REGoth - OpenSource-Reimplementation of the zEngine - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Gothic 1/2 » REGoth - OpenSource-Reimplementation of the zEngine

Default REGoth - OpenSource-Reimplementation of the zEngine

September 15th, 2016, 00:38
I'm opening this thread to report this here cause for whatever reason it wasn't posted as a newsbit, after my forward a few weeks ago, and I thought people here would generally be interested.

Basically, Degenerated, the guy behind the D3D11 Renderer for Gothic 2, is attempting to create an open-source implementation of the engine used for the first 2 Gothics. As all open-source projects of such nature, it's very ambitious and unlikely to be fully completed (anytime soon).

Still, it's already at a pretty impressive stage.
Here's a Youtube video of his current progress (I've forgotten how to embed).

Here's the WoG home of the project.
--
I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 15th, 2016, 01:57
I have also followed that thread for a while and it seems like there is some good news and some bad news related to this.

The bad news is that the DX11 renderer has been all but abandoned and, according to many people, is still fairly buggy. Degenerated hit a wall at some point since there was only so much he could do with the renderer so he decided to switch to the ReGoth approach which brings us to the good news.
It definitely seems like a promising endeavor but the question is whether there will actually be a "final" version this time or will he hit a wall again as with the DX11 renderer and abandon the project? Or will it take ages and will he be forced to abandon it because of exams or a job offer taking precedence?
Let's hope he makes progress faster than the RL train catching up with him .

Moriendor

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2016, 02:25
Oh man, you should definitely inform the non-German-speaking Gothic fans about interesting things that pop up in WoG's Editing subforum from time to time. I feel there's about 5 years of difference between the English-speaking fan's perception of the modding scene and it's actual level.

In the meantime, there seems to have been some progress regarding script execution and Mud.
--
I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

September 23rd, 2016, 06:54
You haven't heard? This site has gone from european rpg's to jrpg's.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

September 23rd, 2016, 08:05
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Oh man, you should definitely inform the non-German-speaking Gothic fans about interesting things that pop up in WoG's Editing subforum from time to time. I feel there's about 5 years of difference between the English-speaking fan's perception of the modding scene and it's actual level.

In the meantime, there seems to have been some progress regarding script execution and Mud.
To be honest, I'm only keeping a loose eye (for a future Gothic/Gothic 2 replay) on two/three projects really. One is/was Degenerated's DX11 renderer or now his new ReGoth approach, respectively, and the other one is the Gothic Reloaded Mod which has been in the making for ages but is still going luckily and there might be a demo later this year hopefully (check here for a rather recent screenshot showing a more detailed hero and new weather effects/sky texture).

By the way, you accidentally linked to an older video of the ReGoth project. The correct link to the new "Dialogs/Audio/NPC Script-states" video featuring Mud is this one here.

Moriendor

SasqWatch

+1:

October 14th, 2016, 03:33
Here's some great news especially for joxer. Gothic now runs on phones!

Moriendor

SasqWatch

October 14th, 2016, 04:27
Yes, Gothic = phone game ergo it's crap. Well that's going to put the cat among the pigeons.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

October 14th, 2016, 14:46
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Here's some great news especially for joxer. Gothic now runs on phones!
Really.

Controls:
Lower-left of the screen: Move
Lower-right of the screen: Turn
Upper half of the screen: Action

Actions are applied to the nearest entity, which can be:
- Talking to an NPC (UI is *very* tiny, but works)
- Picking up items (Will be listed on the left side of the screen)
- Using a Mob (Only first animations will be played, player will not be positioned rightly)
- If nothing is near, an item of the inventory is used (Equipping items works)
Look man, if with one foot in the grave somehow today I finally realize I'm a masochist, instead of a phone I'd rather go for this:
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

June 27th, 2020, 15:38
Necro-ing my own thread but it seemed most fitting.

This project seems to have badly stagnated but instead a different one called OpenGothic seems to be developing nicely https://github.com/Try/OpenGothic

Maybe at some point there'll be an Android or a Switch version
--

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Gothic 1/2 » REGoth - OpenSource-Reimplementation of the zEngine