General News - Arkane Veterans Launch WolfEye

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamesIndustry reports that Raphael Colantonio and Julien Roby, formerly of Arkane Studios, are launching a small studio called WolfEye.

"I notice both as a developer and a gamer, I think it's been two or three generations of games now, I've been playing the same game," Colantonio says. "The only difference is that it's more beautiful, higher resolution, more shaders, but really the game is the same.

"I remember this funny moment where we were doing Dishonored, and I asked my lead programmer how many characters I could have in combat. And he answered something between five and six. I thought well, okay. It makes sense. The AI is what it is, and we had characters with 10,000 polys or whatever they were. Fast forward four or five years, we're doing Prey. It's a new engine, new technology, new hardware. I'm back with my lead programmer, same question. How many characters can we have? Maybe five or six. The only difference between one generation to the next was that the budget had doubled, and because the budget was doubled, it goes into more people, instead of taking three months to make a character it takes six months now, there's more optimization that is required, more of everything, every detail, making sure the eyes are perfect and the sun shines the right way.
[...]

For now, Colantonio and Roby are understandably tight-lipped on any information surrounding the studio's first game. What they will say is that while no one should expect a new Dishonored game from them, fans of Arkane games will probably like what they make in the same way a Quentin Tarantino fan will probably like whatever his next movie is regardless of particulars.
More information.

Glad to see Colantonio and the other former members of Arkane form a new studio to make games the way they want to free of Bethesda, and other negative office politics.

I enjoyed the Dishonored games and I especially enjoyed Prey, so hopefully WolfEye's games will also be good.

Prey was great. Very underrated game imo. It's a shame it didn't sell better.

I enjoyed Dishonored as well. Still haven't played the sequel yet.

I don't know where these two sat with regards to the design of some of Arkane games; but if they had a major role i'm interested in seeing what they developed because Arkane did some really interesting stuff.

Prey was mediocre and not underrated. I couldn't believe Arkane made a game with only one thing interesting and unique (goo gun) full of mediocrity (example: respawns) and plain insults to PC (example: mushrooms everywhere).

Chris Avellone on Twitter :

"So happy to be working with @rafcolantonio and crew again! Great things are on the horizon".

RPG incoming ?

Chris Avellone on Twitter :

"So happy to be working with @rafcolantonio and crew again! Great things are on the horizon".

RPG incoming ?
Meh Avallone is like a call girl that sells his services to anyone for money.:biggrin:

Last edited:

I enjoyed Dishonored as well. Still haven't played the sequel yet.

Seconded. Prey was indeed great. And so were the two Dishonored games and the standalone expansion to 2.

But I don't really believe they were great just because of some leading men with a vision. A good overall vision or a good overall idea is almost a dime-a-dozen. Implementation is much more important. Devil is in the details and all that.

So I'm not sure how excited I am about them forming a new studio. We'll have to see what they come up with.

Most assuredly!! I loved Arx and was EXTREMELY disappointed that no sequel was made!!!!

I enjoyed Prey but it could have used some tweaks. Bethesda pretty much killed support since it didn't sell well. Mostly respawn rate was a bit high and i think it had a few balance issue but overall it was a lot of fun and had an interesting (if over-used) story. Generally recommended but just be careful to watch your back and the ceiling.

Every part of playing through the Dishonored universe, each game and DLC were fantastic, with great gameplay, presentation, storylines and resolutions. Still haven't tried Prey yet but I plan on it.

Most of us survive by performing services in exchange for currency. That's kind of what employment is.
Tsk it's a joke man relax. Still what I said is true.:biggrin:

Hmm… wonder how many developers have paid him to use his name since he left Obsidian?(Pst I'm not an Avellone fanboy who worships the ground he walks on either.)
Bethesda pretty much killed support since it didn't sell well.
Not just Prey either it seems most of their published games in the last few's years have under-performed with sales. It's caused a shift in how they will fund future games.

Lets not forget all the negative PR due to Fallout 76 also. It's a shame and it seems their campaign boasting about supporting SP games is being proved false.
Most assuredly!! I loved Arx and was EXTREMELY disappointed that no sequel was made!!!!
Would be nice to see a modern Arx Fatalis. A few news games have tried but failed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom