for it).
The existing mod I've mentioned before doesn't work, so I added a hack myself, which allows to do what I've mentioned. It is now possible to ignore everyone, except admins (Arhu, Jaz, Myrthos) and special moderators (Corwin, Gorath).

As to the font issue, it is odd that Verdana is not enabled, but I'll look into how we can make this better.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

October 26th, 2017, 16:35
Back to the font issue. We are using Verdana, when that is not enabled it defaults to whatever font is the default font. What I can do is use a list of fonts, starting with Verdana and ending with sans-serif as a catch-all when the preceding fonts in the list do not exist.
However Verdana is specifically made for readability and uses more spacing between letters compared to other fonts. It is however a Microsoft font, which is probably why Apple doesn't enable it by default. I've checked a couple of sans-serif fonts, but none of them use a similar spacing as the currently used Verdana font. The list is:
Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica and (on my system) sans-serif are all more or less similar, but all have a noticeable difference with the Verdana font.

In 2006, Verdana was probably a good choice, but these days with everybody having higher resolution screens the font is not really a requirement anymore, so perhaps it is time to change to a new font as the default font… somewhere in the future.

Anyway, if someone has a suggestion for a platform independent font that we could use let us know.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
Last edited by Myrthos; October 26th, 2017 at 19:14. Reason: Missing word

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

October 26th, 2017, 18:27
Yeah I just enabled Verdana and it works and looks nice. It’s a shame Apple disables it. Not sure what the standard multi platform sans-serif font is currently.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 29th, 2017, 03:36
I noticed the "mentioned" never decrements. I was expecting it to disappear after the posts I was mentioned in.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

October 29th, 2017, 11:48
You mean the one at the right hand side of your post?
That is more of a social thing, so everybody can see how often you have been mentioned. For me personally it is not really a worth while feature to have, but it came with the mod.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

October 29th, 2017, 16:00
Its a nice vanity feature. I was just confused by its functionality
--
On another topic I did a forum search and had a sudden urge to sort by views or replies to try to clarify the topic I was looking for.

I that possible to do?
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

October 29th, 2017, 20:03
Would be nice if the registration process was a wee bit more something or other to stop these spammers. I presume they are robots but who knows. It seems they create accounts - create a bunch of empty posts - and when they get their post count up ….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 29th, 2017, 22:41
We already have a set of anti-spam options in place, none of them are really working. Against them. Anyway, what I did over the weekend is place everyone with a sufficient amount of posts in a new user group that provides the same functionality as the existing. Everyone below that post count stays in the registered group. Currently I have set that to 5.
Someone is automatically promoted to the new user group when reaching 5 posts.
Next steps are:
- enable post moderation on people making posts who are in the default registered user group
- disable showing threads that are under moderation on the front page
- check how to involve more people in moderation
Probably will do that in a reversed order

For the record, we have about 5300 registered individuals with 4 or less posts.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:

October 30th, 2017, 17:26
The problem I think is that bots can make many users and make many posts that require moderation. Perhaps it would be more efficient (on moderators) if new users had to be approved. the form for becoming a new user could require some questions that they have to type the answers to see if it is a 'human'. The concern is that a legit person who wants to be a new user might be turned off if the process to become a user is too difficult (esp if it is a developer who wants to respond to a thread); while bots can create a very high load on moderators.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 30th, 2017, 17:41
In theory that is true. However it it is not that the load has been so high, it is just a couple of posts a day that cause trouble, something ranging between 0 and 10, most of the time. They are however visible longer than they should due to the lack in amount of moderators, or in the wrong time zones.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

October 30th, 2017, 19:02
Originally Posted by you View Post
The problem I think is that bots can make many users and make many posts that require moderation. Perhaps it would be more efficient (on moderators) if new users had to be approved. the form for becoming a new user could require some questions that they have to type the answers to see if it is a 'human'. The concern is that a legit person who wants to be a new user might be turned off if the process to become a user is too difficult (esp if it is a developer who wants to respond to a thread); while bots can create a very high load on moderators.
It's not too bad if there are "many eyes" on the approval process. Unless the load of spam registrations becomes ridiculous, it's a bit like having an email inbox that attracts a bit too much spam - you have to go through it to pick out the legit messages, and if several people are helping, it's a reasonably manageable chore.

It's always a bit of a game of cat and mouse, and I'm sure the team will also be using other tricks to trap the obvious spam, to make the task a bit easier.

One trick that might be worthwhile (if not used already), is "honeypotting" the registration form. Essentially, you add common but unnecessary fields to the form, and use CSS or javascript to hide them from the human viewer. Then, the bots will read them, and will likely fill them, and then you kill those submissions.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

October 31st, 2017, 10:35
At the moment the only way to accomplish moderation of user posts, is by making someone super moderator, which is a bit much perhaps to just hand out like that.
I did however change the user group of new registered users to have their first 5 posts moderated. This means that these posts and threads need to be moderated by admins and super moderators and everybody in the new user group I've made for this: "Registered Users Moderators" (who are basically also super moderators at the moment).
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

November 2nd, 2017, 18:41
rpgwatch.com=spam?

Today I was sending a mail to a friend. The mail was rejected, allegedly due to being marked as spam. The offending part was "rpgwatch.com" in the text. By removing that, everything was on the green.

Another (related?) issue: Quite often, when I visit rpgwatch from my phone, I get a warning, saying that the certificate can't be verified, and therefore I should return to safety. (which I don't). Doesn't happen when using my real computers, but I've had the same problem on several phones, and using different browsers.

?????

pibbur who is confused

PS. No, Joxer, getting rid of the phone is not an option. (I don't use it for games , except Sudoku) DS.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2017, 19:55
That would imply the browser doesn’t update it’s security cache with the new certificate that was installed last month.
What browser are you using?

As far as blocking rpgwatch.com is concerned, it is because of what happened last year when the security of our server was breached allowing [email protected] to be the sender. It caused rpgwatch.com to be blacklisted. I notice that mails sent to you by RPGWatch bounce as well.
I’ve tried to contact a lot of ISP’s to be taken of the blacklist, but for some ISPs it is very complicated or simply impossibke to accomplish. I don’t know anymore if I contacted your ISP or not to be honest.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

November 3rd, 2017, 16:37
It looks like we can no longer comment on news stories. Is this the direction going forward?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2017, 16:44
No, it should still be working.

Update: I see, something has changed on the front page

Update 2: Fixed. Thanks for mentioning it.
--
Last edited by Myrthos; November 3rd, 2017 at 17:02.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests