HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Turn Based Lovers show us part 2 of their upcoming turn based RPGs list:

Here's the list:

00:12 - 1971 Project Helios
1971 Project Helios is a turn-based strategy game that combines modern warfare military tactics and close combat. Firearms and vehicles are scarce, conflicts and hostilities have no end, and the terrible freezing cold annihilates friends and foes in its path.

02:14 - End State
A turn-based tactical game inspired by games such as Xcom and Jagged Alliance. But it is from the latter that he takes more inspiration and that from the first screenshots reminds me a lot of Jagged Alliance 2. Could it be the real successor of the Jagged Alliance that we are all waiting for? Let start with my End State overview.

03:22 - Ikenfell
A turn-based tactical RPG about a group of troublesome magic students. Use timing mechanics to power your spells and block attacks, explore the twisted halls of a vast magic school, fight challenging monsters and bosses, and uncover dark secrets never meant to be found.

06:15 - Iron Danger
Iron Danger is a tactical combat game with a unique time manipulation mechanic. A never before seen combination that combines the tactical depth of turnbased games with the exciting action of real-time games.

07:25 - Land of Arxox
Explore the 8-Biomes of Arxox. Live the life of a Dwarf, Elf, or Human folk hero. Hunt. Fish. Master spell runes of the ancients and defeat a powerful Arch Villain.

07:43 - Sacred Fire
A highly original turn-based RPG by indie Poetic Studio where the feelings of the characters will influence the course of the story and even the combat phase.

10:12 - Small Saga
Venture below the streets of London, and you will find the bustling kingdom of Rodentia, home to creatures great and small.

11:37 - Space Wreck
A passenger shuttle is damaged after pirate attack and you must find replacement parts on nearby derelict space ship. -- Intentionally short hardcore role playing game that borrows as much as possible from best isometric RPGs (Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum).

12:50 - Sentinels of Freedom
Prepare for a story-driven campaign within the Sentinel Comics universe as you join forces with an ever-growing team of heroes to face a wide variety of villains.

14:32 - Wizards of Unica
When turn-based combats are combined with roguelike elements, puzzles, and spells, Wizards of Unica comes out.

15:15 - The Last Spell
The Last Spell is a turn-based tactical RPG immersed in roguelite mechanics in which you lead a team of hardened heroes to defend the last bastion of humanity against hordes of monsters.
More information.

Was the first part published here? If so, can someone point me the URL?

Sadly turn-based RPG's are not my preference, but three games on that list do interest me.

Sadly turn-based RPG's are not my preference, but three games on that list do interest me.

From the list above, I'm only interested in End State and perhaps Iron Danger.

Last edited:
Wow, End State looks like the JA we've been waiting for…

EDIT: Apparently the game's status is questionable as the devs have disappeared and/or left the project. Forum post from Steam:

"The last message we got in the Discord is from October 16th, one of the 'former devs' said he'd send a message to the last dev actually involved in the development, he said he wants to ask him to give a "public status update" about the game.
We never got a responce since then, from neither of them.

So, currently it's not looking good, but that's all we have by now."

That sucks since this game is what i would like to play !!

Wow, End State looks like the JA we've been waiting for…

EDIT: Apparently the game's status is questionable as the devs have disappeared and/or left the project. Forum post from Steam:

"The last message we got in the Discord is from October 16th, one of the 'former devs' said he'd send a message to the last dev actually involved in the development, he said he wants to ask him to give a "public status update" about the game.
We never got a responce since then, from neither of them.

So, currently it's not looking good, but that's all we have by now."

I'm pretty stoked for Sacred Fire.

Many of the others seem interesting too though I probably wouldn't like the ones with roguelike elements.

The one I will avoid like the plague is Iron Dagger. Real-time action elements? Keep that button mashing dreck out of my turn-based games! :p

I'm pretty stoked for Sacred Fire.

Many of the others seem interesting too though I probably wouldn't like the ones with roguelike elements.

The one I will avoid like the plague is Iron Dagger. Real-time action elements? Keep that button mashing dreck out of my turn-based games! :p

Except that there is no button smashing at all, instead it is very deeply tactical and you give commands in very similar manner as in traditional turn-based games :)
So you're never in hurry, but can really think things in peace. And even rewind time back to try another way and think it better. In the sense, it brings tactical combat even more tactical and gives it even this puzzlelike element.

The term "action elements" come from the fact that after you have given command(s) everything moves simultaneously. So you can for example fell tree on path of moving enemy felling it on top of him with perfect timing etc. So when the things unravel by your commands it gives this nice action feeling with characters dodging and blocking attacks and evading environmental hazards, but actual mechanics are pretty much turn-based like.

I think the core audience is the gamers who like tactical aspect of games like DOS or XCOM-series. If you like combat in either of those games, I'm pretty sure you'll like combat in Iron Danger as well. However, tons of action RPGers and puzzlers have also liked it a lot as their "gate drug" to the tactical gaming.

Oh yes, and as a disclaimer, one of devs here (and very much turn-based gamer myself as well) :)

Cheers!

I no longer get hyped about games - rather i prefer to wait for the finish product to decide. Too many 'great' games at early development turn into dogs and i guess the converse is also true but not as often.

Endstate seems OK: it had an amazing predecessor in 2003, titled SILENT STORM which had better map destruction and everything. The rest not so much. The Last Spell seems insane, because they had only one spell - the last one - and they cast it in the intro, so I assume there won't be any spells left for the game and it looks really crazy.. to risk buying it..

Back
Top Bottom