Scars of War - Alternative to DRM

MMOs get around this problem by using grinding mechanics, massive time sinks with an addictive nature to keep people playing for long periods of time.

And no, user content will not replace this. Even with systems like NWN or TES, you get a handful of quality and a whole lot of cruft. And nowhere near the critical mass needed to keep large numbers of people satisfied and actually paying fees.

In spite of that I think MMOs have a vast reservoir of worthwhile content that they can draw upon to make an enjoyable single player game. They'd have to tidy it up a lot and chuck out the grinding elements but they could condense it down well to make a big game that would last for a while. Of all the gaps in the market that seems the most glaring, if you've built everything already and racked up the major costs why not take a comparatively small development cost for tidying up & packaging and mop up money from the pool of people who prefer single player to MMO.

As for NWN, I think the user generated content has a much higher quality threshold and a much lower quantity because of the way in which it's currently packaged. At the moment it revolves around standalone modules, big individual chunks that need to hang together, that need to be good enough to remain interesting throughout a longish play time, that need people willing to invest enough of their time to build a full, several hour story.

If the hub of the game world is well designed there'd be scope for an entirely different kind of user generated content to show up. People could script just a single quest, a random encounter on the overland map, a couple of homes or shops or tavern characters or just a single relatively uncomplicated quest, whatever took their fancy if there was a good way of slotting it into a gameworld and knowing that people would end up coming across it. It would take much less game design skill and time, they'd be short lived enough that if they're a bit rubbish it wouldn't be a major drag on the end user. It would mean that people could get involved on a minor level and just play around rather than needing to raise themselves to a game designer type level to contribute anything that'll actually get played.

Aren't you just describing a persistant world though? They're full of contributions from people who just write minor quests and so on.

A lot of more advanced builder time went into creating simple universal scripts and systems so that people could create such things without any technical knowledge.

Aren't you just describing a persistant world though? They're full of contributions from people who just write minor quests and so on.

A lot of more advanced builder time went into creating simple universal scripts and systems so that people could create such things without any technical knowledge.

I've not come across a single player persistant world, or any kind of user generated content that was fully embedded in a game experience rather than serving as add-ons or stand alone content.

Have I missed anything?

I've not come across a single player persistant world, or any kind of user generated content that was fully embedded in a game experience rather than serving as add-ons or stand alone content.

Have I missed anything?

I don't think I understand your language, sorry. What do you mean by 'fully embedded in a game experience'?

I don't think I understand your language, sorry. What do you mean by 'fully embedded in a game experience'?

I think I tried to outline one vision of it earlier. Rather than the current NWN system where you load up one module and play that, and then stop and load up another module they could all be embedded into a game world. So you could have a random encounter one person wrote on the way to a dungeon someone else wrote, all within the same world rather than in distinct chunks.

I think I tried to outline one vision of it earlier. Rather than the current NWN system where you load up one module and play that, and then stop and load up another module they could all be embedded into a game world. So you could have a random encounter one person wrote on the way to a dungeon someone else wrote, all within the same world rather than in distinct chunks.

But that is the case with a persistant world. You don't load up another module, it's all one module with contributions from different people.

Got nothing to do with how many versions there are.
Of course not now, because everything’s made in a single version. But CRPG has already become a sort of exception. If you're right then explain this to me: How would you make a crack that would allow you to run Morrowind fully loaded with every mod for it ever written? You couldn’t, because that wouldn't be possible.

What you're claiming won't work has already been done, but it's been done by fans instead of developers. Each modification alters the version (hence the term "mod".) All I'm suggesting, really, is to shift that effort back over to developers.

The "world" I'm imagining is a gaming experience involving a dynamic game world, developer collaboration via the Internet (not to be confused with development-on-demand) maybe using a Game Master persona, and subscription pricing.

I'm not talking about a single-player MMO experience where a player logs on to server-side software (that's fun to think about too, but just not my idea). I'm imagining the player logging onto a server from time to time, but only for collaboration and content. Not merely additional content -- alternative content.

You're stuck thinking in terms of single version, Gareth. You're only imagining static game worlds that people can "consume in days, weeks." Throw that concept out, and the door opens to all kinds of clever ways of hosting role-playing games on individual player platforms.

The way I imagine it, once a player completed the kind of game I'm talking about, he could go through it again playing a completely different type of character and have a completely different kind of experience. Or he could switch to a different Game Master (a server using alternative algebraic logic).

Coming back around to piracy, any single version a pirate might copy would be no big deal. So what if they play it? It would be static. The difference between it and the dynamic experience available to genuine customers would be like night and day. Pirated copies would function as little more than demos.

