Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Played Mortal Shell beta for few hours and loved it. It is hard, but addictively hard. It has a number of things that sets it apart from Dark Souls including the combat which uses the harden and parry features which adds strategic depth to the combat. I also like the atmosphere and the small details in the environment which are modelled very well (e.g. enemy npcs gathering around a fire playing a lute, mud fish jumping around, .. etc). Everything has a place and integrates nicely in the world. The enemy variety is good and the AI is pretty good as well.

They also have a feature that I find nice, which is that you have to discover the purpose and functions of items that you find by using more than once (rather than by magically finding out their function).

Lots of care and attention went into this and the combat I found pretty well done but has a learning curve. Also the two shells in the beta play distinctively, which means that there should be good replay value with 4 shells and their distinctive skills and weapons in the full game. Pleasantly surprised by this!

Played Mortal Shell beta for few hours and loved it. It is hard, but addictively hard. It has a number of things that sets it apart from Dark Souls including the combat which uses the harden and parry features which adds strategic depth to the combat. I also like the atmosphere and the small details in the environment which are modelled very well (e.g. enemy npcs gathering around a fire playing a lute, mud fish jumping around, .. etc). Everything has a place and integrates nicely in the world. The enemy variety is good and the AI is pretty good as well.

They also have a feature that I find nice, which is that you have to discover the purpose and functions of items that you find by using more than once (rather than by magically finding out their function).

Lots of care and attention went into this and the combat I found pretty well done but has a learning curve. Also the two shells in the beta play distinctively, which means that there should be good replay value with 4 shells and their distinctive skills and weapons in the full game. Pleasantly surprised by this!

Been meaning to try the demo but I don't remember my Epic login and for some reason it isn't saved to my lastpass. I'll get to it at some point but don't feel like dealing with it now even though it's probably just a few minutes of work.

Reminds me of watching the Jetsons when I was young and george would be at work pressing a button and complaining how much work it was. :lol:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Bohemia 1403 Trailer

Bohemia – located in the heart of Europe, the region is rich in culture, silver, and sprawling castles. The death of its beloved ruler, Emperor Charles IV, has plunged the kingdom into dark times: war, corruption, and discord are tearing this jewel of the Holy Roman Empire apart.
Othercide: Inside the Tactical-RPG Combat - Official Behind the Scenes

The development team behind Othercide takes you behind the scenes of the making of this artistically gorgeous and unique tactical RPG one more time, focusing on the combat.

Encased RPG Dev Update 8 - History Behind Russian Fallout

In today's development update we will talk about the Russian Fallout phenomenon in the gaming industry. We will open the curtains of the history behind this phenomenon and tell you how Encased differs from a typical game of this genre.
Exoplanet: First Contact - Juvenile Hornhog Battle

Jack wanted to pick a mushroom but the little hornhod had some serious objections.

Rune II Development Update - Narrative Overhaul in the Works
This last month on RUNE II, we’ve been hard at work on bringing a new narrative experience to RUNE II’s campaign. It’s one thing for us to tell you about it, but I’d rather tell you when you can play for yourself.

Coming Soon to a PTR Near You

The revised tutorial for RUNE II and Chapter 1 of our narrative update will be landing on the RUNE II Public Test Realm later this week. The PTR is available to all customers of RUNE II. You can learn more about how to download the RUNE II PTR in this post. As with previous PTR updates, we are looking for detailed feedback to ensure that we are on the right track.

Any feedback that starts with “I had / did not have fun with Chapter 1 of the narrative update because __________” or “I feel that the tutorial doesn’t do a good enough job to teach ________, and this is why I feel that way: _________” is immensely helpful to us. For example “I feel that the tutorial changes are good, because it taught me that I could craft runes at a Rune Forge. The best place to give us feedback is on our official forums in the PTR Discussion Section or on our official Discord.

