Things you don't need to know...

Well what a day today as I fell down five wooden steps on my rented house. The damn landlord hasn't treated the wood for algae, and moss so they get slippery in rain.

Now I have a bruised back and ass.:mad:

Very sad. I've been through this with one too many people.

He is very honest, almost brutally honest. I take a bow at him.

Well what a day today as I fell down five wooden steps on my rented house. The damn landlord hasn't treated the wood for algae, and moss so they get slippery in rain.

Now I have a bruised back and ass.:mad:

Get well soon !

Hope no damage done, Couch.

Is there anything I actually need to know in this thread ?

Hopefully not. If all posters lived up to the intention and spirit of the thread - no. However. I suspect not every poster did, so there may actually be something useful somewhere within the 84 pages.

pibbur who won't tell you where.

Holding something in your hand, while walking around, looking for something else is not recommended.

pibbur who may have violated the first and second rule of the thread.

In some places it is actually illegal; and yes you need to know that if you live in one of those places.

Holding something in your hand, while walking around, looking for something else is not recommended.

pibbur who may have violated the first and second rule of the thread.

In some places it is actually illegal; and yes you need to know that if you live in one of those places.

Eh.. Are we thinking about the same things?

pibbur who wonders where and hopes it's not Norway.

Pibs, I had to laugh at your calling 20 degrees summer heat; to me that is a cool, but pleasant winter's day!! :)

Heh, I know that. Thing is, I don't like it when temperature exceeds 20 C. You can always compensate for cold temperatures by putting on more clothes. But there's a limit to how many clothes you can take off.

pibbur who (to some degree) also doesn't like it when it's not raining.

PS. Unfortunately, according to weather reports (not Weather Report) it will be sunny here the next 10 days or so. DS.

Last edited:
I quite agree, I like a temperature of around fifteen, that's just about perfect for me. This morning, from seven am to eight am, our temperature went up by six entire degrees, currently twenty and expected to exceed thirty in a few hours. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

I've been in Arizona late in May (or was it September?), with temperatures around 40 C. It was like a wall hit me every time I went outside.

pibbur who is convinced that places like that are not habitable.

PS. This year's Badwater Ultra Maraton (217km non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney) takes place from July 24 to 26. Yes, the idea is to run at the most inhospitable time of the year. DS.

How can I know what you are thinking. But there is a city that outlawed walking and texting….

My issue was that the other day, I went looking for my crossword pen, while carrying a cup of coffee. When I eventually found my pen, I couldn't remember where I'd put down my cup.

Of course, if I then had started a search for the cup, while at the same time carrying the pen … you can guess what could have happened. Don't remember what I did. All I know is that now, I have two crossword pens in my pocketses, while my cup of coffee (if I have one) is … somewhere else.

pibbur who admits that he quite likely would also have forgot where, if he'd put down the cup before going on the where's-my-crossword-pen search.

PS: A Corollary: "Den som taber sin ene handske, er heldig i forhold til den, som taber den ene, kasserer den annen, og finder den første igen". Piet Hein aka Kumbel. DS.

PPS: It's Danish. DS.

PPPS. Translation: "He who loses one glove, is lucky, compared to he (him?), who loses one, throws the other away, and finds the first one again." DS.

Yeah, I spent part of my youth in South Carolina and Georgia, I used to be well acquainted with heat. Then I moved north a bit, and traded some of that heat for a wallop of humidity, which I found even worse.

I prefer Canada. At least where I live, I really only have to worry about serious heat for maybe four months, tops. After that, I get to worry about snow drifts and negative temperatures!!

Yeah, I spent part of my youth in South Carolina and Georgia, I used to be well acquainted with heat. Then I moved north a bit, and traded some of that heat for a wallop of humidity, which I found even worse.

I prefer Canada. At least where I live, I really only have to worry about serious heat for maybe four months, tops. After that, I get to worry about snow drifts and negative temperatures!!

The wife went to an antique book store the other day, and came back with a present for me. A booklet called "Vår Sol" ("Our Sun"). It's written for young people. Can't find a publishing date, but the language, and the fact that the author knows about Pluto indicates some times in the 1930s.

It's fascinating. There are lots of correct facts about the sun, such as the mass, the distance and so on, but there are quite a few peculiarities.

1. It's explicitly directed at boys (girls mentioned in a parenthesis).
  2. No knowledge about what is the energy source.
  3. To illustrate the distance, it presents the following example: "a fast train, running at 60 kmph would take 300 years to reach the sun"
  4. The orbit of the earth about the sun is correctly described as determined by gravity between the sun ant the earth, and the inertia of the earth. And this has been going on for thousands of years, maybe millions.
  5. Sunspots are described, but there's no knowledge of what causes them, it is suggested that they arise from dark matter (hot Dark Matter) coming up from the depth of the sun by some volcanic process.
pibbur who found it cute.

PS: According to Wikipedia: "The earliest extant report of sunspots dates back to the Chinese Book of Changes, c. 800 BC". And: "The earliest surviving record of deliberate sunspot observation dates from 364 BC, based on comments by Chinese astronomer Gan De in a star catalogue" DS.

Last edited:
Weather wise I prefer Boulder but Boston isn't so bad. The weather has changed a lot in Boston since I moved here; fewer humid days and the temp all over the map from cold summers to warm winters. Each year is a unique experience.

Back
Top Bottom