Black Desert - This Is An MMO?!

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
Hi All,
So this Black Desert MMO has garnered quite a lot of interest recently so I thought I would share some info about it. In fact, the developers didn't expect the sudden surge of popularity and their website is unstable (offline at time of posting) :p

This is a Korean MMO which is currently in closed beta. The English localization is in the works and the game is slated for a 2015 release. It's also F2P which is amazing when you see how good it looks.

Combat

A little too much motion blur in my opinion but insanely action packed. Relies on a lot of twitchy reflexes and spatial awareness. As a nice touch, the ranged classes have to aim manually during combat. In another video, mounted combat was shown.

Customization

I have never seen customization of this depth or detail in any game ever! Sliders for butt-cheeks, nuff said…

Non-Combat Gameplay

A range of minigames and activities (crafting, housing, mount taming, milking cows!) to prevent combat fatigue :)

All in all, I'm very interested in this game and it could be a major mainstream MMO contender.

Unfortunately, certain MMOs have the best character generation. EVE Online, and now this one. Maybe if they can license the "generator engines" to other studios…
Here's what my EVE character looks like:

90529480_256.jpg

I'm not interested in PVP or generic P2Win MMOs, and cerntainly every Korean MMO that I played was heavy PVP based or P2Win model.

All in all, I'm very interested in this game and it could be a major mainstream MMO contender.

Considering that Pearl Abyss haven't found a NA/EU publisher yet (and are working themselves on translation), chance are you will never see this game...

It does look good, sort of...

I see the site is still down does anyone know when it will be back up? I was going to make a news-bit, but the website as I said is still down.:-/

I have to say the character customization is the best I have seen, It's a shame single-player games never offer a system as deep as showed in the video.

Anyway thanks for the Links Dr. A.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I see the site is still down does anyone know when it will be back up? I was going to make a news-bit, but the website as I said is still down.:-/

I think they are just too busy making the game and talking about it on Facebook.

The studio own webpage is rather empty.

We can't draw nice things = indie "retro", "roguelike", "whatevertohidethefact" game
We can't code an AI = MMO
We can't make a decent story = MMO or SP grinder

We can do all of those stuff?
Epic singleplayer RPG.

I wish this game here ends like Amalur.

We can't draw nice things = indie "retro", "roguelike", "whatevertohidethefact" game
We can't code an AI = MMO
We can't make a decent story = MMO or SP grinder

We can do all of those stuff?
Epic singleplayer RPG.

Joxer the parrot everybody he says the same thing every week on schedule.:p Seriously man your like a broken record, and I wonder if you enjoy anything you play anymore.

Looks nice, but I want SP RPGs not another MMO
I agree with you as I prefer SP games myself, but I do play MMO games sometimes.

Last edited:
Joxer the parrot everybody he says the same thing every week on schedule.:p Seriously man your like a broken record, and I wonder if you enjoy anything you play anymore.
Imagine, I do.
Just replayed Risen completely, gonna put it in finished thread in a few minutes. Enjoyed it so much I couldn't believe myself I didn't replay it sooner.

But then again... I'm so much of a parrot noone should be surprised me adoring a no grinder singleplayer RPG DLCfree that can't be ported onto phones ever!

Now thats going too far - Amalur was a fun game with masses of great potential and it doesn't deserve its fate :(

Coincidentally, the full Kingdoms of Amalur collection (original game, weapon + armor bundle and both massive DLCs) are on Steam sale, going for USD $11.99

Black Desert does look freakin' awesome. That character creation is impressive. I've been following the game somewhat. I do hope we see an NA release.

I'm in the Archeage alpha now. I'm digging it so far. I don't know if it will be my replacement for Vanguard, but we'll see.

Honestly I'm really looking forward to this game. I don't expect it to be just more than just another mmo but something about it intrigues me. Maybe finally the possibility of having some dark magic to play with.

I'm reeeally excited about this game. I'm a little sad to see that it's F2P, though I hope it doesn't attract the kinds of players that, say, Aion did after F2P (characters named things like PENI50991), and I hope it doesn't end up as grindy as, like, Lineage II or Ragnarok Online.

Tera was the classiest game that came out of Korea (imho), and I hope that Black Desert maintains some class as well. It's got a whole lot of gorgeous potential and I hope it isn't wasted.

I'm reeeally excited about this game. I'm a little sad to see that it's F2P, though I hope it doesn't attract the kinds of players that, say, Aion did after F2P (characters named things like PENI50991), and I hope it doesn't end up as grindy as, like, Lineage II or Ragnarok Online.

Tera was the classiest game that came out of Korea (imho), and I hope that Black Desert maintains some class as well. It's got a whole lot of gorgeous potential and I hope it isn't wasted.

Oh, I don't know Aubrielle, I think a guy who can admit his PENI5 is only .0991 inches/centimeters long should be admired ;)

Oh, I don't know Aubrielle, I think a guy who can admit his PENI5 is only .0991 inches/centimeters long should be admired ;)

Hahaha! Well done. Well done indeed. xD

Having a look at the korean beta atm, had to buy an account since it's practically impossible to create an account unless you actually have korean citizenship. But so far I'm enjoying it and liking what I see. Has it up's and down's like any mmo but so far the up's make up for the down's and that's coming from someone (aka me) who has been burnt out from mmo's for years now.

They do offer a cosmetic cash shop, for those who like to play a little dressup (yes, I'm guilty..just not in this game!) but from what I've heard the prices are absurdly high.

Let me know if anyone wants me to go more into details about it. I realize mmo's aren't the high peak of this site so I won't bother unless it's really wanted :blush:

Back
Top Bottom