GFWL Doomed?

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
PC Gamer is reporting that GFWL will (probably) be shutting down come July 1, 2014. Let us all rejoice, give thanks, and sing!

http://youtu.be/UZkYGcz1DgI

P.S. U-Play, you're next.

It's shutting down so they can return with something new. They hired former Steam director of business and development Jason Holtman to do just that.

Link-http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/contradictory-headlines-pt-2-msoft-hires-ex-steam-boss/
“Yes, I have joined Microsoft where I will be focusing on making Windows a great platform for gaming and interactive entertainment. I think there is a lot of opportunity for Microsoft to deliver the games and entertainment customers want and to work with developers to make that happen, so I’m excited to be here.”

PC Gamer is reporting that GFWL will (probably) be shutting down come July 1, 2014. Let us all rejoice, give thanks, and sing!

http://youtu.be/UZkYGcz1DgI

P.S. U-Play, you're next.

And the Imperial Wizard said unto Games for Windows Live, "I banish thee to the recycling bin." And it was good and the people rejoiced.

What's couch taters said:
It's shutting down so they can return with something new. They hired former Steam director of business and development Jason Holtman to do just that.

Link-http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013…ex-steam-boss/

Eight months later, in honor of the demon of the lowest level of the stack, eight being his number, the Imperial Wizard summoned the decayed corpse of Games for Windows Live and said unto him, "Return to thy post for thou art now called Windows Games Marketplace." When the people saw the zombie of Games for Windows Live, they were afraid there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Smart of them to dump a horrible trademark, and start a fresh.

Now I hope Microsoft will be smart this time around, I have hopes they are doing this.

Let's say it's called X live or whatever, this platform exists both on the new xbox and on PC ( Ok maybe minus a few Xclusive and kinect titles ), and has all games for both of these, including the ability to play against each other chat with each other and so on.

This way they'll be more competitive and we'll get to see more games on PC.

I don't see they have much to lose on this, only gain.

I think they should just go ahead and make deals with publishers to arrange for an Xbox version of a game automatically meaning the PC version of the game as well. As in, if you own the game on one platform - you own it on the other platform.

Sure, they might lose sales to people who'd normally pay for both - but they'd earn a ton of goodwill, and they'd prevent all the pointless wracking of brains regarding which version to get.

You just buy the game and everyone is happy with the sale.

Last edited:
Sure, they might lose sales to people who'd normally pay for both - but they'd earn a ton of goodwill, and they'd prevent all the pointless wacking of brains regarding which version to get. .

And they'd also strengthen their position against Sony for the coming generation.

Nice news, the question is, what will I do with my two Batman games?
Fable3? Couldn't care less for that one.

Hopefully we'll get some sort of patch for the Batman games. I doubt I'll play the first again but the second is a possibility.

So what does this mean for multiplayer games which use GFWL, such as Dark Souls?

for us unenlightened, what does GFWL mean?

You really are Lucky Day if you've never had to deal with GFWL.;)

I've seen nothing from Microsoft to indicate that they want you gaming on anything other than an Xbox.

I won't be surprised if the relaunch is really an attempt to funnel more people to Xbox rather than do anything for pc gaming.

Oh yeah, it's coming back in some form. MS want their own "app store" and as couch potato posted on the previous page, they just made a big Steam hire.

So what does this mean for multiplayer games which use GFWL, such as Dark Souls?
There was a post that said the servers will be up until sometime in 2014. After that who knows. You will probably be only able to play offline after that.

Right, I'd better get my fix now then! And then pray DS2 lives up to the quality of the first game.

Back
Top Bottom