The Elder Scrolls - Rumor: V is a Direct Sequal

One thing that I really don't like about Bethesda's writing, is that there are way too many "wacky" or downright insane characters for the world they're trying to create.

It kind of fits in the Fallout world, though!

FO3 was still dumbed down, and lacked any kind of real challenge out of the box. Only with the right mods does it realize its potential.

Really? I was really having a hard time with it, mostly because I was always out of ammo. Of course, I didn't play past 15 hours or so in.

It kind of fits in the Fallout world, though!

Actually, not really. Well, I don't think so.

A few lunatics in that kind of world would be a good fit, but to have pretty much 50% of every single character be like that - just doesn't work. Besides, if you're going to make a person insane, at least try to take it seriously - and not make it all a big joke. It's not that I don't appreciate the humor, but the game kinda suggests a more serious tone - and I find that it clashes a lot.

Really? I was really having a hard time with it, mostly because I was always out of ammo. Of course, I didn't play past 15 hours or so in.

But you're a console gamer! ;)

I can't recall that many lunactics in FO3. 50%?? Humorous = lunatic? FO has never been very serious games.

I can't recall that many lunactics in FO3. 50%?? Humorous = lunatic? FO has never been very serious games.

Well, it's not just the characters you encounter - but the writing in the terminals and what not.

People like that Nuka-cola fanatic and the "Wasteland Survival Guide" girl seem to be the norm, rather than the exception.

However, if people experienced that as a "serious" tone - then I guess we differ a lot in what we respond to as serious material.

Then there's the "people of Atom" where everyone is clearly insane.

The "Family" of blooddrinkers, which is handled in a totally hamfisted way - and you can persuade a mass murderer into being "just fine" with two sentences. That kind of thing.

I guess I just don't like the approach to what I consider both interesting and potentially moving subjects. Beth did the same thing with Oblivion, where they flip-flopped between classic heroism/noble deeds and total insanity.

I remember the writing of Fallout being laden with mature humor, but it was a pretty serious game at heart - and most characters you encountered had a link to plausibility.

IReally? I was really having a hard time with it, mostly because I was always out of ammo. Of course, I didn't play past 15 hours or so in.

Odd, I'm a totally inadequate gamer and I found it to be a super-easy game. I did play it on 360 though, perhaps the difficulty is lowered on consoles?

Odd, I'm a totally inadequate gamer and I found it to be a super-easy game. I did play it on 360 though, perhaps the difficulty is lowered on consoles?
It's a complaint I see often, truth be told.

Personally, I think it's one of those things that you just learn to deal with. I found that exploring the school and the supermarket before doing any quests helped quite a bit, as did using melée weapons near the start. Low ammo really only affects the first, maybe 10 levels - After that you slowly begin to drown in it.

I played it in the PC and found it very easy too. Maybe I just didn't find the difficult mobs, I finished it at level 14 so maybe that's why.

You must have ignored pretty much everything but the main quest to have finished it at that level.

Yes, the default "normal" difficulty is way too easy. I play it on "very hard" along with mods that increase the difficulty even further..

That's the thing though: Modders can easily correct the difficulty. That only requires a bit of tweaking. As long as everything else is in place, difficulty is a minor concern.

That obviously goes for TES V too, as long as they balance the way F:NV did by having different monsters in different level ranges instead of simply scaling the monsters so their relative strength is always the same compared to the hero.

I'm betting on the setting and title being Skyrim and set 5-20 years after the events in Oblivion. There will be no Dragon Lord and there might be Blades.

* Title is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
* Set in Skyrim.
* 5-20 years after events in Oblivion.
* No Dragon Lord.
* There will be Blades (referring to the spy guild, not the objects used to kill).

I'll donate €5,- per wrong prediction to this site.

It is apparently set 200 years after Oblivion so it is in time much less conected to I-IV but the story of the past games (as with all previous installments) played a role in setting up this edition's story.

Well, it was more wishfull thinking on my part that it would take place before the Infernal City than anything else. I just don't want Vvardenfell destroyed or that many Argonians have been part of a zombie army. Those two events took place some 50 years after Oblivion and 150 years before Skyrim

I don't accept Dragon Lord as Dovahkiin, but they probably meant that.

Anyone else think the Eurogamer journalist might have sat behind one of Max von Sydow's people? ;)

I-IV were games which tied in with the story and fate of Emperor Uriel Septim VII (I dub it the Septim Tetralogy) and I wonder if we'll get a series of games that tie in with a new dynasty or that they will let loose of that narrative angle.

Seeing as the Blades are back, I think the future installments will always follow whoever is in control of that particular institution. Since the Blades seem to be tied to whoever controls the Elder Scrolls.

Loot is level scaled, and that includes the amount the stuff. Ammo is an issue until level 10 or so even on normal, especially if you are dependent on some rare ammo type such as .44. Using a few different weapons helps somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom