Two Hours With Two Worlds II

Upon reading that I'm immediately wondering (very hopefully) if this could be something close to another Daggerfall…

Do you mean the number of bugs? Because what I remember most from Daggerfall is bugs... deadly, deadly bugs.

Reminds me of the opening UI of Chaos League : You can actually smash bugs with a hammer there. ;)

Nice sound and visuals. ;)

if the idea of a better Two Worlds is attractive to you, this is worth a look.

It sure is attractive to me, yes. I thought Two Worlds was pretty good, once I got past the poor first impression. Not as good as a Gothic game, but far more interesting to explore than that other open world RPG which was released the year before. My conclusion was that it was a promising first entry in the genre for Reality Pump, so I am very interested in seeing how the sequel is.

Kay

You might also wait a few month until the price has dropped a bit, by the way. ;)

If you get it from Gamersgate, like I did, it's only $41 which is the cheapest out there.

Just to reinforce Alistair's response, I definitely wouldn't call this buggy. It just isn't as polished (in terms of animation quality, minor clipping and so on). For example, the wild gesticulation during dialogue is a long way from BioWare's carefully orchestrated emoting.

Only issues atm, aside from getting killed in 2 hits by groms, is the lack of real anisotropic filtering support (doesn't even work when forced in my CCC panel), and no AA support as Dhruin pointed out. Cosmetic things, but important, washed out ground textures are looking circa 2000 atm.

The Real Reason it was delayed

Publisher rights? Nahh. Companies have been pushing Beta versions on us for years to get the money to finish development. So this not finished game is released in smaller markets so generate cash flow and bug reports enough to finish to release in a bigger market ( like UK and US). And these guys are notorious for unpolished releases. So maybe they are getting smarter-- but they are disrespecting their non-english audience.

Publisher rights? Nahh. Companies have been pushing Beta versions on us for years to get the money to finish development. So this not finished game is released in smaller markets so generate cash flow and bug reports enough to finish to release in a bigger market ( like UK and US). And these guys are notorious for unpolished releases. So maybe they are getting smarter— but they are disrespecting their non-english audience.

Sounds like you're overreacting a little. Dhruin specifically said that he wouldn't call the game "buggy", it's just not very polished. So calling it a Beta version seems like an overstatement.

Have you played the game yet? If so, could you say what sort of bugs you have been encountering?

I think even unpolished gives the wrong impression. How polished were Mass Effect's horse races?

Gamestar... Horses are impossible to use on PC because you can only navigate them in 90° steps.
Was this a Gamestar quote? It's wrong - the horses steer fine with the mouse. Just as well given one of the first quests is a race...

If you get it from Gamersgate, like I did, it's only $41 which is the cheapest out there.
What?? Still?? Sheeesh.

(Zloth calls up the Feds and tells them to print more money.)

I have played for several hours so far and it is far better then the first game in every way and is one of the best looking games I have played. I haven't encountered 1 bug and only one very brief instance of clipping in the opening scene. It does have AA but they are not using standard AA but MLAA instead. I like that you have to be careful on where you go because you can get killed if you go to the wrong places. An example is on the starting island you can't go to far into Grom territory because you will encounter Groms that will kill you in a few hits.

Good so far 10h in or so, not amazing by any means but good..

I've noticed three bugs so far, that when i cast spells or shot arrows sometimes the enemy doesnt even react even though he's hit (no, i don't think i've stunned them ;) ). This has happened twice out of hundreds of killed enemies though. And one time 2 mobs would sink through the ground so i couldnt loot them. Anistropic filtering doesnt work so textures are quite blurry. Nothing big, it'll get fixed im sure.

I like the crafting system. It's very simple, yet fun. Looting is always fun because you can dismantle everything and turn it to new objects that you can upgrade your armor or weapons with. It was good in TW1 but better here, i can understand why Bethesda "borrowed" their old system for FO3. Loot needs to be fun / usefull since its a big part of the gameplay.

Making potions is also very simple, doesnt even require you to buy empty bottles or be at a certain place. Might not be that "immersive" that you can do it directly from your inventory..

I have the impressions that i'm going to end up a "god" in no time in this game (the first game had this problem), but too early to tell (level 12).

The first open-world area is quite boring imo, lots of mountains that you can't pass and have to find another way around / find a small passageway somewhere, lots and lots of walking (or riding), makes me wish i had a flying mount ;)

Last edited:
I just sold all my armor just so i could buy a skill book lol.

EDIT bemushroomed what type of character are you playing? It seems to me the warriors have the edge in this game.

I'm playing a mage and not having any problems fighting. Most of the time I kill the enemies before they get near. when I can't do that I either block then cast or sprint away and cast.

I just sold all my armor just so i could buy a skill book lol.

EDIT bemushroomed what type of character are you playing? It seems to me the warriors have the edge in this game.

I'm playing a combo ranger/warrior type charactor with a little more emphasis on the warrior. Hit em with a few arrows and then finishing them off with melee. I've had a few deaths but it's been very doable.

I'm playing a ranger, it's fun, nice that you can shoot multiple arrows. Tried mage too, but I like this character better.

I really hate how you cant swim how you like, you'll get a "you're too far off the shoreline, swim back or you'll drown". I'd really like to adventure how i wish in these sort of games, without such silly restrictions.

My biggest wish for an expansion: make it possible to dive / swim and make an interesting underwater world with quests, sunken ships, treasures and sea monsters. It's so rare in RPG's. I'm sometimes longing for WoW just because it has underwater exploration / quests (supposed to be even better in the upcoming expansion).

Is there actually anything in the savannah at all? Other than the couple of specific quests (get the inkwell, for example) I haven't actually discovered anything interesting. I found TW empty and this is improved but still seems (very early - could change) to lack the density I would like.

Back
Top Bottom