BattleTech - Post Launch Roadmap

--Live-streaming Quality-of-Life Improvements - Audio persisting when alt-tabbed, for example.
Streamers streaming.
--MechWarrior Customization - We know that many players would like to change the appearance, callsign, name, and voice of all their MechWarriors, not just their Commander. This didn't make it in for launch but we'll be adding it in Update 1
Not even accepting companions' appearance. Escapism, they call that.

When I was playing Tyranny I could get up make a sandwich come back to the desk, and it still would be loading. Anywhere from 5 -25 minutes sometimes, and Obsidian blamed a codec pack. It must be a flaw in the code engine, or how it handles map loading.

Yikes, that definitely shouldn't be happening. I wonder what causes it that affects some users and not others.

Game runs fine but loadtimes are ridiculous for what I'm looking at. I saw the potential correlation between saves and loadtimes, but they were always bad for me, right from the first mission.

Hmm, here was one response from Obsidian on a Unity problem.

We've determined that there is a Unity issue that was fixed for Pillars of Eternity, but has since regressed to a non-working state in the newer version of Unity we're using for Tyranny. The problem is that the mechanism we're using to load character portrait art (and potentially a few other things) from disk can also be used to download files from servers. Because of this, Unity queries the Windows Proxy Settings for the currently logged-in user prior to deciding that it needs to load the file from disk instead. On some users' machines, the contents of the Windows Network Connections will include entries generated by third-party software such as LogMeIn Hamachi and VMWare. The Windows function that Unity uses to get the Proxy Settings for the user tends to hang for long periods of time if it encounters one of those third-party network connections. It's probably not able to get what it wants and just ends up waiting for a timeout. I suggest looking in Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center to see if there are any network connections added by third-party software. If there are, try disabling them to see if it fixes the problem. Please let us know what you find.

Not to say that's the only problem, or the cause here, but it's probably the sort of thing that's going on. Can't imagine why loading a bit of data would take so long unless something is getting held up somewhere.

Hmm, here was one response from Obsidian on a Unity problem.
Yeah that was the response given by Obsidian. They also patched the game to a 64 bit version to help stop the load times, but it didn't work. Just search long load times.

Installing it to an SSD helps but it only made loading times a little faster.

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt an SSD would do much to improve this kind of problem. I very much doubt the issue is disk throughput. Something silly is going wrong, somewhere.

Game runs fine but loadtimes are ridiculous for what I'm looking at. I saw the potential correlation between saves and loadtimes, but they were always bad for me, right from the first mission.

Agreed.

Actually, "time" is about the greatest issue I have with the game.
  • Load times.
  • Time used to switch between management screens.
  • Time for own/enemy moves (I want a speed-up button!).
  • Time for unskippable travel or battle video sequences.
  • Having to physically! wait for travel / repair / healing / refit progress, without an option to speed things up.

The only non-time issue may be the opponent AI, which is sometimes doing weird stuff.

Otherwise the game is doing very well. I like the art for the story sequences. The tactical battles are great. Lots of customization (it's battletech).

Thanks for the link Pladio.

Now if only the memory leak and developers would stop using the unity engine. As every RPG or strategy game takes forever to load on map transitions. Tyranny was the worst.

Oddly, I had the most frustration with Dungeon Rats. Takes forever to load. And it's not a Unity game.

Back
Top Bottom