Final Fantasy XVI - Might be a Timed PS5 Exclusive

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Gamer reports that Final Fantasy 16 might be a timed PS5 exclusive citing a recent advertisement.

According to a brand new PlayStation Brazil advertisement that launched today, it looks like Final Fantasy 16 might be a timed PS5 exclusive.

The Playstation ad detailed which games will be coming/are on the next-gen console this year, the first three games being Deathloop, Ghostwire: Tokyo, and Godfall - all of which will also be available on PC. This fact is even mentioned in the ad.

[...]

More information.

Final Fantasy is always a timed Playstation exclusive.

Microsoft should consider another Bethesda-sized acquisition.
Coincidentally, Square-Enix is also valued at $7B.

The US version of FFXIII came out on ps3 and xbox 360 on the same day (9th march 2010). It did come out earlier in Japan on the ps3 first, so there was technically exclusivity over there, but there was no exclusivity for the English versions.

On the other hand, both the US and JP version of FFXV came out on both ps4 and xbox one on the same day, 29th November 2016. So no exclusivity anywhere for that one.

So playstation exclusivity wasn't a guarantee for FF games based on the most recent entries.

Yeah not a surprise as Square-Enix has been in Sony's pocket for years. Sony basically owns the studio in all but name. Mostly due to money and timed exclusive contracts.

Fun fact here you go.

Rumor: Microsoft Making Another Bethesda-Level Acquisition This Year - Gamerant
From the sounds of recent rumors, Microsoft isn't satisfied with having just Bethesda. Apparently, the corporation is looking to add more big-name video game developers to its roster. Exactly what companies Microsoft could be interested in remains a mystery, and there's nothing in recent grapevines suggesting developers are looking to sell. Even if there was, they would be rumors like this one, and would also need to be taken with a grain of salt.
I don't know who this guy is, but I've been hearing the same thing for months, that Microsoft wants to acquire another publisher, negotiations with bethesda lasted 3 years, as I've been pointing out, I believe the announcement will be at the end of 2021 or the beginning of 2022
Shared this a few months back.

I think the odds of Microsoft acquiring Square Enix are slim to none. Square is iconic in Japan, and I don't see them selling out to an American company.

The US version of FFXIII came out on ps3 and xbox 360 on the same day (9th march 2010). It did come out earlier in Japan on the ps3 first, so there was technically exclusivity over there, but there was no exclusivity for the English versions.

On the other hand, both the US and JP version of FFXV came out on both ps4 and xbox one on the same day, 29th November 2016. So no exclusivity anywhere for that one.

So playstation exclusivity wasn't a guarantee for FF games based on the most recent entries.

The most recent entry was Final Fantasy VII Remake. ;)

Might as well be a typewriter2000 exclusive.

I am, finally, fully done with Final Fantasy games. They just stopped being what I consider remotely enjoyable.

I am, finally, fully done with Final Fantasy games. They just stopped being what I consider remotely enjoyable.
True after Final Fantasy 13 the series itself does nothing for me as well. They started chasing the western audience, and lost most of the talent over the years.

Anyway I seen this happening since the PS3 and the new generation of consoles.

Last edited:
I think the odds of Microsoft acquiring Square Enix are slim to none. Square is iconic in Japan, and I don't see them selling out to an American company.

I think it will be sega, also iconic....but very much a team xbox group...

People will say not square enix, and you are right, however atlus comes with sega.

I actually enjoyed the final fantasy 7 remake....not sure if it had a lot to do with nostalgia but I found it very fun.

FF7 Remake was lots of fun for me either. One of few games in past years I played in one breath. Great pace, no filler content, entertaining combat. Not really deep RPG, but treat of a game as per my opinion.

I think it will be sega, also iconic….but very much a team xbox group…

People will say not square enix, and you are right, however atlus comes with sega.

That would be interesting. Sega has been in a downward trend for a long time. A merger might be what they need to revitalize them, and Microsoft would get some high-profile name brands.

I'm just not sure how much interest MS has in a Japanese company that's had limited success in western markets in recent years.

Yeah, you're right... I forgot about that one. Nevertheless, the new PS exclusivity deal doesn't surprise anyone.

O_O

Oh dear.... I need to clean up my brain bits and push them back in through my ears.

I think it will be sega, also iconic….but very much a team xbox group…

Sega was almost bought by Microsoft in the early 2000's but failed as Microsoft considered it not worth the asking price. Though nowadays it's a different story.

As Sega has a big presence on the PC market with strategy games.

Link - https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news...ed-enough-muscle-to-be-acquired-by-microsoft/
Microsoft decided against acquiring Sega to enter the console market as it deemed the company lacked the muscle to compete with Sony, a former Microsoft exec has claimed.

Speaking to IGN, former VP of Windows sales Joachim Kempin said Microsoft had seriously looked at buying Sega to make a new console, given the high costs of creating hardware.

Despite licensing Windows CE to Sega to run on its hardware, Kempin claimed this wasn’t enough for Microsoft, and in the end Bill Gates didn’t think Sega was strong enough to oust rivals such as Sony’s PlayStation.

As a result, Microsoft decided to enter the console market with its own hardware, and launched the first Xbox in 2001.

"There were three companies at that point in time, I think this was [Sony,] Sega and Nintendo,” said Kempin.

“There was always talk maybe we buy Sega or something like that; that never materialised, but we were actually able to license them what they call Windows CE, the younger brother of Windows, to run on their system and make that their platform.

"But for Bill Gates this wasn’t enough, he didn’t think that Sega had enough muscle to eventually stop Sony so we did our own Xbox thing. There were some talks but it never materialised because Sega was a very different bird. It was always Sony and Nintendo, right? And Nintendo had some financial trouble at that point in time, so Sony came out with the PlayStation and bang! They took off, and everyone else was left behind."

Nintendo needs to be bought by EA. That's the only way to bury that cancerous company.

Back
Top Bottom