Budget gaming machine

zahratustra

SasqWatch
2014 promises to be a great year for computer games I need a new comp to give them justice. Unfortunately I'm on a VERY tight budget of about $ 1.100 for the lot (including a case and a new PSU) so I can't have what I want but only what I can afford.
I would like a system which will last me for a while and one which can be upgraded in the future. After a lot of thought I have come up with this:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670 (6M Cache, do 3.80 GHz);
Motherboard - ASRock Z87 Pro4;
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2048MB DDR5/256bit;
System HD - Plextor SSD 128GB 2,5" SIII PX-128M5S;
PSU - Corsair VS 650W ATX;
RAM - 8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866

I would value your opinions and thoughts on this subject.

A 128 GB drive SSD is really tight for a gaming computer, especially assuming you will also use it to store your digital photos and videos - on the other hand this is easily added later, or maybe you are planning to keep using an old HD with the new box?

I would suggest to see if you can't invest in a slightly more powerful PSU, since you want to upgrade this box later and keep it for a while.

Crucial is unknown to me - I always went with Corsair or Kingston RAM, which have always been good choices.

What about the case? You'll want something halfway decent, especially if you need to access it to upgrade and plan on adding more heat later.

The other elements seem good choices to me.

I always used Corsair RAM, those "Speed" "TWINX" editions in dual channel (they were paired 5 yrs ago). Excellent modules never had any problem with RAM. They always were pricey however.

I will keep my old 500 GB HD for other bits and pieces. Case I'm thinking about is Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arc-midi-r2-case-review,3562.html About PSU… I can probably just about afford Corsair Builder Series CX 750W 80+ Bronze, how about that? And RAM…. yeah, I think that I will HAVE go for Kingston HyperX :)

Last edited:
Case looks pretty good, maybe a bit noisy, but if that is not an issue for you... You could also look at Coolermaster - I had my two previous PCs built with cases from them in this price range, and have been quite happy with them - but they too were a bit noisy.

I should probably say that the 650W PSU will probably be totally fine - unless you plan on adding a second graphics card (SLI). 750 W should be fine if you do SLI, consider 800+ if you plan on serious overclocking as well (At least that's the advice I remember from about 1.5 years ago...).

No SLI and no serious overclocking :biggrin:

Should play everything quite nicely. As GBG said, 128gb will be tight - even if you just limit it to OS + Performance intensive software. I have a 256gb and I have to shuffle games around a bit. If you are a more focused gamer than I am (no more than 2 or 3 games at a time) then you may not have any difficulty.

I will have to be focused. 256 GB is out of my reach right now.

Last edited:
Guys, he's combining a decent gaming machine, not a dreamland.
He will need OS on it and a few games. What for would he possibly need more than 120Gb SSD?
Everything else, and I mean everything, can go to the classic HDD. Including games he doesn't play frequently. Pics, music and vids? All will go on HDD.

I'm saying this from my own perspective of course. I still use HDD 320Gb that is split into two equalsized partitions and I've never had a problem with space. However I do uninstall games after I finish them (or backup on external HDD if I plan to replay them in next couple of years). The only game that is still installed for more than a two years is League of Legends since I do play it from time to time, but it's installed on my second partition, not on c:. And if I had SSD, LoL would still be on normal drive as there is no better performance I'd gain if it was on SSD since it's a multiplayer game.

Overall, looks fairly solid. If you're looking for ideas on other budget-minded sleek cases, I really like mine: Corsair Carbide Series 500R.

128gb is plenty for an SSD. You get most of its benefit from quick random reads - perfect for an OS, way overkill for games. Regardless, you can always add on another dedicated gaming/media SSD.

Guys, he's combining a decent gaming machine, not a dreamland.
He will need OS on it and a few games. What for would he possibly need more than 120Gb SSD?
Everything else, and I mean everything, can go to the classic HDD. Including games he doesn't play frequently. Pics, music and vids? All will go on HDD.
Yes, since he has a HDD it's absolutely no problem, but that wasn't clear initially. I have a 128 GB SDD myself, and its pretty much full from the OS, a bit of auxilliary software that came with the hardware, java, drivers, etc. and Microsoft Office. I only have room for a single game on that drive, Witcher 2.

A machine with only SSD 120Gb inside? Good lord, no!
Don't do that! Buy a HDD too, it's cheap. Or simply use the one from the old machine.
Java and drivers won't take too much of space, but MS Office will. Office just cries to be placed on HDD and not on SDD.

And Drithius is correct here. Make a machine you can afford now, after a while when you can afford another SSD, you just buy one more.

LOL joxer of course I will not stick with 128GB SDD only. That one will be just for the system and game or two. I will re-use 500 GB HD from the machine I have now and will place Office there. I don't use it often enough to clog SSD with it.

Is GeForce GTX770 so much better than GTX760 as to justify the $100 price difference?

Here is a list where you can compare them:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
The 760 is gonna be more than up to the task for anything in the RPG world thats currently out, and most of the RPGs coming up soon are not gonna be graphically super demanding, with the possible exception of Witcher 3, I guess.

Yeah, and since I'm building this system with Witcher 3 in mind it seems as I'll have to spend the extra money...

Or buy a cheaper one now, and upgrade to an even better card when W3 comes out?

Or use what gfx card you have on your old machine now and wait for summer (or fall. Should be closer to W3 too) and see what are your options there (i.e. new Maxwells or price drops on the Keplers etc.)

I think that I will do what Jon suggest and keep my old card for now. I just can't justify paying a significant amount for a new card now and than paying again for another one.

Returning to the case… following GBG's advice I have looked at Cooler Master cases and come up with Cooler Master RC-550M-KKN1. Seems to be quieter than Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 and internal temperatures are reasonable. Only thing that puts me off a bit is a single USB3 port on the front panel (but do I really need 2?), the high gloss front door and the fact that soundproofing foam this case uses can become a dust trap…

CoolerMaster makes great cases indeed. I can't personally counsel you on the soundproofing ones though. My own criteria for buying is roominess that allows leeway on future upgrades and plenty of space to facilitate good cooling (and use others frankly expensive and probably not worth the extra price for someone on a reasonable budget, ways to achieve quietness).

In that vein I chose the CoolerMaster 690 Advanced black II a few years back. A great case (almost in between mid and full tower) that allows for very good cable management.
I see that the one you chose probably allows for the same sort of cable management which is good. And as you will not OC or buy very high end gfx cards that dissipate a lot of heat in the box you will not have to worry about the soundproofing working as insulation as I usually do so I see nothing wrong with it at first glance…

Maybe someone else has some experience with these cases ?
P.S. I too dislike plastic front panels. They always feel a bit dingy and fragile. But it seems a good idea if soundproofing matters to you for this one…

Back
Top Bottom