Galactic civilizations III announced

nice. civ5 is such a dud I'm looking forward to something other than playing civ4 twice a week.

any word on DRM?

MP? nice! I'll let my buddies know. I hope they can get a central server like civ used to have with gamespy.

Well the multiplayer doesn't interest me but I'm still buying it.;) As for DRM it will more than likely be Steam. Their last few releases have used it.

Hey, a game that I'm actually interested in! I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Whoot! I wish they'd have spent some more time fixing the remaining bugs in GalCiv2, but either way, this is good news!

I never played a game from start to finish and probably never will (gaming time is sparse), but still loved fiddling around with everything.

I purchased GC II: Ultimate Edition awhile back during a steam sale but never got around to playing it. This might motivate me to finally give it a go.

In case it matters to anyone, it's going to be 64 bit exclusive (Source). Kinda sounds like all Stardock games going forward will be.

“The technology allows players to experience a level of graphical detail and on-screen activity unprecedented in large-scale strategy PC games. It dramatically increases the size and scope of the maps, and opens the door for modders to add a virtually unlimited amount of new content to the game.”

Last edited:
I played heaps of GalCiv2. Hardly remember it now, but I had some great builds. Was a fun sandbox kinda game but not balanced for shit.

I was playing Galciv2 when they announced Elemental War of Magic.

"GalCiv with swords and multiplayer? IM THERE!!", But noooooo. Without multiplayer I play more Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic than the Fallen Enchantress I want to be playing. :(

Lets hope the feature actually makes in in this time, BRAD...

In case it matters to anyone, it's going to be 64 bit exclusive (Source). Kinda sounds like all Stardock games going forward will be.

As long as it doesn't end up with the hideous loading/processing times Civ V had. I had to wander off and do something else for 10 minutes while it got loaded, and the expansions made it take ages to process the AIs' turns.

“The technology allows players to experience a level of graphical detail and on-screen activity unprecedented in large-scale strategy PC games. It dramatically increases the size and scope of the maps, and opens the door for modders to add a virtually unlimited amount of new content to the game.”

Does anyone not have a 64bit machine these days? Anything with at least two cores should have it.

I'm generally a Stardock fan so I'll probably get this, however if GalCiv 2 and Fallen Enchantress are any indicator, it may be better to wait for 1 or 2 expansions before buying it.

At least it seems Brad Wardell has figured out what a terrible game designer he is - and I believe the new guy they hired is in charge of that part now :)

At least it seems Brad Wardell has figured out what a terrible game designer he is - and I believe the new guy they hired is in charge of that part now :)

You can't be serious? Elemental was a debacle, yes, but he also was responsible for the design of GCII, which has one of the highest average review ratings for any strategy game ever. And happens to be a game I poured more hours into than I can count. I'm REALLY glad they brought in Jon Schafer, because FFH is the best mod I've ever played. That doesn't make Brad a bad game designer, although I agree he's better off perfecting the AI to the level of GCII which has (IMO) one of the best AI's ever.

You can't be serious? Elemental was a debacle, yes, but he also was responsible for the design of GCII, which has one of the highest average review ratings for any strategy game ever. And happens to be a game I poured more hours into than I can count. I'm REALLY glad they brought in Jon Schafer, because FFH is the best mod I've ever played. That doesn't make Brad a bad game designer, although I agree he's better off perfecting the AI to the level of GCII which has (IMO) one of the best AI's ever.

Jon Shafer?

You mean Derek Paxton, right?

Anyway, I've always found GalCiv very cold and dreary - all the way back to the OS/2 version.

MoO and MoO2 were miles ahead - and had a ton of flavor.

GalCiv basically started as a weak MoO clone - and has remained that way in my mind. GalCiv 2 with the expansion stuff was not that bad - but still way behind in most ways. Except for the AI - which is hardly a design concept.

That said, Brad Wardell himself have publicly stated that he doesn't like game design and doesn't consider himself to be very good at it for that reason.

That's not enough for you? ;)

Anyway, obviously this is down to subjective preferences. You like his designs - so he's a good designer in your mind.

I think his designs suck - and when he openly declares himself bored with game design - I don't need more to conclude that he's a very bad game designer.

To each his own and all that.

I was a big fan of GalCiv 1 back in the day. I wouldn't really compare it to MoO though, they were very different types of games. GalCiv was more like Civilization in space.

GalCiv 2 on the other hand I found more disappointing when it first came out. It did get a lot better with expansions though, but those took awhile to arrive and cost extra. Elemental I didn't even touch when it first came out, from reading the beta tester discussions it was pretty obvious to everyone except Brad that it would be a mess.

These days I feel like I'm getting pretty burnt out on 4X strategy games, such that very few of them will entertain me for more then 1 play through. So it makes it very hard to compare things to older games, given that I was far less jaded back then.

Jon Shafer?

You mean Derek Paxton, right?

That said, Brad Wardell himself have publicly stated that he doesn't like game design and doesn't consider himself to be very good at it for that reason.

That's not enough for you? ;)

You're absolutely right, Derek Paxton was who I meant. And you're other points are also valid, my bad. I just happen to like GCII quite alot, although I agree MoO2 is still the peak to strive for. What I would like is a MoO2 with the scope and AI of GCII.

Back
Top Bottom