SW:TOR - Shadow of Revan Expansion

My biggest problem with TOR was always the dreadfully dull side quests. Oh, the stories are ok, but the actual quests are incredibly samey and grindy - especially once you've completed all the planet stories one time.

I always felt the best part of the game was the class stories, but the breaks between them are often WAY too big.

Yes, it's that weird marriage of BioWare narration and MMO grind that doesn't satisfy neither BioWare rpg players nor MMO crowd.

I'm not really too interested in new planets if they don't continue the class stories. That will seem like more grindy content once you clear it with a single character, and AFAIK - the two factions experience much the same stories for the expansion planets?

Couldn't comment on that as I did not play the expansion. But I think that alliance... ummm... rebel... no... republic and imperial sides are somewhat different. Possibly like Taris/Balmorra.

The problem with the 12x speed thing is that you'll be done in a day by just burning through class quests and avoiding everything else.

As for expansion content.. yes, it's quite similar. It's nothing like the pre-level 50 content where the difference is pretty big depending on class and faction.

The problem with the 12x speed thing is that you'll be done in a day by just burning through class quests and avoiding everything else.

Probably a few days - and then there's all the end-game instanced content to enjoy cooperatively.

I think we'll mix it up and do some of the heroic missions and what not. It's not a major concern that we'll outlevel stuff here and there. We're very casual as opposed to what I used to be in WoW.

I don't need a long grind to enjoy this game, and if my brother and I can coop for a few hours per day, we'll have weeks if not months - which is more than enough.

I don't think of TOR as a long-term game. It's all about the story and limited content.

I think of it as an inferior KotOR with multiplayer - and I wouldn't want to play a 200+ hour KotOR with repetitive content. That's not my thing :)

As for expansion content.. yes, it's quite similar. It's nothing like the pre-level 50 content where the difference is pretty big depending on class and faction.

No, I guess they don't have the incentive to go out of their way here. It seems to be doing well enough, and people are buying the added content. That's the curse of the F2P model - the lack of developer incentive to go above and beyond. Well, one of the curses.

I quite enjoyed the class story missions back when I played this game. Took a Jedi Knight to max level and through the entire story including Rise of the Hutt Cartel.
Then lost interest when they went F2P and added the Cartel Market (WTF were they thinking putting the market shortcut right in the middle of the HUD?). The game just didn't feel the same after that major change. It felt (even more) like playing a monetization scheme so I called it quits around that time.

Also didn't like the PvE end game at all. Running dailies became old real fast and as a JK you often had pretty long waiting times for flashpoints (and forget about OPs w/o a guild).
I also thought it was stupid how every FP was a rushing game, trying to avoid aggro and just rush through it as fast as humanly possible. Lame.
Especially if you were kind of new to FPs and did not know the non-aggro routes. Instead of people being helpful, in spite of me asking politely for assistance, if they realized I was not familiar with the FP, they just kicked me from the group without even saying a word.
Lots of completely antisocial people in that game unfortunately.
Besides, I believe BioWare should have fixed that issue by making it so you get an extra drop chance or any kind of nice reward if your group kills at least 95%+ of the mobs inside a flashpoint. That alone would have made it all a lot less retarded than it was.

So in the end I cancelled my sub when I was stuck somewhere in the grind where you do hard mode FPs for gear (don't remember what that gear level was called).
Horrible end game, at least the PvE side. Don't know or care about PvP.
The quests and class missions can be quite a lot of fun, although I found it hard to restrain yourself from cancelling the dialogs and cut scenes all the time.
They are well made, the presentation is great but when you're on your "race" to max level and you know that whatever story there is, will be pointless as soon as you leave the area and level up, it's hard to really appreciate it as much as you should.

If I get a Star Wars itch in the next few months, I might actually resub for a month or so to check out these new missions and get the five more levels. Haven't heard the sound of a lightsaber in a game for a long time so that itch will probably come sooner or later :) .

Back
Top Bottom