We ask that you make an effort as you’re playing to distinguish between needed fixes and tweaks vs core concepts that just aren’t working correctly.
At this time, the only Age that has been updated is Chapter 1: Age of Awakening. We are hard at work on the remaining chapters and we expect them to be available on the PTR in the future.

Steelrising Jehanne Rousseau Interview

Discover the universe of Steelrising alongside Jehanne ROUSSEAU, President of Studio Spiders. Learn more about the inspirations, the mechanics and the history of this game which immerses you in the shoes of an automaton taking part in the French Revolution. Steelrising will be available on PC and next-gen consoles.
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Beta - Raw First Playthrough

Here is raw footage of my Black geyser: Couriers of Darkness first Beta playthrough! This video is meant for the devs to look and watch for bugs. I will timestamp what I can. Thank you for watching!
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Beta!

Knights of the Chalice 2 Q&A with Pierre Begue - Shane Plays
Knights of the Chalice 2 developer Pierre Begue (Heroic Fantasy Games) was kind enough to share some time and information on his upcoming game as well as answer a few questions I had. Thanks also go to Robbie Sambat for the introduction which made this Q&A possible (listen for some of Robbie’s music in the game).

KotC 2 comes 11 years after the original, which released in 2009. It features a party-based CRPG using the OGL 3.5 ruleset featuring turn-based combat, emergent AI, 2D graphics and a powerful innovative toolset (the OGL 3.5 ruleset is the ruleset that powers the 3.5 edition of the tabletop Dungeons & Dragons RPG).

17 years ago Obsidian was founded (A Few Days Late) - Twitter

EaVg5PtUcAA2Es1

On this day 17 years ago, Obsidian was founded! Thank you all for the wonderful memories and for joining us on this amazing adventure! Happy Obsidian Day everyone!
Are Xbox Series X developers being held back by Xbox One? - Gamesindustry.biz
Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart says that from the perspective of building RPGs, new hardware doesn't change the company's priorities.

"Of course technology is important to RPGs, but for us it is about characters, story, reactivity and player agency," he says. "I was playing an Apple 1.5-plus -- it wasn't really an Apple 2 because my friend's dad had cobbled it together -- and we were playing Wizardry in like 1980. And here we are 40 years later, and

For InXile's Brian Fargo, the possibilities brought about by the SSD and ray-tracing are exciting. But he reminds us that, as more people upgrade to Series X and more powerful PCs, there will come a time when attention will switch from the older machines to the new ones.
Developing for Xbox Game Pass - Gamesindustry.biz
Echoing Schafer's comments about opening that folder of crazy ideas, Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart feels that Game Pass will enable the RPG studio [which Microsoft acquired in 2018] to create things that wouldn't get approved otherwise. Such as its upcoming survival game, Grounded.

"This isn't anti-publisher, but try to sell a publisher on something strange, and they're like 'if we put money in this, how are we going to make that back?' Which is absolutely the right way to look at it. Game Pass emboldens us to go 'we think this could be super cool', and there's people who can just try it.

Brian Fargo, who leads another of Microsoft's new studios InXile, ponders whether Game Pass will change how he releases and supports his games.
"We can do maybe more DLC because there are more live customers all the time. And DLC could be something very short, very long, we can start thinking about mod communities…"

He continues: "Maybe we are still going to make a 60-hour game, but not at launch. Maybe it's a third of that, and then we bring the content out over a period of time. There are opportunities where you don't feel the need to maybe step-up and put out that size of game with Game Pass. But we still have to feel it is a compelling, fulfilling experience no matter what that hour length is. We could have a fun, philosophical debate about a 20-hour game vs a 50-hour game. I play a lot of these products, and oftentimes I find myself saying 'I'm ready to win now', but I have 20 more hours to go."

