Mass Effect Legendary Edition - Gameplay Tuning, Rebalancing and More

Thanks.
So all the enhanced editions of infinity engines would qualify as remasters. What would be considered a remake?

Basically you would remake the game with a new engine like Unity. So the game would be completely different then the original. Probably add or change the content as well.

On the other-hand you could alter the combat to a different type of ARPG or TB as well.

How would you define remaster vs remake?

I'm not familiar with the differences.

I think the easiest way to think of a remaster is that it's basically the same game with a new coat of paint.

A remake is usually a reimagining of the story. Like what they're doing with Gothic.

Thanks.
So all the enhanced editions of infinity engines would qualify as remasters. What would be considered a remake?

Sometimes it's a bit in the grey zone. Maybe Black Mesa is a good example. Valve gave away the source code back then, you had to sign an NDA to get the full Half-Life SDK with source code but it wasn't too hard to get if you had a company or a university to back you up.

The BM team didn't only change the graphics engine and retouched the maps, they entirely remade part of them. So while they didn't start from scratch, they modified the game quite heavily, and it's generally considered as a remake.

In comparison, Baldur's Gate Reloaded is a full remake from scratch as a custom campaign for the NWN 2, at the exception of the sounds and videos. There's no doubt it's a remake.

The Metro Redux is a remaster, even though the modifications in the engine must have been quite heavy, especially for 2033 (even targeting other platforms IIRC). It's a "complete remaster" ;)

Thanks.

The new PS5 version of Demon's Souls would be a remake. New engine and remade assets. But all done as faithful to the original as possible.

There is also the term reboot which is usually a remake but in a different vision. Whatever vision means. :D

I've decided by now this is day 1 purchase for me. ME was the game/trilogy that created one of the deepest bonds I ever felt between me and my character, all through the three games to the epic (some say controversial) finale. I've seen some of the images of those renovated graphics, particle effects, weather effects, etc. It looks gorgeous and it's been long enough that I'm very much excited and looking forward to do a full playthrough with the release of the Legendary Edition.

Am I the only one who finds the visual upgrades underwhelming?
No. For some comparisons I haven't even noticed an actual improvement. Some others look indeed better than the original but it's not that it's by a large margin.

ME was the game/trilogy that created one of the deepest bonds I ever felt between me and my character, all through the three games to the epic (some say controversial) finale.
Yep, same here.

I've seen some of the images of those renovated graphics, particle effects, weather effects, etc. It looks gorgeous and it's been long enough that I'm very much excited and looking forward to do a full playthrough with the release of the Legendary Edition.
If I had planned another playthough anyway I'd buy this as well.
But I don't intend to replay it anytime soon.
In my memory the game "looks" better then even the legendary edition, so it would be a downgrade, if you get what I mean.
So I guess I won't buy it at all.

I wonder if this repackaged edition will managed to win me over. I dropped Mass Effect 1 like a hot potatoe, after reaching the poing where you join the Spectres. The fact that Bioware kept using the same old tired ego-stroking childish premise (your character gets to join some secret/cool order, and then gets to do whatever) that they used in almost all their games, put me off so hard I never picked it up again. Probably the game also didn't do much else for me, to keep me intrigued. I'll give it another try, and will probably get over the cringe, and hope for better stuff later on. I keep hearing how Mass Effect 2 was so good.

I wonder if this repackaged edition will managed to win me over. I dropped Mass Effect 1 like a hot potatoe, after reaching the poing where you join the Spectres. The fact that Bioware kept using the same old tired ego-stroking childish premise (your character gets to join some secret/cool order, and then gets to do whatever) that they used in almost all their games, put me off so hard I never picked it up again. Probably the game also didn't do much else for me, to keep me intrigued. I'll give it another try, and will probably get over the cringe, and hope for better stuff later on. I keep hearing how Mass Effect 2 was so good.

I enjoyed it enough to finish the trilogy, but I largely agree with what you said there. I'm always surprised to see people talking about how great the story was and how deeply they connected with the characters. I thought the writing and characters were very average for the most part. The Illusive Man was the only one I found memorable.

I enjoyed it enough to finish the trilogy, but I largely agree with what you said there. I'm always surprised to see people talking about how great the story was and how deeply they connected with the characters. I thought the writing and characters were very average for the most part. The Illusive Man was the only one I found memorable.

To me it may have been matter of timing. I don't know, maybe the fact that you could make a female Shepard, and actually make meaningful choices made it so much easier to relate to the main character and bond with her than 99% of the RPGs out there at the time.

There is a lot of nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses too, as always anyone remembers good past times, but I'm pretty sure I'll have a pretty great time replaying it whole either way, and the Legendary Edition feels like a great opportunity to do so.

I think the writing was mostly decent, with some standout moments. The gameplay I would say was serviceable, and the RPG mechanics weak. But what really worked for me was the immersion and the exploration. I really wanted to explore new places, and find out new things, and that's a massive part of the enjoyment, for me. In that regard, ME delivered.

I think the writing was mostly decent, with some standout moments. The gameplay I would say was serviceable, and the RPG mechanics weak. But what really worked for me was the immersion and the exploration. I really wanted to explore new places, and find out new things, and that's a massive part of the enjoyment, for me. In that regard, ME delivered.

I get the immersion part, but exploration? Other than the Mako sections in ME1, there's not much exploration to be had. At least what I consider meaningful exploration.

I think the best part for me was the sci-fi opera vibe. Especially since there are so few RPGs that offer a similar setting. Had it not been for that, I'm not sure I would have finished it.

I get the immersion part, but exploration? Other than the Mako sections in ME1, there's not much exploration to be had. At least what I consider meaningful exploration.

Yeah, exploration in that sense wasn't that great. Perhaps "discovery" is a better way of putting it. I was always intrigued by the possibility of going to new locations, which is exploration of a kind, but I get what you mean.

Yeah, exploration in that sense wasn't that great. Perhaps "discovery" is a better way of putting it. I was always intrigued by the possibility of going to new locations, which is exploration of a kind, but I get what you mean.

Have you tried Andromeda? It has some issues, but the exploration is stronger. I also found the combat significantly more engaging.

Have you tried Andromeda? It has some issues, but the exploration is stronger. I also found the combat significantly more engaging.

I tried it, but decided to wait for patching, and DLC that never came. Then just never got round to it. I should give it a proper play. I was kind of put off in the early days, though not because of the pile-on. Just that the trailers and previews really didn't do it for me, and I detected the whiff of writing that could irritate me.

I agree with the sense of "Discovery" more than exploration. But more than that, ME is the only game I can think of that can summon really strong feelings on demand, just by thinking on lines like "Do I have a soul?" or "It had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong." And probably anyone who has played and loved ME can be instantly transported to those moments and can relate.

I've read in this thread that NPCs weren't that great, but I can't but disagree with that. I suppose the superb full voice acting helps to connect with those entities, but thinking of Mordin, Grunt, Garrus, Legion, Jack, Tali… dunno, to me there isn't any game even close to that variety of greatly written NPCs. Opinions, huh!

Back
Top Bottom