Finally, coming around again to modders, it might even be possible to design modular game worlds (one world / different versions) where amateur modders could receive payment for their efforts. I’m imagining them getting spiffed every time their modifications get downloaded. That way folks who made the popular mods could cash in on them.

Last edited:
That's not a plan, that's a vague idea with no implementation details, aka a pipedream.
It's the kind of suggestion you might find on a Web forum then? Or is there some rule that says you're not supposed to suggest a new idea without putting together an actual plan for it?

In addition to the thread I already referenced, I've discussed this idea many times over the past couple years. Like many other things high-tech, this idea isn't easy to describe, but here are a few other threads where I've done my best:

Here , here , here , and here.

This forum only grants access to the past 500 (unless I'm missing something), but there was more.

People could script just a single quest, a random encounter on the overland map, a couple of homes or shops or tavern characters or just a single relatively uncomplicated quest, whatever took their fancy if there was a good way of slotting it into a gameworld and knowing that people would end up coming across it.

This system you allude to is a multi-million dollar project. NWN took 5 years for Bioware to develop, bear in mind. And you want something more complex.

It would mean that people could get involved on a minor level and just play around rather than needing to raise themselves to a game designer type level to contribute anything that'll actually get played.

If all you're looking for is a sandbox world I suppose you might find this satisfactory. I'm looking for strong story-based RPGs. Doing content creation that way would be the equivalent of taking a good novel and having the fan community alter and change it at will, expecting the novel to remain of a similar standard. Unlikely. Imagine taking all the NWN modules, the good and the bad, and combining them into one giant...mess.

So you could have a random encounter one person wrote on the way to a dungeon someone else wrote, all within the same world rather than in distinct chunks.

I REALLY don't think you are aware of the enormous technical complexity of such a system. TES mods already have problems with stepping on each other's toes, and that is offline. There is a reason things like Second Life tend to have instanced content.

@ Squeek :

How would you make a crack that would allow you to run Morrowind fully loaded with every mod for it ever written? You couldn’t, because that wouldn't be possible.

You don't need to make a crack for Morrowind that allows you to load every module. You just need to crack Morrowind. Then you can play any module you feel like.

How would it work with your example? Simple, I already explained this, unless your game logic sits on a server it is trivial to crack.

Step 1 : Some pirate with a legit account downloads all available modules at the time.
Step 2 : Crack game client.
Step 3 : Load modules into cracked client.
Step 4 : Play.
Step 5 : Periodically download more updates, distribute. Client is cracked so it runs them without complaint.

The only way to prevent that is if step 4 requires a permanent online connection in order to process game logic. Anything else is crackable in a fairly trivial amount of time. Your user modules are simply data Squeek, if they get downloaded in their entirety to the player's machine then they are easily cracked, shared and played offline by pirates.

Each modification alters the version

The mod version makes no difference. The security for the game resides in a specific module, a software call. Remove it and that cracked software can play mods to the pirates hearts content. You do know pirated copies of Morrowind could play mods right?

The "world" I'm imagining is a gaming experience involving a dynamic game world, developer collaboration via the Internet (not to be confused with development-on-demand) maybe using a Game Master persona, and subscription pricing.

I know what you are imagining, you aren't the first to imagine it.

I'm not talking about a single-player MMO experience where a player logs on to client-side software (that's fun to think about too, but just not my idea). I'm imagining the player logging onto a server from time to time, but only for collaboration and content. Not merely additional content -- alternative content.

Technically speaking, at the core you're describing a DRM restricted file management system. Player content uploaded to an official server, players connect to receive said files, perhaps interact with GMs to decide on what files they'd like. Problem is that the files, once downloaded to a players machine, can be easily distributed since the software doesn't need a net connection to play, simply to fetch files. If it's a once off connection it's little more than DRM like steam with it's updates, and fairly easily circumvented.

You're stuck thinking in terms of single version, Gareth. You're only imagining static game worlds that people can "consume in days, weeks." Throw that concept out, and the door opens to all kinds of clever ways of hosting role-playing games on individual player platforms.

No, I'm really not. This isn't a hard concept you're proposing Squeek, it's simply one that I don't think you fully understand the difficulties and ramifications of. And no, I'm not imagining static worlds. But I know this for fact, no matter how quickly your team of GMs can produce "alternate" content, the players will consume it at a faster rate. It's simple, content takes longer to make than to play.

The way I imagine it, once a player completed the kind of game I'm talking about, he could go through it again playing a completely different type of character and have a completely different kind of experience.

Except your calculations are off. To create "a completely different" type of experience means twice the content. But in each case the player finishes that content in a fraction of the time it takes you to create it. Which means that once players finish the content available, they have to wait for a while before new stuff comes out, then he'd finish it quickly, then he'd wait, then finish, etc etc....you reach a point where the player has "caught up" with the available content and is sitting around bored waiting for more to come. I know you are imagining that player added content would make for "unlimited adventure!!!" (this is the same thing people imagined when they heard about NWN) but it won't, any more than NWN modules have. Why? Because even Bioware's vast community can't produce enough quality content quickly enough.

Coming back around to piracy, any single version a pirate might copy would be no big deal. So what if they play it? It would be static. The difference between it and the dynamic experience available to genuine customers would be like night and day. Pirated copies would function as little more than demos.

No it wouldn't. See above. I don't think you understand how this works, technically. Not trying to insult, I just think you need to consider that you might not understand the implementation details before you accuse people of just being too closed-minded.

Finally, coming around again to modders, it might even be possible to design modular game worlds (one world / different versions) where amateur modders could receive payment for their efforts. I’m imagining them getting spiffed every time their modifications get downloaded. That way folks who made the popular mods could cash in on them.

Nothing wrong with that. But even with paid rewards, the amount of quality content that comes out doesn't match player demand. I do believe some of the published NWN premium modules come from talented community members. Just not enough of them to provide a steady flow.

If you're going to assert that you would be able to evaluate every modification without having access to any information about them or even knowing about their individual existances...if you're going to insist that every Morrowind mod is compatible with every other and could all be run together at once....

What can I say? Like some other folks, I've learned about and discussed new technical concepts at the system-, board-, chip- and sub-chip levels; game-changing approaches to worldwide, nationwide, metropolitan, campus, local, and even personal networks. We're all in the same boat, trying to understand and be understood.

If you want to refuse to be available to understand or simply aren't capable of keeping up, then ok.

Last edited:
I don't see much information about Spore, but it does sound somewhat similar in that the player's decisions directly affect the state of the game's world. And what I'm describing is pure cause & effect.

In the real world cause & effect makes sense only up to a point. That's why philosophies that believe in strict cause & effect always assert things like multiple lifetimes, multiple worlds or the world being some sort of grand illusion. It becomes problematic in single-version games that same way.

Games and game worlds use asserted realities, giving them the potential to implement pure cause & effect in a myriad of ways that could be quite clever and fun. Until recently, our own real-world realities stood in the way of that.

Those realities have changed. Today we're all connected via the Internet. And the single-most successful CRPG uses subscription pricing. Opportunity exists that didn't exist before.

You know those science-fiction stories where people get sent back in time? What's always their top concern? They're always afraid of changing things, aren't they? Because even a slight change might make a great impact on the world.

My idea would enable CRPG worlds to react like that. That unpredictability wouldn't need to prevent piracy, because it would work around it. It would use the Internet as a tool for making piracy moot.

If you're going to assert that you would be able to evaluate every modification without having access to any information about them or even knowing about their individual existances...if you're going to insist that every Morrowind mod is compatible with every other and could all be run together at once....

What can I say? Like some other folks, I've learned about and discussed new technical concepts at the system-, board-, chip- and sub-chip levels; game-changing approaches to worldwide, nationwide, metropolitan, campus, local, and even personal networks. We're all in the same boat, trying to understand and be understood.

If you want to refuse to be available to understand or simply aren't capable of keeping up, then ok.

The post says it was edited for clarity. It didn't work. This makes no sense at all, but does leave the impression of being offensive. Gareth/NN made good points above - ball is in your court, I think.

NN - I am more interested on the SP-MMORPG angle: I can see the reservations regarding user created or constantly updated content, but none of that really speaks against server side technology per se. You argue that users use up content too fast, but that is only a problem if you are looking at a subscription model. MMO work on a subscription basis - but I see no reason why SP server side RPG's should work that way, they could be single price, playtime based, or single price plus modular content based. I am honestly confused why we haven't seen such a model yet - do you have an opinion on that? There seem to be a lot of pros:
- server-side content and calculation allow effective pirating control
- sever technology exixsts (MMORPG)
- attractive options to have additional modular content, easily sold and advertised "in game"
- option for advertising (ingame / during startup / etc.) (not that I like the idea!)
- easy to monitor player behavior, log bugs, improve content.
- easier to patch/ update (?)
- Possibility to have dynamic worlds or dynamic elements for additional attractiveness

The post says it was edited for clarity. It didn't work. This makes no sense at all, but does leave the impression of being offensive. Gareth/NN made good points above - ball is in your court, I think.
OK, I'll make myself more clear. My point about Morrowind mods is that they can't all be loaded at the same time since some aren't compatible with each other. On the one hand you're simply adding more content, and that works fine. On the other you're making changes that aren't compatible.