Weird West - Gameplay Developer Commentary

Survive and unveil the mysteries of the Weird West through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes in an immersive sim from the co-creators of Dishonored and Prey.
PC Gaming Show 2020 Weird West Pressing Questions Interview

As part of the PC Gaming Show 2020, President and Creative Director of Wolfeye Studios, Raphael Colantonio took part in a rapid-fire interview all about Weird West.
Battle Brothers Developer Blog #143 - Nomads
With the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC releasing on August 13, we’ve now entered the final leg of development. We’re currently ironing out all the bugs and balancing issues, and we’ll be able to show you actual gameplay in motion before release. For now, let’s take a look at a new human faction that we only mentioned in passing so far. Read on!

Gamedec Know Your Equipment Marcin Przybyłek Extended Description

Welcome to another episode of the Gamedecverse Extended Description. In this video, you will hear more details about Gamedec's Equipment - 6 essential things you need to have to enter the sensory (virtual) worlds.
WoW Director Says New Expansion Is Perfect for Returning Players

Watch as we catch up with game director Ion Hazzikostas as he breaks down World of Warcraft: Shadowlands' accessibility for new players as the eighth expansion in a 16-year-old game, and why it was important to bring the max level back down to its original cap.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Official Videos

Naudrion: Fall of The Empire Teaser Trailer - Steam

Naudrion: Fall of the Empire is an open-world single-player role-playing computer game. The game takes place in the world of dark fantasy and any of your actions can lead to consequences.
Everything You Need To Know About Wasteland 3's Co-op -GameInformer
Multiplayer isn’t something inXile traditionally includes in its games – for that matter, multiplayer isn’t something that many classic CRPGs have offered. However, in Wasteland 3, players can explore Colorado’s post-apocalyptic wastes with a friend at their side. This is an entirely new way for Wasteland fans to experience the game, and inXile is excited for players to work together as they overcome new survival challenges. Here is everything you need to know about Wasteland 3's multiplayer mode.
Torchlight III Early Access Update -State of the Game: Week 4
Week 4 of Early Access already!

It seems like there are a million things happening all at once. We’ve delivered the third frontier, the Echonok Mountains, we’re currently revealing our end-game system, Fazeer’s Dun’djnn Challenge, and have a major Relic re-work on the way. Your input is working - we’re responding every way we can to the amazing feedback you’ve given us. It’s not just in these big ticket items, it’s all the way down to minor bugs and tweaks. Last update had 18 internal pages of patch notes, and a lot of it was in direct response to your input. We are not done, so please keep it coming! Aside from these new features, we’re always looking at bugs, balance changes, and quality of life additions. We are aware that there are still some problems with rubber-banding, with portalling issues, and with occasional disconnects. Those are ongoing issues, and while we have fixes being delivered, fixes in QA, and fixes still planned, we know they are issues that are bothering you, so rest assured we are going as fast as we can to keep you playing at full speed. Speaking of full-speed, we are also pleased to tell you that we’ll be implementing a Test Realm, where our new content and features can be tested and proved before they are ready for our live Early Access build. This should actually speed us up, letting us work faster on new content, while also preserving the experience and integrity of the live branch. We have promised you an active and responsive Early Access, and we hope to keep delivering on that promise. You are helping us make Torchlight 3 a worthy successor to our franchise, and our development team appreciates every single one of you!

- Max

Necromunda: Underhive Wars Game Modes Overview - Steam
Greetings, friends and fellow Necromunda fans.

We hope that this message finds you well, and that you’ve enjoyed our previous Gameplay Overview #1 DevBlog. As promised, we’re back today with a new exciting entry, in order to cover the multiple Game Modes that will be available to you in Necromunda: Underhive Wars.

And so, without further ado, let’s dive right in!
Tainted Grail Early Access Plans for the Future - Steam
Hello! It's been a really long and very weird week for us! We've been hard at work, and we've been improving the game in plenty of different places - and there's this paradox that even though we've made A LOT of fixes, you're going to see mostly relatively small (but essential) improvements this week.

We're constantly enhancing our back-end and working on things that are going to be ready-for-release within a couple of weeks, but since it's easy to say that and you don't really have a reason to trust us, we decided to share some of the information about what can you expect in the future ;)

So here's a couple of things we'd like to tell you about our upcoming patches and plans!
Starpoint Gemini 3 “Achiever” Early Access Update - Steam
Hi everyone!

