What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

What I found the most irritating about this Robin Hood movie, was it's blatant departure from known history regarding King Richard the Lionheart. Also, the film didn't "wow" me as much as Ridley Scott's other movies; don't know why…

Anyway, I finally got to watch Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time. Well, I feel pretty confident that if you love the POP games, and don't take anything seriously, you will also enjoy this movie, which seemed to have pretty much enough running, shooting, jumping and swinging (well, perhaps not as much swinging as in the games), with swordplay and nasty snakes and assasins thrown in, to boot.
Quite entertaining. :D
Oh, and don't forget the princess… - she was there too… :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
For one thing, Chuck Norris is such a wooden actor no matter what he plays.

That's becauce Chuck chucks wood, no matter how much wood Chuck would chuck he would still chuck wood.

I liked Starship Troopers, fun movie!

Also watched "Big Bad Wolf", a sorta bizarre werewolf movie featuring a wolfman that rattles off one liners the entire time a la' late era Freddy Krueger. I dont particularly like that kind of "comedian killer" routine. If it was actually funny material, maybe it wouldnt be so bad. Actually, I liked the movie more when the corny werewolf was in human form, trying to avoid detection from his suspicious stepson and gloriously hot and slutty metal-head teen girlfriend. It was fun, a good netflix rental for the evening.

I just wasted an hour and a half of my life watching Drag Me to Hell. At first glance it looks right up my street. It's about a young woman who angers a gypsy and gets a curse put on her. The curse is that a dark spirit will come and take her soul in three days.

Sounds good. But it was made by the the same guys who made the Evil Dead movies. Evil Dead 2 was brilliant and achieved a comedy horror vibe which was very entertaining. This movie was a serious horror, but it still employed the same devices and similar style of Evil Dead 2… with disastrous results.

On top of that it was just kind of… awkward to watch. There was one scene after another of this woman being embarrassed or going through some situation where she was humiliated; comedically spewing blood all over her boss at work, falling on the body of the old woman at her wake, hearing voices and freaking out in front of her boyfriends conservative, posh parents, et cetera et cetera

Then, after you sit through it all you must endure the final "twist", which a blind man would have seen coming from about a mile away, leaving you completely unsatisfied with the ending.

Plus, since the movie had such obvious religious overtones, you might reasonably ask why would God allow an innocent person's soul to be taken to hell by a demon. Such a question was never even posed, let alone answered.

If I am to use the Bill Hicks movie rating system, I'd give it a "piece of sh*t."

Thank you.

I thought Drag me to Hell was pretty good actually. There were definitely, as you were implying, some pretty nasty parts of the film tho. Like when the old bird's corpse falls on her and just so happens to link mouth to mouth with her, and starts draining embalming fluid or whatever…

good Lord of the Tigers **facepalm

On top of that it was just kind of… awkward to watch. There was one scene after another of this woman being embarrassed or going through some situation where she was humiliated; comedically spewing blood all over her boss at work, falling on the body of the old woman at her wake, hearing voices and freaking out in front of her boyfriends conservative, posh parents, et cetera et cetera.

Don't forget my personal favorite, "Here Kitty Kitty."

The rat in me laughed out load at that part,
but when she was dragged to hell the cat owner in me went "Yea!!! Take that you kitty killing Beeaaatch!!!" It's hard living with two personalities sometimes :D

Don't forget my personal favorite, "Here Kitty Kitty."

The rat in me laughed out load at that part,
but when she was dragged to hell the cat owner in me went "Yea!!! Take that you kitty killing Beeaaatch!!!" It's hard living with two personalities sometimes :D

Yeah she shouldn't have killed the kitty. I wouldn't have killed the kitty.

I saw Devil tonight.

I enjoyed it, at least more so than the last couple of films that M. Night Shyamalan gave us. I think he should stick to writing, and leave the directing for others, like he did here.

It's probably his darkest film, and brings back some of the atmosphere from his earlier movies. It's got a great plot twist, although I saw it coming from a mile away.

Predators

Old school movie similar to the first Predator. A little low on action, but a lot of suspense. Solid acting for this kind of movie. Two good performances and no weak one.
I enjoyed it. It's not as good as the excellent first two Predator movies, but fun to watch, has the right length and gets straight to the point. It could have a bit more action and violence. Certainly no disappointment.
B-

watched "Shrooms"

Cool movie about a bunch of kids that go tripping out on shrooms in the dense woods. Backwoods regressed hillbillies, old haunted houses, and stalking killers torment them til the Final Girl makes her exit stage left. Or do they?

It's one of those movies in which what reality is and isnt is unclear, since theyre all tripping on hallucinogens. It was cool, I liked it. totally hot latina/injun girl in it too

I saw a really good sci fi horror today called Pandorum. It's about the crew of a gigantic space ship who wake up out of hyper sleep with their memories missing. They don't know where they are or what's going on. They have to venture out into this huge ship to try to discover who they are and what they must do. There they discover the true horror of their situation.

It was really well done, well acted and so forth but what I liked about it was it had the horror elements but it didn't go overboard on the gore or the intensity like modern horror does. The thing today seems to be to make the film as absolutely intense as possible and then finish with the most bleak, total bummer of an ending. This was a dark, forboding thriller but it kept a good balance and had
an upbeat ending which I found really refreshing

There were some interesting psychological elements that made it quite interesting too, it wasn't just people trying to survive against
the monsters kind of thing

I'd pretty much had it mostly figured out in half an hour but it was still good.

I'd recommend it and The Book of Eli for some good sci fi horror/thriller/action films.

Also watched Iron Man 2. It's quite okay. Similar to the first one. It has one great action scene (the one without Iron Man). The middle part is 15 minutes too long.

Average, but if you could tolerate the first film you'll also enjoy this one.

Weather sucks so i was forced to stay inside all weekend long and watch few older movies including :
Traitor - very nice one although a bit on the extreme of Usan terror phobia , i didn't like the end.
Iron man (1) - i was drunk so it was fun , i don't think that it is okay to watch while sober
Thick as thiefs - Not bad

The latest Romero zombie opus "Survival of the Dead" shuffled it's way onto my screen earlier this evening.

Overall it wasnt that bad, kinda on par w/ the last one "Diary of the Dead". That said, the premise is a bit more jaw-dropping this time around, when The Survivors land themselves on an island between a good old fashioned family feud - those who waste any zombie they see, and the others who want to basically co-exist with the zombies. Until, um a cure is found or something…

This leads to some bizarre and creepy visuals, as zombies are chained up in their former domestic occupations by the zombie-lovers, forever going thru the motions. I'm sure that Romero is going for some message here about our everyday mundane existences or somthing. But there's some good zombie deaths, and a few kinda creepy moments, even a horseback zombie. George stretches things a bit more than usual tho, with stealth-zombies popping right up next to people over and over again, in what turns into a pretty tired gimmick move.

Ah whatever, it's worth a rental. It's no classic like the Trilogy tho

The latest Romero zombie opus "Survival of the Dead" shuffled it's way onto my screen earlier this evening.

Overall it wasnt that bad, kinda on par w/ the last one "Diary of the Dead". That said, the premise is a bit more jaw-dropping this time around, when The Survivors land themselves on an island between a good old fashioned family feud - those who waste any zombie they see, and the others who want to basically co-exist with the zombies. Until, um a cure is found or something…

This leads to some bizarre and creepy visuals, as zombies are chained up in their former domestic occupations by the zombie-lovers, forever going thru the motions. I'm sure that Romero is going for some message here about our everyday mundane existences or somthing. But there's some good zombie deaths, and a few kinda creepy moments, even a horseback zombie. George stretches things a bit more than usual tho, with stealth-zombies popping right up next to people over and over again, in what turns into a pretty tired gimmick move.

Ah whatever, it's worth a rental. It's no classic like the Trilogy tho

I've been keen to rent that one but it's not out here (New Zealand). Might I ask where you are?

And if you're a zombie fan and you haven't heard check out The Walking Dead which premieres in the US on Halloween.

Back
Top Bottom