Mass Effect - New Game in Development?

ME3 had a true ending in form of a DLC many people didn't see, sadly.
Yeah to bad it was DLC as many probably quit playing after the original ending. It was a good way to end the series on a high note before playing that terrible ending.

I agree with Joxers assessment, particularly liked the "ME4 FYSU" scene he demonstrated. Wish I had chosen that during my playthrough.

One thing I would like to point out is the changing of the market for the computer games industry. When DA:O & ME1 came out, there wasn't that much competition for that type of product. My experience of DA:O (around 2010 I think) was that it was derived from the janky experience of Baldurs Gate and was aesthetically and technically sophisticated, with very little else approaching it. ME1 in my experience was rather janky but again, there wasn't anything in the market to approach its scope. By 2017 that certainly wasn't the case. I would argue Bioware games have become more technically accomplished but the general industry has incorporated lessons from their product range and Bioware, as part of EA, is attempting to produce products comparable to other niches in the industry, with lesser (Anthem) or greater success (DA:I), depending on what aspect you are evaluating. I quite liked DA:2, I simply wish it was less, well, linear.

When DA:O & ME1 came out, there wasn't that much competition for that type of product. My experience of DA:O (around 2010 I think) was that it was derived from the janky experience of Baldurs Gate and was aesthetically and technically sophisticated, with very little else approaching it.

I thought DA:O was a downgrade from Baldur's Gate in nearly every possible way.

I thought DA:O was a downgrade from Baldur's Gate in nearly every possible way.

Perhaps it was. You are entitled to your opinion and you may be right. I would be interested in the parameters used to derive that observation. It might be subjective and based on experience, engagement and other aspects of perception. I have heard other people say comparable things to your opinion, so certainly don't want to denigrate your opinions validity.

My take, fwiw:

DA:O - Very solid game but highly derivative and very disappointing as a result for Bioware's much ballyhooed (by them) first world of their own
DA:2 - Lazy game that isn't as bad as its reputation, but still isn't very good.
DA:I - Enough good content in here to make it the best of the series, but bloated with tons of filler…. might still be my favorite

ME1 - This is the overrated one. Short, terrible combat, recycled assets, tedious despite its short length, no meaningful choices (granted, that wasn't evident until later, but they were still meaningless), terrible inventory system
ME2 - best of the series; better companions than 1, more fleshed out/longer, better combat than 2
ME3 - best gameplay, decent all around other than the admittedly beyond weak original ending. I never played their revised ending.
ME:A - Suffers from the DA:I bloat, but again, a solid game with enough good stuff to produce a series highlight if it was stripped down. The backlash was way out of proportion to its quality.

This looks fun.

DA:O - High hopes quickly dashed. The presentation was nice, but the dinner conversation was painful. A shift away from real mechanics to percentage-based MMO crap. Overall, a middling cRPG at best.
DA:2 - Couldn't bring myself to push The Awesome Button after watching videos of rogues doing flips over people's heads and some kind of critters crawling out of the ground in waves, giving my flashbacks to The Blight I so happily left behind in Origins. I was ready to buff myself an additional 2% to some ambiguous and ineffectual stat to kill myself if I saw any more of the damn Blight in Origins.
DA:I - Didn't bother. Looked like it went further in MMO-crap direction. Shit, I sound like Joxer. :p Mushrooms. :)

ME1 - Also think it's overrated. In fact, I didn't get very far at all. I also thought the combat sucked and got tired very fast of running down corridor after corridor to have the same fight followed by the same fight. I was excited for a sci-fi setting, but it was all so bland I hardly remember anything today, except for my frustration with the controls for that friggin' moon buggy and its repetitive and pointless minigame that didn't even bother to give you anything pretty to look at.
ME2 - Only dabbled with this one long enough to see they doubled down on many of the things I didn't like about the first game.
ME3 - Hardly bothered to even read anything about this one.
ME:A - Looked like Call of Duty: Sci Fi Edition. Mushrooms.

My take on DA and ME series:

DA:O - Mediocre game which felt much better than it really is at the time of release due to a long period of RPG drought.
DA2 - A massive disappointment, thanks Bioware, for ruining my two favourite companions from previous installment.
DA:I - I don't know why I bothered with this. I liked it better than DA2 but that's not an achievement by any means.

ME1 - I found it difficult to get into this first time around since I finished ME2 first. But once I did get past the clunky gameplay, found the story was quite amazing.
ME2 - For me, this is the best in series. Still one of my favourite games but I just can't seem to replay this. Still brings back some fond memories though.
ME3 - Massive disappointment for me. Not just the ending but something about it rubbed me wrong way, worst of the series for me.
ME:A - I didn't bother playing this.

The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.

7 years ago a new Mass Effect game announcement would have made me very excited. Now, I’m just numb to it. I feel nothing.

Back
Top Bottom