D:OS2 D:OS 2 - need advise!

Divinity: Original Sin 2
P

purpleblob

So, now that I'm almost done with my 3rd playthrough with Kingmaker, I'm thinking of picking up something new. I thought D:OS2 might be a good bet but thought I will ask some questions.

I'm thinking of making a complete new character - is that possible or is it more of being able to customise a few things from one of the 6 pre-made characters?

How important is "getting the right build" in D:OS2? I read that the combat can be quite tough but I really dislike min/maxing. Would I be in serious trouble if I build my character "incorrectly" even in default setting (should I lower difficulty)?

How long is this game? I heard some finished it around 65-70 hour mark, while others say it's well over 100 hours. I'm guessing the answer will be "depending on your play style" - I tend to try finish most of quests in my first playthrough, excluding really tough or frustrating ones.

If I can only modify existing character, I will be using custom Sebille or Lohse as a base. I think I will be travelling with Ifan and Fane for sure. I can't make decision on the last one… any suggestion?

I know DArt's been saying it's really fun as a co-op. Anyone else played this as co-op? I'm thinking of maybe doing both the single and co-op run with hubby but just want to hear general impression on co-op.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
First off congratulations for buying Original Sin 2 as I thought you weren't going to. I'll try to answer a few of you questions, but I'm not known for long replies. So bear with me.

1. The main NPC's that come with the game each have their own original story-line to play. Each one affects the game differently. Still you can create a custom character.

2. Getting the right build is absolutely necessary as you need to balance the skills of everyone of your NPC's. Otherwise you will fail quests or die in certain battles.

3. Length depends on whether you do every quest & side quests or just do what is recommend. As later in the game you have optional quests only need to complete half.

So I'd say 30-60 hrs at least depending on how you play. Still the game is good for a few replays with a different main NPC's. So you can say 100+ or more also.

4.You can only change the class of the main NPC's but not their appearance or back story. You're free to do whatever you want to your custom NPC though.

Hope that helped a little.^^

Thanks for that Couch!

First off congratulations for buying Original Sin 2 as I thought you weren't going to. I'll try to answer a few of you questions, but I'm not known for long replies. So bear with me.

Yes, I didn't really enjoy D:OS1 so I wasn't going to play the sequel but after doing a bit of reading I concluded D:OS2 is worth giving it a shot.

4.You can only change the class of the main NPC's but not their appearance or back story. You're free to do whatever you want to your custom NPC though.

Hmm... in that case I'm more tempted to make a custom main and keep either Lohse or Sebille as a party member. Do I lose story/lore much by creating complete new character rather than using one of the 6 as my main?

I'm not sure if I will be able to create right build.. so I guess I should start in lower difficulty? Is classic (default) mode easy enough or should I go explorer mode?

I'm not sure if I will be able to create right build.. so I guess I should start in lower difficulty? Is classic (default) mode easy enough or should I go explorer mode?
If you want an easy game go with story mode.:embarrassed:
The player gets +100% Vitality, +100% Damage, +50% Armor, +50 Magic Armor, 5% boost to Chances to Hit, 5% boost to Dodge.
NPCs get -40% Vitality, -50% Damage, -50% Armor, -50% Magic Armor, 15% penalty to Chances to Hit.
Normal A.I.
For a normal game play with explorer mode.:thumbsup:
The player gets +80% HP & +30% boost to Chances to Hit.
NPCs get -50% HP & -25% penalty to Chances to Hit.
Regular creatures don't have any crowd control spells (Charm, Mute, Freeze, Petrify etc.): only bosses have them.
Can switch up to Classic Mode
For advanced players use classic.:mean:
The player gets +15% HP.
Creatures have all of their regular spells.
Can switch down to Explorer Mode.
Don't bother with the higher levels as you will die a lot.

Link - https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Difficulty+Modes

Last edited:
A few comments. First the game can be close to 90 hours. Second you can change the difficulty at any time as long as you stay below tactical so I would start where you find it interesting and when it gets too easy raise it but if you go to tactical you won't be able to lower it. I played all the games on tactical (3 times) but i think it is too hard for someone who has not played much. Also the last area of the game is far harder than earlier parts so if you struggle on tactical early then it only gets worse later.
-
Second for the first play I would use only pregenerated characters as they all have pretty interesting stories. The group I recommend is:
Sebille (you) if you want to play as a woman else Beast
Beast (warrior)
Lohse (caster)
Ifan (archer)
-
A lot of people like fane but i would avoid him the first play and red prince has an interesting story and interactions through-out the game but can also be annoying.
-
You can respect all party members (for free) after you leave fort joy (1st area) so if you 'build' things wrong it isn't a problem.
-
For early game fane does allow free picking (bony fingers) and red prince has flame breath.
-
luck is a critical skill - one character should have it very high and Persuasion needs to be very high on the character that does the 'speaking'.
-
also if you take ifan in your party and you chat with the right guard in the very first area you will get a nice surprise when you escape the very first area.

Last edited:
I used her both ways and found her story plays better when not main, I'm not a fan of Sebille but couch like her; also sebille has a couple of interesting interactions if she is your main.

Any reason for recommending Sebille as my main over Lohse??

Last edited:
I know DArt's been saying it's really fun as a co-op. Anyone else played this as co-op? I'm thinking of maybe doing both the single and co-op run with hubby but just want to hear general impression on co-op.

It's like sex, really.

Is that more fun alone or with a lover?

If you have the opportunity to play this gem with your husband - you'd be a fool not to try.

Just don't create identical characters and argue over who gets the loot ;)

It's like sex, really.

Is that more fun alone or with a lover?

If you have the opportunity to play this gem with your husband - you'd be a fool not to try.

Just don't create identical characters and argue over who gets the loot ;)

Well, gaming =/= sex :p

Hubby hasn't picked up D:OS2 yet - he wants to wait till I experience the game a bit more to make sure I continue playing :p I have very specific taste so yeah.

You mean you're spoiled rotten? I can believe it :)

Anyway, I hope you get the opportunity to play the game cooperatively. It's definitely among the best coop games of all time.

You mean you're spoiled rotten? I can believe it :)

Anyway, I hope you get the opportunity to play the game cooperatively. It's definitely among the best coop games of all time.

Spoiled rotten by hubby and Kingmaker, yes ;)

Well, I almost hit my 2 hour limit on Steam refund and I think I will continue playing - so hubby will eventually pick it up too and try co-op :)

I will probably end up playing it in both SP and co-op mode :p So you guys can both be happy

I will probably end up playing it in both SP and co-op mode :p So you guys can both be happy

Happy is a strong word :)

Can't we settle on me being pleased that you wised up and get to enjoy yourself with a great experience? ;)

Any reason for recommending Sebille as my main over Lohse??

If you play as Sebille, you can control her. ;)

I restarted a few hours into the game because of something party NPC Sebille did that pissed me off.

I wanted to replay the game as Lohse eventually though. I like Lohse.

If you play as Sebille, you can control her. ;)

I restarted a few hours into the game because of something party NPC Sebille did that pissed me off.

I wanted to replay the game as Lohse eventually though. I like Lohse.

Whatever it is that Sebille did that pissed you off, is that programmed to happen each time? So far, I'm liking Lohse more than Sebille..

I really wouldn't equate d:eek:s-2 coop with sex; one is best experienced with a partner; the other alone.

whatamireading.png

Back
Top Bottom