|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

November 10th, 2018, 20:09
My wife is recovering from surgery this week, so we have watched some stuff (mostly caught up on TV series). But …

'Destination Wedding' - Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder. Trailer didn't look great, but what the heck - price is right . And … it was astoundingly NOT good. Yet not bad enough to switch off. There were too many cliches for a movie that seemed set up to take shots at the cliches. And for a movie with basically only two speaking characters … things were really shallow.

Also watched 'The Post' - much more my kind of movie than hers (too much 'inside baseball') but because of the performances and players she loved it as well. It was also a bit sad to see what our view of corruption and a petulant president USED to look like … crap, now we get worse on Twitter pretty much daily.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 10th, 2018, 22:27
The Predator is one of cinema's great monsters but I lost most interest in the series after even the first one but enjoyed occasional memorable moments like the predator about to kill Lance Henriksen (?) in one of the films then scans him and sees he's terminally ill so tosses him aside and spares him because he's not worthy prey. But this new one looks like shit. Even the last Predator film I felt was pretty crappy and that was considered one of the better ones.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 10th, 2018, 23:12
I actually saw a Predator movie the other night that I'd never heard of before, and it was fairly decent. I didn't think it was as good as the first two, but it wasn't awful. I was stunned when Fishburne showed up halfway through.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 01:37
The Predator series has a marvelous premise - alien sportsmen & warriors that only hunt the most aggressive, dangerous and capable of human prey - but the execution is just not well done after the classic first film. I'd actually be interested in seeing a predator film that takes place entirely within their society without these boring macho human male action-figures we see being chased around like that annoying hero-asshole I saw in the The Predator trailer. For example, we never saw a female predator. I bet they all look like Bo Derek or Mariah Carey in their prime but with huge musculature, long legs, voluptuous T & A and sexy-as-fuck arthropod mandibles that they use extensively in their mating rituals

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

November 11th, 2018, 01:43
I could easily see the female predators being far more dangerous than their male counterparts. Maybe that's why we've never seen them, as the male predators stay far away from the women-folk!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 11th, 2018, 01:43
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I actually saw a Predator movie the other night that I'd never heard of before, and it was fairly decent. I didn't think it was as good as the first two, but it wasn't awful. I was stunned when Fishburne showed up halfway through.
That would be the 2010 Predators it was one of the better sequels.

Link - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424381/
A group of elite warriors parachute into an unfamiliar jungle and are hunted by members of a merciless alien race.
They went back to the jungle setting but on a alien planet.

As for seeing what a female Yautja/Predator looks like you have to read the comics.

Link - https://www.avpcentral.com/female-yautja
The female Yautja are fearsome warriors just like their male brethren. Little is known about them and there are only a few notable specimens. When they have a mate, they prefer to hunt together, sometimes even die together. They are often more calculative than males, who tend to be more reckless. The female Yautja are usually bigger than males and some have feminine qualities, like breasts. The female Yautja have never been featured in the movies or games, they are only in the books and graphics novels. Here is a list of all notable female Yautja.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 13:47
I liked the 2nd one

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 15:09
We watched ‘Mama Mia Here We Go Again’ last night … wow, it was surprisingly awful. I mean:
- We were in the mood for something light and fun, mindless romp.
- We both thoroughly enjoyed the first one.

And yet, before the fan-service final 15 minutes, I was debating if I liked ‘Destination Wedding’ better! And my wife, who watched a ‘made for TV’ Netflix RomCom movie called ‘Set It Up’ declared definitely the best of the three.

The problems were many - from the start things are lifeless and bland. The new actress (playing a young Meryl Streep) tries to infuse energy, but her role isn’t particularly deep. The story is paper thin as well - two stories, one of a hotel opening night, the other of Meryl Streep’s trip to the island and how she came to not know which man was the father of her child. Streep and Cher show up at the end and it is clear their stuff was filmed in a day (especially Streep, where there were mistakes still evident on screen). I have no idea how this ended up with positive reviews on RT.

