Win10 annoying "suggestions"

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Certain questions from friends got so frequent and I did plan to write it as a e-mail to send when needed or something, but spotted an useful article on gawker (lol) that needs shortening to form of a cookbook recipe:
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-remove-windows-10s-annoying-ads-masquerading-as-1841573435

First though, what am I talking about? Microsoft's idea how to get on anyone's nerves by pretending to be helpful but in fact mocking and trying to persuade people into installing bloatware noone needs.

Noone needs those "suggestions" either, so these are settings you should apply on every Windows 10 machine you touch for the first time:
  • Settings->Personalization->Start--> disable “Show suggestions occasionally in Start”
  • Settings->Personalization->Lock screen--> in the Background menu select Picture or Slideshow then disable “Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen”
  • Settings->System->Notifications & actions--> disable “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows”

Less than a minute of work, life quality doubled.

I had to edit my registry to get rid of Cortana. And I still find myself Googling ways to get rid of other Windows 10 intrusions. One of my favorites was when I would switch something to fullscreen mode and Windows would give me an alert to say "Here's an interruption to remind you that we won't be interrupting you when you go into fullscreen mode."

Certain questions from friends got so frequent and I did plan to write it as a e-mail to send when needed or something, but spotted an useful article on gawker (lol) that needs shortening to form of a cookbook recipe:
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-remove-windows-10s-annoying-ads-masquerading-as-1841573435

First though, what am I talking about? Microsoft's idea how to get on anyone's nerves by pretending to be helpful but in fact mocking and trying to persuade people into installing bloatware noone needs.

Noone needs those "suggestions" either, so these are settings you should apply on every Windows 10 machine you touch for the first time:
  • Settings->Personalization->Start--> disable “Show suggestions occasionally in Start”
  • Settings->Personalization->Lock screen--> in the Background menu select Picture or Slideshow then disable “Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen”
  • Settings->System->Notifications & actions--> disable “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows”

Less than a minute of work, life quality doubled.

One of the first things I did. That and a couple of other things.

But all in all, I am quite happy with Win10, and not much troubled by intrusions (not seen any commercials either - where are they?). Don't see much to Cortana, but maybe it still doesn't support Norwegian. I've had more troubles getting rid of Google Assistant and the cursed Bigsby assistant on my Samsung phone.

a pibbur who still considers using Linux more, as soon as he gets a few other basic things to work.

PS. BTW: I use Stardock's Start10 in stead of the Windows start menu, and WindowsBlinds, DisplayFusion and Fences for some desktop customisation. That may hide a couple of Win10 "peculiarities". DS.

Last edited:
I'm really annoyed that they removed the blank screen from the search

But a Windows 10X emulator is out today and my buddy at Intel says Windows 10X is very lean (WCOS, Windows Core OS, aka Centaurus). Its designed for Surface which makes me still shocked that MS has gotten out of the phone business.

Cortana and People are supposed to be removed in the version.
--
This advertising built into Windows against Firefox (but no surprise not against Chrome) is like they are back to their old tricks again. This has to be in violation of their antitrust ruling re: Netscape.

Maybe I'm just not as easily annoyed as others but I have all this enabled and haven't noticed any annoyances.

I actually like the fun facts on the lock screen. At least the 1 or 2 times a month I actually see the lock screen.

I used to use start10 as well but have found I actually like the regular start screen. I have all my currently installed games in 1 area, game clients in another and browsers and apps in another. I'ts a bit like a poor mans fences. I do like fences better but apparently not enough as I haven't installed it since my last fresh windows installation.

I guess I did this when Win10 came out and work does this automatically, because I haven't seen these tips at all. I never tried Firefox so I don't know what advertisement that is, unless it's the "Edge is recommended browser" you see when you try to set the default browser?

Cortana is just a "type here to search" for me. I turned off the voice part and, given I don't have a microphone, it wasn't going to get used anyway. Cortana is really just the same old Windows Search that's been around since Vista.

By the way, the new windows-V for multi-paste buffer is pretty sweet. I hardly use it at home but it's great at work!

I use Start10 and Fences too. I'm not real impressed by the WindowBlinds skins though.

Back
Top Bottom