It is almost the middle of the month, so a fitting time for next Starpoint Gemini 3 Early Access update!

Since it's summertime, and the pandemic situation shows no signs of easing, we hope you're still keeping yourself safe and healthy. And clocking some good gaming hours is luckily one of the things that can help with maintaining your safety and distancing while still experiencing a bit of good old fun.

There are a number of improvements in this update, we've included a nice list of fixes and upgrades based on your feedback throughout various forum discussions. Two things will stand out though – firstly the beginning of implementation of a second gameplay „style“ that leans more towards simulation.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood Developer Interview

The World of Remnant: From the Ashes - Ward Prime

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Upcoming Performance Improvements - Steam
Hello everyone!

The Second Dawn patch will be coming soon with its bug fixing, balancing changes, and performance improvements. Today, we would like to share some major improvements this patch will bring to game performance.

These last few months, we’ve run a lot of tests, gathered tons of feedback, and we’ve spotted a certain number of issues related to performance impacts, whether you are in simple a scenario or in a complex endgame fight.

After analyzing common gameplay situations we were able to pinpoint several cases where significant performance improvements could be gained for most playstyles.
Corven - Path of Redemption Funded - Kickstarter
We did it!!! Thank you all so much! The whole team is super excited and we are blown away by the support you showed us! We will create the best possible game for you in return! We will release a final version of the demo as soon as the rest of the portraits are done.

Remnant!? Oh... wrong one again. <sigh>

Fallout: Miami June Live Stream

Fallout: Miami is an upcoming mod for Fallout 4.
Battle Brothers Developer Blog #144 - Even More Smaller Things
Polishing the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC continues as we take a look at another potpourri of smaller additions and quality of life improvements coming with the release on August 13. You can already wishlist the DLC on Steam and GOG. Let’s take a look!

Matt Chat - Brian Heins on Tyranny and South Park

Brian Heins returns to talk about Tyranny, the ups and downs of crowdfunding, comedy in games, and of course, South Park: Stick of Truth.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong developer Inerview

PC Gamer’s Best PC RPGs - PC Gamer
Welcome to our roundup of the best RPGs on PC. The list contains hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of adventure.

Since tabletop RPGs first started getting the digital treatment, the genre has grown into an intimidating, massive beast. Many of the best RPGs you can play on PC are of the action variety, hailing from the explosive years of 3D RPGs like Oblivion. More recently, classic style RPGs like Pillars of Eternity with closer ties to their tabletop roots have seen a resurgence in popularity. Our list of the best RPGs on PC have something to scratch your roleplay itch whether you prefer fast-paced swordplay or more methodical turn-based games.

Last edited:
Yarntown a Pixel Art Action Inspired by Bloodborne Game - Itch.io

Weird West - Raphael Colantonio Interview - Screenrant
President of Wolfeye Studios Raphael Colantonio sits with Screen Rant to discuss Weird West, Devolver's upcoming action rpg / immersive sim.
George Ziets new RPG studio Digimancy signed a well known Publisher - Twitter
Here’s some cool news. We (@DigimancyGames) just signed a contract with one of my favorite publishers, based on a pitch we wrote for them. Work begins soon, stay tuned!
The OuterWorlds DLC Announcement Soon? - Obsidian Forum
Greetings employees of Halcyon, The Board is pleased to announce that we have been able to acquire a portion of The Outer Worlds website! Feel free to take an additional 5-minute break today to visit the website, you've earned it!

As usual, it's probably going to be too little, too late for me.
You must learn the ways of the Zloth. The hype can deceive you, don't trust it! Patience, frugality, being too lazy to type in your credit card number - these are the weapons of a Gamer! Stretch out with your BACKLOG, Jedi Farrell! ;)

Back
Top Bottom