It's an example of alternative versions. But while Morrowind's mods are clearly titled and come with instructions, these would be installed by the game without the player's full awareness.

If it helps, instead of version, think games, projects, easter eggs...but mods are the perfect analogy. My posts, the ones I linked, repeat that concept and should make it clearer.

NN - I am more interested on the SP-MMORPG angle: I can see the reservations regarding user created or constantly updated content, but none of that really speaks against server side technology per se. You argue that users use up content too fast, but that is only a problem if you are looking at a subscription model. MMO work on a subscription basis - but I see no reason why SP server side RPG's should work that way, they could be single price, playtime based, or single price plus modular content based. I am honestly confused why we haven't seen such a model yet - do you have an opinion on that? There seem to be a lot of pros:
- server-side content and calculation allow effective pirating control
- sever technology exixsts (MMORPG)
- attractive options to have additional modular content, easily sold and advertised "in game"
- option for advertising (ingame / during startup / etc.) (not that I like the idea!)
- easy to monitor player behavior, log bugs, improve content.
- easier to patch/ update (?)
- Possibility to have dynamic worlds or dynamic elements for additional attractiveness

Minions of Mirth did this very well. Check it out.

I gave your comments more thought, GhanBuriGhan, and decided to respond to some of the points I ignored earler:

You will only be able to charge for access as long as there is interesting content to experience.
Agreed.

The problem is people consume content at speeds that are orders of magnitude faster than developers can produce it.
Some content, yes. Not content that’s hidden or difficult to reach. In a single-version game, one time through is often all there is to it. In a game like the one I’m describing, you would never experience anything even close to everything the game had to offer any single time through. But you could choose a different character and try again. Starting over would make sense.

Except your calculations are off. To create "a completely different" type of experience means twice the content..
Actually, I'm imagining much more than twice the content. And that's just for starters. Game development would be on-going, since that's what game developers do between the hours of 9:00 and 5:00, and would continue until the entire project ends.

Technically speaking, at the core you're describing a DRM restricted file management system. Player content uploaded to an official server, players connect to receive said files, perhaps interact with GMs to decide on what files they'd like.
No, I'm describing game updates, created by the developer. They would install like patches. The player wouldn't specifically decide which files they'd like any more than they decide which specific files to install during installation. As I've suggested many times here, that should happen periodically throughout the game, making it and its world work dynamically.

People mod Elder scrolls games, yes, but mostly it just twists the mechanics a bit, adds a quest here and there. 90% of the content is what the pro devs developed over years.
These would have better modding tools and submit their work to the developer. Their work would add to the overall effort.

Nothing wrong with that (player-made mods). But even with paid rewards, the amount of quality content that comes out doesn't match player demand. I do believe some of the published NWN premium modules come from talented community members. Just not enough of them to provide a steady flow.
As I say, the original and on-going work would be done by the game’s developers. Modders could contribute and even make a little money. Servers would simply need to flag their content, measure it, and then keep track whenever it's downloaded.

The only way to prevent that is if step 4 requires a permanent online connection in order to process game logic. Anything else is crackable in a fairly trivial amount of time.
Server access of every kind can be blocked, not just ones hosting client-side game software. These would review information gathered by the game, discuss the player's decisions via a persona, and maybe ask him to answer a few questions, etc. Then the sum of those decisions (choices) would be matched with the appropriate software modules (consequence). That would be downloaded and installed like a game patch.

Essentially, I’m suggesting that a dynamic game with a dynamic game world would circumvent piracy by making any single version moot. Furthermore, I’m pointing out that content delivered and installed this way would be simply too much work for anyone to ever figure out and copy. It’s a way of making better CRPGs and a way of using the Internet to make piracy moot.

But that is the case with a persistant world. You don't load up another module, it's all one module with contributions from different people.

What single player persistant worlds are there then? I've not come across any AFAIK.

This system you allude to is a multi-million dollar project. NWN took 5 years for Bioware to develop, bear in mind. And you want something more complex.