Worst part? We actually paid to rent it on Amazon.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 11th, 2018, 19:18
Who the fuck rents from Amazon Video? Amazon Prime and unlimited access to their film library is the way to go. Where else can you see Dan Curtis' Dracula with Jack Palance in 1080p (in what many consider to be the finest dramatization of the character) or Kwai Chang Caine kicking ass in Kung Fu, also in 1980p, complete with frightening skin wigs. Just watched the two-parter The Cenopath for example which is the most unique installment in the entire series. It's also the single worst thing that has ever been done in the history of the medium with actors named Stefan playing dual-roles as both a crazy Irish mountain man that keeps a 5000 lbs rock in the shape of a woman in a big wooden box and a Chinese warlord in what is the most embarrassingly bad white-guy-goes-chimaman makeup ever conceived. All in wonderful, glorious blu-ray quality. Oh, and Cain gets laid by the lovely Nancy Kwan in this one and is so exhausted by their sexual encounter that his just sits collapsed against a pillar, sweat pouring down the back of his skin wig, mouth agape, as he barely manages to squeak out the words, "I… love… you" with a 9.5 on the afterglow scale. I love my Amazon Prime.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

November 11th, 2018, 19:26
Great Scott! Destination Wedding followed by Mamma Mia Here We Go Again? I think you need to re-open negotiations over control of the remote.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 19:33
I shall not judge any man that watches mostly chick flicks with his significant other. Some of my best friends are guys who do this. My pal Brian and his life partner Karl for example. They particularly love Julia Roberts romantic comedies and dramas. Right now they're watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and they're in love. What harm could possibly come of this?

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

November 11th, 2018, 19:41
Not sure if it's harm but it can lead to alienating former friends.
Assuming Sabrina is not their friends' #1 pick too. Or a guilty pleasure they refuse to admit.

Don't look at me. I don't care about that show. Because in circles I'm in it's referred to with "Sabrina the Social Justice Warrior".
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 21:07
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
Who the fuck rents from Amazon Video?
When you want a new release, you rent. Since we have a Fire TV Cube hooked to our TV, Amazon is the easy go-to choice.

Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
I love my Amazon Prime.
Absolutely agree!

Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Great Scott! Destination Wedding followed by Mamma Mia Here We Go Again? I think you need to re-open negotiations over control of the remote.
haha - look, on Wednesday she had a 4.5 hour surgery, and really is just getting back to being able to sit awake for 1.5 hours at a time. Mindless light fun is about all we can do at this point.

And really, we've been together for over 30 years - she's done midnight Star Wars showings, and on and on and on … I would do anything for her. And sometimes a light romcom is the type of mindless non-demanding background that fits the bill.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 11th, 2018, 21:28
Oh dear, I hope she feels better soon. Yes, I understand. I save superhero movies for when I'm feeling fragile, and want to be half awake and asleep.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
+1:

November 12th, 2018, 10:13
American-X. Much better movie than Predator

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

November 13th, 2018, 20:45
Saw Overlord last night. Great action flick imo. It's not going to win any Academy awards, but it was definitely entertaining. It has a very Wolfenstein feel, and I suspect there might have been some inspiration from that series.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

November 13th, 2018, 20:51
Originally Posted by you View Post
American-X. Much better movie than Predator
You mean American History X? That was a great movie. Easily Edward Norton's best role.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

November 13th, 2018, 21:38
I watched Cider House Rules last night. I've heard such good things about the film for years, and I wasn't disappointed. Filled with fine acting, a wringing story, kindness and horror that will stick with you, it was quite the memorable tale.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

November 13th, 2018, 22:57
I saw Burning from Chang dong Lee a fortnight ago.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7282468/
It was described as a poetic thriller and was South Koreas submission to the Oscars and had a record in points given by journalists in a poll at the Cannes festival.
Well. Do not go. Terrible. Three hours or so. At the end most of the few people watching it in the cinema were perplexed and had to laugh because of the weird ending.

Week before that I went to the western The Sisters Brothers.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4971344/
Great movie. Authentic feel. Unexpected developments. Highly recommendable.
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'
Last edited by Eye; November 14th, 2018 at 23:29. Reason: Changed plexplexed in perplexed

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

November 13th, 2018, 23:02
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You mean American History X? That was a great movie. Easily Edward Norton's best role.
Edward Furlong too.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread