Colony Ship - Demo Updated

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A status update on Colony Ship announces an update to the demo.

CSG update #44 - Demo update and status report
May 09, 2020

The combat demo:

Overall, it went spectacularly well (for a change). Of course, the beta test was encouraging but there's a huge difference between handpicked battle-hardened veterans and the general public. It could have easily gone sideways but didn't, which is encouraging.

To-date the demo's been downloaded 3,754 times (no idea whether it's good or bad, but surely it's better than nothing), the average time played is 3 hours 2 min. We gained 4,359 wishlists in the last 30 days (and lost 227 - I assume they were disappointed with the demo), so our total is 23,261.

We spent the last 3 weeks processing the feedback and improving the overall design (added Recoil Control (a derived stat), close combat engagement (can't do reaction shots at other combatants, cover bonus is halved), displayed initiative in combat as well as bonus APs granted by feats, full party weapons reload, etc). We've also added feat icons, more hairstyles and facial customization options (tattoos and scars), as well as the interface improvements.

The demo is now updated, so you can take it for a spin and see the current changes. We'll continue improving the character & combat systems, and interface (and thus the demo), so stay tuned. In other news:

Quests:

We've started implementing quests and we expect all the Pit's quests to be done in 2 months. Let's say 3 months to be safe, which will give us plenty of time to finish the Armory (half-done) and the Hydroponics (only the first area of the Hydroponics will be available in Chapter 1, the other two areas will require heavy gear and skills) to launch the game on Early Access by the end of the year.

Here's the very first (optional) quest you recieve. If you talk to Tanner in the demo, you know that he wants you to go to the Armory but it's a dangerous trip and you might need a buddy, either to become a life-long traveling companion or to shield you from bullets and die a noble death so that you can live and prosper.

The first companion is Evans the Rifleman and he will gladly help you if you help him first.

Animations - much improved; we're slowly working through the combat animations, then will start on non-combat animations, different poses for bar patrons and such, and creature animations.

Various models - working on more energy weapons, including shotguns (more like that concussion rifle in Dark Forces) and SMGs.

Creatures - four out of six creatures are done, so we're right on schedule there.

Stealth - next on the list. Sneaking and generating noise are the easy part. The tricky part that determines if the system works or not is what happens when you make enough noise to attract the guards' attention. It works on paper and screen mockups, hopefully it will work well in-game.
More information.

the average time played is 3 hours 2 min
That is really really solid for average playtime. All sounds very promising.

I'm thinking of trying this demo out but bit hesitant. I had to min/max stats out for AoD - is it similar with Colony Ship? Are there multiple difficulty setting?

I'm thinking of trying this demo out but bit hesitant. I had to min/max stats out for AoD - is it similar with Colony Ship? Are there multiple difficulty setting?
I asked about that on here a few months ago. VD replied that there probably won't be difficulty levels, but he was liking the idea of having a feat(?) you can select called "Beginner's Luck" that gives you some stat boosts if you feel the need to pick it.

As far as min/maxing goes, I think when it comes to turn-based games, any party-based game always gives you a lot more leeway than a single-character game. It opens up a lot more tactical options in combat, and gives you a lot more ways to solve things. Because of that, I'd be surprised if you need to be as careful with your numbers in CS as you had to in AoD.

Just a combat demo at the moment. So unless you want to try out the combat, no point yet.

I will probably wait till full game is out then.

I asked about that on here a few months ago. VD replied that there probably won't be difficulty levels, but he was liking the idea of having a feat(?) you can select called "Beginner's Luck" that gives you some stat boosts if you feel the need to pick it.

As far as min/maxing goes, I think when it comes to turn-based games, any party-based game always gives you a lot more leeway than a single-character game. It opens up a lot more tactical options in combat, and gives you a lot more ways to solve things. Because of that, I'd be surprised if you need to be as careful with your numbers in CS as you had to in AoD.

Thanks for the info :)

I will probably wait till full game is out then.

They will likely release a demo of the first few areas like they did with AoD, so may as well wait for that to decide if this is for you.

Although if you're open to it. I would recommend trying AoD again without min/maxing. Just play a full combat build or a full talker build. Happy to give tips :)

They will likely release a demo of the first few areas like they did with AoD, so may as well wait for that to decide if this is for you.

Although if you're open to it. I would recommend trying AoD again without min/maxing. Just play a full combat build or a full talker build. Happy to give tips :)

Maybe min/maxing wasn't right term to use. I created a character who's only good at talking - that's what I meant by I had to min/max in my earlier post.

Back
Top Bottom