Dude, I wasn't remotely expecting anything like that to come out of an indie arrangement. I was thinking in terms of Obsidian going that way with NWN3 or WOW making a single player spinoff, both of which would require work but not exactly starting from scratch. I think NWN2 took a big step that way with the overland map thing, it'd be easy to add a load of overland encounters to that. And they could easily have a series of districts in the various cities etc

I love what you're planning on doing with Scars of War and what I'd like to see from other providers is something entirely separate, i think the indie studios are well suited for strong story driven stuff but I think that the larger studios are missing possible tricks for new game concepts that they're not hugely far from.

If all you're looking for is a sandbox world I suppose you might find this satisfactory. I'm looking for strong story-based RPGs. Doing content creation that way would be the equivalent of taking a good novel and having the fan community alter and change it at will, expecting the novel to remain of a similar standard. Unlikely. Imagine taking all the NWN modules, the good and the bad, and combining them into one giant...mess.

I would imagine that the end result would be generally sandboxy but with the volume of content coming from individually crafted community contributions rather than randomised generation. In general I really quite like the idea of sandboxy games, put together some adventurers, head out, see a few different things. In practice they always end up being a massive disappointment, a few good hours of playtime before I start to recognise recurring faces, conversations, the random generation mechanics that make the endless stream of meaningless dungeons, pretty soon it all becomes a grind and I no longer expect anything different to happen and it gets dull.

And the community contributions would likely have a lot of stuff that was pretty weak or cliched or uninspiring but then there'd be something completely unexpected. Some of it would actually be good, or quirky, or unexpected. Even for the same average quality level I'd rather have an unpredictable mix of really good stuff and really bad stuff than a homogenised level of generally bland but polished and balanced randomly generated stuff. And for any of the longer modules or quests or locations or anything added in one could easily include a quality rating system where users rank the content and you can decide before downloading it and playing it.

I REALLY don't think you are aware of the enormous technical complexity of such a system. TES mods already have problems with stepping on each other's toes, and that is offline. There is a reason things like Second Life tend to have instanced content.

Don't the mods tend to all modify the whole world at the same time? SO plenty of scope for conflicts.

I'm sure there's technical implementation issues, but having played Storm of Zehir I get the impression that there's a definite structure there that the programmers have used themselves to slot all their content together. An overland map system with individual points on the map that lead to other towns, villages, dungeons etc. A random encounter system that mostly just generated random monsters at particular levels but also had about a dozen special encounters that cropped up randomly on the map at particular level.

Anything that allowed complete mods of everything would be a nightmare I agree. I was thinking of something that had a consistently structured basic gameworld, underlying rules, sets of overland map arrangements etc that users couldn't make global modifications and risk throwing everything out. But they can submit stuff to be added to the overland map and when you get there it takes you to a location they've built, just as with the main game. They can submit random encounters with a set of criteria for who should get it and where and it can be added to the pool of scenarios in the random encounter generator. They can submit people & scripts to be added to locations for generating quests etc.

I don't know, I'm no industry expert. I just really got the impression that the development team for that had a particular structure that they worked in and each could work independently making their little chunks of content to hang on the overall structure. Once they'd generated the art assets & engine & overland map system etc that would seem like the most logical way to work.

But I know this for fact, no matter how quickly your team of GMs can produce "alternate" content, the players will consume it at a faster rate. It's simple, content takes longer to make than to play.

Now that I fully agree with. I'd not really thought of it as something that you can play and play and play and it'll never end because there'll be so much new content, I was thinking of it as something that one went back to for a while every now and then, whether for variety or to fill a gap between games or to try out a different character build etc.

My dream CRPG would be set in a world full of intrigue and uncertainty where unexpected mystery would creep in every dark place, lore would linger in forgotten ruins, and legacy would embody distinct artifacts that could only be found by reckless opportunists willing to try to cheat death.

The challenge would be to properly perceive and evaluate the endless possibilities of a complex world, one where I had an unclear but certain destiny. Adventure would lie waiting but not be easily found. And the quest to find it would be chock-full of peril.

Each step of my progress through it would face resistance but would be accompanied by a satisfying sense of significance, a feeling that the part I was playing in the vast muddled drama unfolding around me was worthwhile.

Role-playing games shouldn't be like a walk in the park, a day at Disneyland or an afternoon at the movies. Every detail of a fantastic adventure should be hard to find and precious. Otherwise the whole thing becomes cheap.

The RPG I love best has bits of misunderstood and partly unfound content. That's why I love it like I do. The RPG I would make would have a constant flow of that kind of hard-to-find good stuff packed inside, waiting to be discovered.

Back
Top Bottom