Diablo 2 question

You can play D2 perfectly without ever having touched D1.
There are a few points to the past, like being in the city of tristram again and the body of wirt and the boss there but the lore will be told for all you need to know

oh ok thanks for the relatively fast reply titus :D I will start the game as soon as I can :D

:lol:

Don't forget to laugh derisively at your opponents ("You dare to think you can touch me!?" followed by a curse upon them) and alternatively berate and coddle your minions. ("Idiot! Why did I bother to raise you from the dead!" followed soon by "Yes, my faithful servants. Smother and crush them as I command...")

:)

And they say there's no role-playing in this genre...;)

I had similar roleplaying in Leisure Suit Larry though, hehe.

Apparently, I had a hissy fit last time I played. My amazon suffered 2 quick deaths in the swamp. I fired up the game last night, and lo and behold I had deleted the character. I don't remember doing that, although I do remember being cranky.

Thought about changing games, but stuck with D2. Started a barbarian. Tinkered with the limited selection of weapons in the opening town. I like polearms, but they're just too darn slow. For the moment, I'm using a spear.

Temper, temper...but those little fetishes can indeed get to you.

I shyed away from playing a barb for a long time as he has such a dorky looking avatar. However, he's actually one of the most versatile, interesting and unstoppable characters in the game. He can be a tank, a melee master, use his mana side with Warcries or Whirlwind, buff himself with all the Battle Commands line, be a great magic finder with Find Item, he has a Leap skill that lets you traverse the stupid windy swamp rivers by jumping from side to side, etc. He remains the only character I've beaten Hell with( it was a variation of the so-called singing build referenced here actually, and not a concentrate barb -he's still in the middle of Hell.) I used a sword but you can go any route weaponwise depending on where you want to stuff your points.

If you get ATMA dte, I can spot you some barb gear that will engodly you up. :)

Last edited:
Interesting new word ... "to engodly someone up". ;)

May your mouse finger wither, dte--while you have no doubt moved on to better and brighter things, I am sunk even deeper into my sordid clickfest addiction. I've now become fascinated with my Necromancer and taken him into Nightmare. It's a good thing I only have a few hours a day to play due to my other addiction, internet politics, or my husband would be eating those frozen pizzas for dinner while trying to drag my shrivelled corpse away from the computer.

If it makes you feel better, my barbarian has been repeatedly stomped by the uberboss critter at the end of act 2. There's about half a dozen corpses in that little room and I can't seem to live long enough to touch one and portal back out, even when I set the portal first. Getting a bit frustrated, I is, because my electric amazon strutted right thru that fight.

If it makes you feel better, my barbarian has been repeatedly stomped by the uberboss critter at the end of act 2. There's about half a dozen corpses in that little room and I can't seem to live long enough to touch one and portal back out, even when I set the portal first. Getting a bit frustrated, I is, because my electric amazon strutted right thru that fight.

Ah--glad to hear you're still suffering along with me. That multi-corpse thing is called body-popping and makes you lose items after awhile cause you just can't re-equip/store them all when the Cube explodes its contents and the potions fall out of your belt multiple times. Sux bigtime.

It's hard to melee old Duriel--cold resistance helps. Here's a mod's post over at the old d2.net strat forum with some non-cheating pointers--(I never knew about drinking 4 yellow potions first.) Good luck.

Last edited:
Poison resistances are an must for her, I guess.

Ah--glad to hear you're still suffering along with me. That multi-corpse thing is called body-popping and makes you lose items after awhile cause you just can't re-equip/store them all when the Cube explodes its contents and the potions fall out of your belt multiple times. Sux bigtime.

It's hard to melee old Duriel--cold resistance helps. Here's a mod's post over at the old d2.net strat forum with some non-cheating pointers--(I never knew about drinking 4 yellow potions first.) Good luck.
I'm re-hiring my henchie each time, but going in largely naked with hopes of hitting a corpse while the henchie dies and gating back out before getting killed. Successful plan 2 different times, too, other than Duriel standing on top of my @^%@^@ portal when it came time to leave... I almost opened 1701AD the other night. I'm going to give it another swing tonight and hope for a better result.

edit- strange...I fired up the game for one last charge into the breach, and lo and behold there's a corpse next to me right there on the city street. Even better, it's the corpse with all the good equipment! Apparently, the Gaming Gods don't want me to quit D2 just yet.

Last edited:
edit- strange...I fired up the game for one last charge into the breach, and lo and behold there's a corpse next to me right there on the city street. Even better, it's the corpse with all the good equipment! Apparently, the Gaming Gods don't want me to quit D2 just yet.

OOPs. Forgot to tell you about that close out the game/get your body back thing. Yes, I've done it on purpose more than once. The only punishment is having to redo the map and the dungeon.

There's nothing more tedious than having some lame know-it-all go on and on with detailed advice but that hasn't stopped me so far, so I'll also mention one last thing--try to put twenty skill points in SOMETHING before you fight the end boss. Life will be much easier. 'K bye.

OOPs. Forgot to tell you about that close out the game/get your body back thing. Yes, I've done it on purpose more than once. The only punishment is having to redo the map and the dungeon.

don forget it only works if you do it right after the first time you die, otherwise you'll just get a naked corpse.

I must have gotten lucky enough to tag up with the good corpse in that room before my final dirt nap, then.

Back
Top Bottom