The Witcher - Sells a Million

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
That's into players hands not shipped to retail. It's the current news of the week on the official site and there is an article up at Gamasutra as well. So congratulations to the team.
All the ghouls, vampires and wenches in the world couldn’t stop the white-haired Geralt from conquering the world! CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that The Witcher, the epic RPG that puts players in the morally lenient boots of the aforementioned anti-hero, has sold more than a million copies to real, live people since its release twelve months ago. Scientific research has proven that those sales numbers are quite good for a debut game based on a relatively unfamiliar IP from an unknown studio on a “dead” platform.
More information.

Congratulations indeed and well deserved. Many happy returns.

Quite cool and well deserved indeed! ^^

They might have been an unknown studio in the past, but I can imagine that many players - myself included - will look out for future titles developed by CD Project RED.

I wonder how sales distribute between the original release date and now, and in particular how many copies of the enhanced edition have been sold.

congratulations, this is indeed great news! :)

Great news indeed I hope that they will break 2 millions with Enhanced Edition ;) :)
Anyway it's great that finally the Witcher sequel is officialy (well sort of) confirmed

The regular one and the EE. I don't normally go for collector's editions.

I paid for the EE for several reasons, none of which would have done it by itself: The Witcher is a brilliant game and I felt CDProjekt deserved my support; polishing and re-releasing the game with the extra features, in particular the multi-lingual stuff, was a really commendable thing to do; making the patch available for free was especially commendable; and last but not least, I wanted to save myself the hassle of downloading and patching -- very likely again in the future, on a different machine, or just because I'd cleared the game from my disk to save space.

The regular one and the EE. I don't normally go for collector's editions.

I paid for the EE for several reasons, none of which would have done it by itself: The Witcher is a brilliant game and I felt CDProjekt deserved my support; polishing and re-releasing the game with the extra features, in particular the multi-lingual stuff, was a really commendable thing to do; making the patch available for free was especially commendable; and last but not least, I wanted to save myself the hassle of downloading and patching -- very likely again in the future, on a different machine, or just because I'd cleared the game from my disk to save space.

The EE for free is certainly quality support IMO. My hard drive died on me right at the end of this game so I'm going to (finally) download this and play though again.

I bought it two times - CE and EE and I also picked up the first book. EE i got from amazon for 17 £ but for som reason they cant ship it until late november / early december.

I thought it was boring.

You are boring.

I bought only one copy, but I'm tempted to buy several more and force--uh, I mean give--them to friends. Except most of my friends don't game. Sigh.

It's all a matter of personal taste, of course. I actually found it a bit boring at times (people have compared the writing to PS:T, but I feel that's way off), but I still think it's great that The Witcher sells this well - means we might get more solid cRPGs in the future!

Totally agree. I thought it was a bit boring. Not bad, just not enough there to keep my interest. Not enough freedom, boring combat, little equipment tinkering and the world felt just as cliché, immature and stupid as in oblivion. I believe EE probably made it better though. Might try it sometime.

But Witcher did put a lot of effort into the story and created a dark world. As Maylander says, money talks in the game making business. More rpgs to the people! (btw playing fallout 3 now and its pretty good actually)

Last edited:
Totally agree. I thought it was a bit boring. Not bad, just not enough there to keep my interest. Not enough freedom, boring combat, little equipment tinkering and the world felt just as cliché, immature and stupid as in oblivion. I believe EE probably made it better though. Might try it sometime.

[...]

(btw playing fallout 3 now and its pretty good actually)

*facepalm*

I bought four ;)

It's good news, but I'm not sure even that's enough to break even. Hopefully it's ok to act as a loss-leader though.

Back
Top Bottom