Blu-ray collection

I've been pondering this for some time, and I thought I'd take the plunge this holiday season. I've never owned a blu-ray player or movies generally. But I thought I'd like to start my film/tv-series collection. And since I imagine it will be some time until the next storage disc format will come along, I thought blu-ray would be a good option to go with.

So here's my initial list of must own, which I imagine, I will be building on for some time to come.

Lord of the Rings
Twin Peaks
Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul
The Wire
Deadwood
Mr. Robot
LOST
The Leftovers
The Sopranos
Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
Blade Runner / Blade Runner 2049
The Office
Seinfeld
Game of Thrones
Fargo
True Detective
Westworld
House of Cards
The Terror

I realize it's mostly tv-series so far, and I intend to add more movies, but I also want to be extremely picky about what I add. I don't want it to get out of hand. I only want movies/series that I consider absolute must-watch ones. And for tv-series that means the series has to have already ended, and overall I must qualify it as must-watch.

Anyone else have any other series/films they'd like to recommend as must-watch?

For Lord of the Rings, be sure to get the extended complete version and not the theatrical release. (though this will make it almost impossible to binge-watch all three in one day).

You should also add Boardwalk Empire, for a sort-of deadwood/sopranos middle-era in US crime history.

Also Blackadder, of course. Fawlty Towers and other Monty Python material.

I've no doubt you'll be inundated with more & I could add loads more, but I think the above are definitely must-haves for you looking at your list.

For Lord of the Rings, be sure to get the extended complete version and not the theatrical release. (though this will make it almost impossible to binge-watch all three in one day).

Yeah, that's the first one I ordered, it's the one with the another 12+ hours of making of content for each movie, besides the extended cuts of each one. I remember watching the "making of" content about 10+ years ago, having borrowed a similar edition from the local library. And I want to own it. It's fantastic seeing how the sausage is made, in LOTR. Unbelievable effort went into it.

When I was a young student in the early 90s we sometimes visited a friends older brother who had a large plasma tv, surround audio system and a laserdisc player, things that were not in any way common for a private citizen at the time at least not in sweden (he had gotten them cheap from a failed consolegames shop)
We used to drink far to much and before we left for the nigthclubs we always watched the helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now
If you´re getting the proper systems to view and listen to bombastic things I would heartily recommend that movie not just for the scene but in it´s entirety

The Shield
Boardwalk Empire
Southland
Curb your enthusiasm

And yes, Alien and The Thing is a must imo... I also have a special collection with the Predator movies in a really cool predator 1:1 (or close to at least) head with removable mask :D

Hmm, of everything mentioned here, I have only seen Lord of the Rings; oops and the original Alien.

As someone with over 3000 3.5" diskettes, I too avoid assuming tech will slow down :)

As the owner of 600+ cds and 200+ DVDs that do little but gather dust balls these days, I recommend against your plan ;)

I recommend you instead curb your enthusiasm for retaining everything you liked and instead simply retain the things you think you'll watch again in the near future.

I have two stacks of DVDs, one is the inbox that contains 30 or 40 items to watch that I've never seen before and then there's the retain box, which contains about 100 items I'll watch again at some point, and then I have the temporary outbox, which contains everything I'll either sell or donate from the inbox once seen.

If something lingers in the retain box for too long and I decide I probably wont watch it again in the next couple of years, out it goes. If there's no more room in the outbox then I make a hard decision and eject something to make way for a new item.

If your items are just collecting dust, why do you even keep them?

I'm picky with my collection and I still have over 3000 Blu-rays. Like any collection it makes me feel good to just look over the spines and recall moments from the movies. I used to do this with my vinyl record collection too, just look at the covers and I'd hear the music, no need to play them! I've also enjoyed dusting things off to show my son over the years.

Yes indeed, that's one of the main reasons to keep stuff for me as well, to have to show someone else should the need ever arise.

A good example of something that's a good film but I wouldn't keep back for more than one view would be something like Easy Rider, a bit like Planescape Torment in that it's a great first ride, but who does one show it too and how much does it ever need rewatching? Certainly a completely different kettle of fish to something like Alien.

Well I certainly have nothing close to 3000 but I've got a small closet full of Blu-Ray and DVDs. And I actually watch them all the time! Great for watching while eating.

For things that were moved to Blu-Ray long ago, I would actually recommend DVD. Older editions of Blu-Ray don't seem to know how to pick up where they left off. For instance, I'm re-watching the Babylon 5 series right now which is DVD. I just hit the "play all" and watch until I want to stop. The next day I sit down, hit play, and it starts right up where it left off.

Newer Blu-Ray discs (maybe 4 years old or less??) can resume from where you stopped and there's some close to that time that can "book mark" your spot via the green button. Or at least that's how it has been with my player.

Back
Top Bottom