Winter has come

So lots of snow, -6 C, cold wind… :( here's something I didn't miss.

Here's how it looks like outside in Quebec City. I do not live here, but I am frequently here for work assignments. I wanted to take a walk outside before going back to my hotel room but the temperature doesn't make me very keen to remain here too long! Thankfully I brought my Moose Knuckles coat.

winterqcr.jpg

Moose knuckle... no, never mind, I probably don't want to know... ;)

More pictures of my nocturnal excursion and the city's wintery coat:

winterqc1.jpg

A shopping mall in the vicinity.

winterqc2.jpg

An overpass where we can see on the horizon the south shore of the St-Lawrence river. We can also discern the two bridges leading Lévis to Quebec City: to the right is the Pierre Laporte bridge, which dates from the seventies, and to the left is the faint image of the Pont de Québec which dates from the early 20th century… in all its rusty glory.

winterqc3.jpg

winterqc4.jpg

winterqc5.jpg

High voltage lines carrying hydroelectricity from the Arctic North of Quebec to the rest of the province. We can see again the south shore on the horizon and the St Lawrence.

winterqc6.jpg

The same mall from the point of view of an overpass.

I walked a lot more and am now back extenuated to my hotel room where I am enthralled by the heat and about to fall into a delirious sleep.

It was over 32 degrees C here today and I had visitors over for lunch who enjoyed relaxing in my spa as well, what winter??!! :D

Your winter looks nice, Hhr! :), though I'm glad it's still fall here at my place, both by day and by night:

Attachments

• 2014-11-22 16.12.46.jpg
    2014-11-22 16.12.46.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 23
  • 2014-11-22 16.16.41.jpg
    2014-11-22 16.16.41.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 2014-11-22 16.19.17.jpg
    2014-11-22 16.19.17.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
  • slender1.jpg
    slender1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 19
  • slender2.jpg
    slender2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 19
  • slender3.jpg
    slender3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
It was over 32 degrees C here today and I had visitors over for lunch who enjoyed relaxing in my spa as well, what winter??!! :D

How is the temperature in Australia in August ? Is it a good time to visit ?

@gothicgothness
August is the coldest month in the south about 7-8 degrees c to 12-14 degrees C in Melbourne. Up North August is pretty lovely. Where will you be going or seeing?

Yeah rub it in. I know you remember Canadian winters lol.

What would someone from Vancouver know about Canadian winters, or who used to live in Toronto for that matter? :p In the prairies or in the east now that would be different. Here in the North St Lawrence shore it is the place in the civilized world where there are the most abundant snowfalls along with Siberia.

When I went to Toronto in the winter it was markedly warmer, and when I told people that the temperature got so low in Quebec in the winter at times they were spooked, to them -12C was already a big cold.

I will be visiting Montreal and Quebec in December. I hope it stays >0 C, though I do hope for lots of snow.

It seems the great lakes are getting that.

How is the temperature in Australia in August ? Is it a good time to visit ?

As Hurls said, in August you get the coldest weather down in Melb where he lives; in Brisbane (where I am) the daily range is around 8-20 though it has been know to vary either way by a couple of degrees. Further north up by the Reef you'd rarely get it much below 20 and it might go as high as 28. July and August are the main tourist times for the far north as the weather is beautiful. I usually suggest to visitors that they avoid our peak summer Dec-Feb unless they REALLY love it HOT and HUMID!! :)

As Corwin says, reef is stunning in July/August, also good time to visit Uluru. For Melbourne best time is March/April, 15-30 and blue skies. For Tasmania, January 15-25 and lovely soft weather. What are you after??

We had our first snow right before Labour Day here, and right now it is pounding down, between now and Thursday we should get an additional 20 cents of snow on the ground. Only negative ten though, so still warm and balmy!

Oooooh yes, nothing beats bum heaters and windscreen defrosters. In Winter.

What would someone from Vancouver know about Canadian winters, or who used to live in Toronto for that matter? :p In the prairies or in the east now that would be different. Here in the North St Lawrence shore it is the place in the civilized world where there are the most abundant snowfalls along with Siberia.

When I went to Toronto in the winter it was markedly warmer, and when I told people that the temperature got so low in Quebec in the winter at times they were spooked, to them -12C was already a big cold.

It's a tropically mild -40 here in Calgary with the wind today. My hands can't feel my coffee cup. The only good thing about it being -40 is that I don't have to do a Fahrenheit conversion for the southern folks.

And I grew up in Vancouver. It barely ever snowed, but in the dead of winter when it was windy, it could be just as bad because of the coastal moisture in the air.

First snow in Bergen@Norway today. It's already melting away.

Funny thing is, whenever I'm in the US and tell people (like norwegians tend to do) where I come from, I'm met with "oh, it's cold there, isn't it?". While it's definitely true inland and in the northern parts of the country, here on the west coast temperature mostly stays around 0C (32 for you unfortunate Fahrenheit users), with occasional drops below that. Surely there are areas in the US that's colder?

Pibbur who in general prefers the Kelvin scale. 273, yeah.

Pibbur who in general prefers the Kelvin scale. 273, yeah.

I like that.

Yeah, you're just across the water from Scotland - some lovely coast over there. I imagine it gets a bit chilly once you get up to the Barents Sea, though!

Back
Top Bottom