Kingdom Come - Launch Trailer

After having played for 7 hours now I think the Game has some issues regarding how to bring the player into the game.

You basically think right away that you could do everything. But your goals and options are extremely scripted.

At one point for example I had like multiple steps in a quest and one of the optional ones was to get a horse.
But I also found an "activity giver" who told me to bring him pig skins. So what I did was to go into the forest and whop - cutscene how I walked to the other size on foot (optional part to get a horse failed).

A few minutes later in a dialoge I was told that my horse was gone. And my character answered "no problem, it was stolen anyways".
But I didn't have a frickin horse, because th game didn't let me get one!

I think I reached the point now where the actual game started and the 6h prologue thing finally finished.

Aaaand…
I have to suggest using this mod.

I just passed a huge chunk of the game, beaten a guy and basically the game wants me to steal from him, I steal his axe and then he calls a guard. Dafuq?
Okay screwit I can't bribe the guard and I can't win barehands against him - reload so I won't steal again…

And it returned me at point of throwing turds, I now have to to buy skillbook again, train sword again, etc, probably a whole hour if not more of the game wasted.

I thought it autosaves on each quest but apparently not or it's bugged.
'tis sad.

Maybe the game is meant to have you "live with the consequences" ? I think we need more RPGs like that, there really are none like that out at the moment, but they also have to be designed and designed well for it, i.e. a failstate is also not a "you just lost an hour of content because you died" state. So maybe instead of the guard killing you and you have to re-load, they arrest you and your new path branches from there. Or, if you resist arrest, they beat you up, take some gold or whatever and warn you. The game would just have to be designed to accommodate such a Consequences Mode. But I'd love one. I've been hoping that Piranha Bytes does something like that in the future as an optional mode. Their games can be tweaked to adopt something like that.

Maybe the game is meant to have you "live with the consequences" ?
May be. And I would live it's consequences if it was me who made a choice. But it wasn't me. The choice was made by - a bug.

On replaying that whole part, after winning the brawl yet again, I noticed that picking the axe now won't mark me as a thief. No guard summoned.

Thus, use the mod!

May be. And I would live it's consequences if it was me who made a choice. But it wasn't me. The choice was made by - a bug.

On replaying that whole part, after winning the brawl yet again, I noticed that picking the axe now won't mark me as a thief. No guard summoned.

Thus, use the mod!

Right right. Didn't realize it was a bug, that's no good.

Maybe if someone mods a total overhaul for some magical D&D-type setting, I'll check it out then. :)

The prologue is heavily scripted and a bit ham fisted but it's a sort of tutorial (a bit long) and the good thing is that there are no dragons (I'm so fed up with the overgrown lizards everywhere). :)

As for the saving I say use the mod.

Nowadays most of us probably have more games than they could possibly play in a lifetime (I know I do) so wasting time and having to retrace your steps is no fun...

Not to mention that if you can't afford to play long gaming sessions saving is very likely to become a major nuisance.

The devs want the game to be a hardcore experience but it's a single player game so saving anywhere should be possible especially considering that playing "ironman" blind when a game isn't fully patched can only lead to problems.

I just wish more RPGs had "Ironman" or interesting difficulty options you could at least turn on as options. If someone wants to save/quicksave/not use those options, they should be able to turn them off. But usually that means just removing the Ironman option or interesting mechanic altogether rather than have a setting you can change for it.

The prologue is heavily scripted and a bit ham fisted but it's a sort of tutorial (a bit long)

But the thing is, that it's doing a quite bad job in teaching the player anything.

Like "Here is the horse, here is how to ride. Don't try to experiment with it though, because that will kill you and you need to start over."

Same with the box. You might need to pick a lock quite at the beginning.
It's very helpful then that there is a box you can train on 7h in the game.

Back
Top Bottom