Nighthawks - Ultimate Vampire RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Richard Cobbett is the guy behind Nighthawks, which is said to take inspiration from Sunless Seas and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! Months ago, I said I'd love to see an RPG that mixed the literary glories of Sunless Sea/Skies with the dark atmosphere of beloved urban fantasy games like Vampire: Bloodlines.

I never could let go of a good idea.

Welcome to Nighthawks. https://t.co/t5yWqCO6Ch

— Richard Cobbett (@richardcobbett) August 15, 2018

Get ready for the ultimate vampire RPG - http://www.nighthawks-game.com

More information.

These seem to be pretty respectable devs that have made some well-received games, and the idea sounds interesting. But that promo video is very unfortunate - couldn't do much more to scream "cheap knockoff".

This is definitely not the first thing that would come to my mind when talking about an RPG inspired by Bloodlines.

Is this supposed to be a gamebook? Those are never very popular on steam.

Regardless, anything by Wadjet Eye is bound to be at least halfway decent.

I don't see anything "ultimate" there. Besides:
http://www.143books.com.au/card-games/ultimate-vampire-one-night-p-261.html
one%20night%20ultimate%20vampire%20bezier%20games%20143books.jpg

one%20night%20ultimate%20vampire%20back%20143books.jpg

So another interactive book basically?o_O

I'll pass thanks for getting my hopes up with the what inspired the game.

After watching that video and reading a few previews it's mostly a Visual novel with maybe a few choices enabled/driven by your skills. I might buy it one day on sale.

As I played other games like this. Just don't call it an RPG.
Like it or not, in the gamer market rpg have come to mean a precise thing, and adding rpg *elements* into a VN does not make it a RPG for most gamers. I agree by the way, we categorize games so that people know what to expect. Calling a VN with RPG element a RPG when people expect something else from RPG is a tad bit misleading.
Starting to wonder if anyone will make a Vampire Masquerade inspired RPG. Probably never as Paradox just sits on the game Ip they bought a few years back.

So now we play RPG gamebooks instead of reading them?

Wait hold on.
A gamebook is a work of printed fiction that allows the reader to participate in the story by making choices. The narrative branches along various paths, typically through the use of numbered paragraphs or pages. Gamebooks are sometimes called choose your own adventure books or CYOA after the influential Choose Your Own Adventure series originally published by US company Bantam Books. Gamebooks influenced hypertext fiction.

Production of new gamebooks in the West decreased dramatically during the nineties as choice based stories have moved away from print based media, although the format may be getting a new lease of life on mobile and ebook platforms. Such digital gamebooks are considered interactive fiction.
Yep same as a visual novel in concept.

Have you played Sunless Sea or the House of Many Doors? I really enjoyed both of them which surprised me. I bought Sunless Sea on sale for 5$, and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Its funny, because the Banner Saga, for example, was a huge dissapointment for me. So if this is like Sunless Sea, I'd give it a go. Both Sunless Sea and HOMD had nice exploration (which was pretty much absent from the Banner Saga) and that's something you don't find in a visual novel. I will definitely consider supporting this one.

Nope never played Sunless Sea or the House of Many Doors.

I rather play Banner Saga so we differ on that.

Update
“A Vampire RPG” didn’t scan as well. And it’s not a Vampyr RPG. That would be treading on toes!
And it’s not a CYOA, it’s definitely an RPG. The interface is choose-an-option, but with a ton of stuff underneath that as far as life simulation and stories go. Much like Sunless Sea, really. It’s a way of offering a ton of responsiveness and choices that you can’t really model outside of text.
Oh cool, so it’s like a Fighting Fantasy IF?
Do you think it will directly appeal to Bloodlines fans? They’ve been awfully picky to date over nailing their colors to anything short of a 1st person RPG with the V:tM license. cf the World of Darkness Preludes games.
Well that still doesn't make me want to play his game.

I'd prefer a 1st person RPG with the V:tM license.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom