Gothic 3 Crossbow and Bow.

Anybody know how the fire arrows work? As far as I understand, there is a chance with every arrow that the victim catches fire and burns for a certain amount of time. I suppose this chance varies with each type of creature, but if I recall correctly, I have only ever been able to set some boars on fire. So, are the chances really so slim or does the probability of enemies catching fire go up with the hunting skill (I have only 150 or so points in hunting)?

I don't think it's a ratio type timer eg: 1:20 or similar, it seems more completely random to me.
I've had lizards and snakes burning (when dead) and yet sometimes there's no burning at all...?

But now that you mention it, i did seem more frequent as the hunting skill increased - noticed above 180 or 200.

I think they always do added damage, but sometimes a DoT is added on top of that. Fireballs have the same effect from time to time, adding a DoT after hitting an enemy.

I preferred the targeting system in Gothic 1&2 where the creatures name would appear above it when it was targeted. I don't like the white pointer crosshair in Gothic 3 at all. Does anyone know if it can be disabled?

Why don't we get Roasted Meat when we get a kill with Fire Arrows? Developers!!!

Anywho, crossbow is pretty useless, although I have gotten up on a few rooftops and rained death from above on the Orcs, mainly saving precious arrows. Reload time is too slow for most things and the occasional 'With what?' is really annoying.

Enclave! That was not really a very good game, yet I played through 3 times... Gorgeous for its day.

I preferred the targeting system in Gothic 1&2 where the creatures name would appear above it when it was targeted. I don't like the white pointer crosshair in Gothic 3 at all. Does anyone know if it can be disabled?

Well, I don't know HOW to make it disappear, but I imagine something in the .ini file would do it. Still, I would think disabling the crosshair would disable your ability to use ranged weapons. Are you sure you want to do that? As far as I know G3 doesn't lock on target with ranged weapons like the previous two games - you HAVE to aim, like it or not, that's the new design - so isn't a crosshair helpful?

So many players moaned about G1 and G2 bow targeting system, serves em' right, this new crosshair "V" target system is what must learn to live with. The V indicator changes in size as you allow for the natural curve of the arrow path which assists to still hit targets as they fade from view (which sometimes prevents being detected) a big improvement in my opinion.

gothic 1 and 2 didn't have a targeting system, unless you call autoaim for that. It was quite silly that an arrow could do 180 degrees turn in the air and hit the opponent behind you!

The new melee combat may not be as good as in previous games, but ranged is a lot better and more rewarding.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "targeting system." You "target" or "focus" an NPC and his name pops up and that's who the arrow hits (Provided your skill is up there enough). I don't ever remember arrows doing 180 degree turns though to hit someone - how is that possible when you must have the NPC in focus to shoot?

Anyway, sorry JDR13, but I'm afraid you are going to be hard-pressed to find another person who dislikes the new system enough to try and disable it.

It's not the system I dislike, just the pointer. I think it's funny looking to have a white pointer just floating around in the air like that. It breaks the immersion factor for me.

Is there any reason why I can't hit a Skeleton with my bow and normal arrows. I think I did this earlier in the game. Now I can't hit them. I have purchased the third bow skill and after playing with it it seems bugged and doesn't seem to add much. Nothing is easier to hit - if anything, I miss more often. Can't hit skeletons and don;t know how the fire arrows work unless I'm out of normal arrows - can;t seem to equip them.

Any ideas?

Not sure about the skeleton thing. As far as arrows are concerned, you have to do this: Place normal arrows and fire arrows in your hot key chart at the bottom of the screen. AFTER you ready your bow, press the hotkey that corresponds to which arrow type you wish to use.
Remember, they will only change when you have your bow out.

aside from the Nimbus, there is also a few high level bows in the Varant desert

I think there was something like a war-bow at about 105 damage, and the "Silent Death" at 115 (the Nimbus is 110)

the extra 5 points of damage might not matter to everybody for the 40 or 36k it costs, but if you want the absolute best...

Back
Top Bottom