Everything Releasing in August

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Are indie developers insane? There was virtually no competition June and July but here we are with everything releasing in August. Now we will have a survival of the fittest competition, with only the best or most well known indies doing well while the rest under-perform.

Do they not look at what everyone else is doing!? :'(

Well count me as another to say I'm surprised to see so many August releases as usually the whole summer is a dry spell until the holiday season begins in September-February.

With this much competition it must be hard to compete and get good sales.

Summer is usually the height of my replay season, so I'm used to not expecting new games during these months. However, those months might be quite advantageous times to release your new products, especially for smaller outfits.

Summer is usually the height of my replay season, so I'm used to not expecting new games during these months. However, those months might be quite advantageous times to release your new products, especially for smaller outfits.

I hope you are right.

Meh, I'm saturated and have stopped paying attention. Glancing at the released/up coming list and the only thing I recognize Banner Saga.... And not because I've actually played the other two.

Are indie developers insane? There was virtually no competition June and July but here we are with everything releasing in August. Now we will have a survival of the fittest competition, with only the best or most well known indies doing well while the rest under-perform.

Do they not look at what everyone else is doing!? :'(
Which everything?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well to be honest only two of them have high interest from myself: Phantom Doct; dos-2 .

A couple of others i might peak at but then there are 4 more in sept.... no i'm not going to buy them all. These days I restrict myself to stuff i actually want to play at the time of purchase.

Stuff I'm interested in below:

August:
Yakuza 0
Star Traders: Frontiers
Sword Legacy: Omen
Phantom Doctrine
Graveyard Keeper

September:
Underworld Ascendant
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Valkyria Chronicles 4

I will have to put off purchase for quite some time for some of them. I want them all to do well. I thought Expeditions: Vikings would do better but that got overlooked. Thats the games market I guess. Now who knows if we will see a next game. :-/

Yea the 4 in sept are very high on my list. Of course vc-4 is technically October :)

August:
Yakuza 0
Phantom Doctrine
Graveyard Keeper

September:
Underworld Ascendant
Valkyria Chronicles 4

I will have to put off purchase for quite some time for some of them. I want them all to do well. I thought Expeditions: Vikings would do better but that got overlooked. Thats the games market I guess. Now who knows if we will see a next game. :-/

Mostly phantom doctrine for me from that list.

I played through banner saga 3 and I am playing this is the police 2.
The other one for August is two point hospital...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

August:
Yakuza 0
Phantom Doctrine
Graveyard Keeper

September:
Underworld Ascendant
Valkyria Chronicles 4

From top to bottom:

August:
No
No
No
Yes, of course
???????? WTF

September:
Yes, although I haven't backed that
Yes, of course
Kinda
No. At least , not now

I think most indie developers tend to release games as soon as they finish the game because they probably need what money they can get ASAP and can't really afford advertising anyway. Also, unless they had a wildly successful Kickstarter, have a previous game that was wildly successful, or sell a lot of copies they're not going to get much gaming news coverage. It's probably wise to try not to release during E3 or within a week of a AAA release, especially if it's the same genre. Beyond that though, I'm not sure there's an ideal time for game releases. Since they usually don't get much coverage they have to rely more on word of mouth & slowly building up fanbase overtime.

Then again, some indie developers seem pretty bad at marketing. Many don't even do the free things such as create an Indiedb page, social media accounts, game profiles on sites like Neoseeker & Giantbomb, (or don't even post on forums like RPGWatch prior to release ).

Anyway, nothing releasing this month or next that I'm super excited about. I got Star Traders 2 because I backed it (it was only $5). Phantom Doctrine and Unavowed are on my GOG wishlist, but I'm not sure I'll get them at release unless they have overwhelmingly positive reviews. I'm sure I'll check out the first episode of Pendula Swing because it's free.

Still hoping Disco Elysium gets released by the end of the year as planned or 2018 will be a rather disappointing year for RPGs, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom