Resistance is futile...

zahratustra

SasqWatch
"The US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple today that reveals various concepts behind a newly advanced service in development that entails subsidizing an incredible array of hardware from Apple. The hardware ranges from their sizzling hot iPhone to Apple TV - the set top box - to an actual television, notebook, iPod touch and more. The subsidization could also cover software from Apple or third party developers. What's the catch? You'll have to endure a very complicated and savvy advertising scheme that makes sure that you're paying attention. If not, the system can freeze the user out until compliance is met. This isn't for everyone, especially if ads in your face are something you want to avoid at all costs. But for the mass market, this is a whole new ballgame! Steve Jobs is noted in Apple's credits for this patent and we could be assured that his name all but tells us that this program isn't a fantasy of an Apple engineer. The implications of such a marketing move could rock the industry..."

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...market-with-hardware-subsidizing-program.html

Generally I think anyone stupid enough to use an Apple product gets what they deserve, but the thing the rest of us need to worry about is whether other companies will start doing the same thing. We really need some legislation to control this sort of thing and sort out ownership of software in general, but I think we all know how likely that is.

So this is a patent about advertising ?

How fitting ! I have an article in a computing magazine lying beside my which is about advertising in Windows 8 …

It's more about compelling you to pay (what Apple considers) a proper amount of attention to the adds inflicted upon you.

Back
Top Bottom