Dragon Age: Inquisition - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
MSN Games has an interview with BioWare who talks about the Frostbite engine, and the terrible ending of the Mass Effect series. So here is a small sample.

"It's changed a lot," Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee told GamesFIX. "One of the most important aspects that's changed is that there's a broader expectation of what gamers want."

It takes only ten minutes with Inquisition to understand Lee's mentality: there's so much to take in for a game set in an open, sprawling game world, and it's clear that BioWare is creating it's most ambitious game yet.

That ambition is fuelled by a game engine - by definition, a game "engine" is a a framework that makes the game run - that has become known by gamers as the engine for first-person shooters. It's the first time "Frostbite", an award-winning technical architecture that allows for truly spectacular virtual environments, has been used for this type of game.

"In order to do something with what we're doing with Inquisition, the scope of it, the depth of it, it wouldn't have been possible on the previous engine," Lee explains. Having multiple open areas that let you explore these different environments and themes, not to mention the destruction that the game experience dictates, just wouldn't have been possible without Frostbite.

"We've spent a bit of time building upon the core Frostbite engine, which was obviously made as a shooter engine, so we've had to build a lot of stuff."
And it seems IGN has confirmed Dragon Age: Inquisition will have also have Multiplayer. It seems the game will allow Co-op play, and be all about the loot.

Cooperative multiplayer is coming to Dragon Age: Inquisition, and the four-player adventure isn’t as close to Mass Effect 3’s online mode as you might expect. Both share qualities, particularly in their economies, but in almost every instance, Inquisition’s levels, characters, and economy are significantly deeper.
More information.

Did I just see this somewhere about this game?
You'll also be able to pay for currency and speed up unlocks that way.
Say what?

Just so you know, I still didn't preorder the game. Not because it's EA, not because my decision not to buy any more Bioware Points, but because I didn't like DA2.
But if they actually turned DA3 into a "free" phonegame, I'll go spend my money elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just overreacting without knowing proper details. Didn't plan to visit Bioware forums these days, maybe I should.

Well, the "pay real money for in-game one" is only for the MP mode and this time they decided for the MP mode not interfering with the SP like in ME3...

So there is no pay to win unlocking items in singleplayer?
If that is so I might still preorder it.
I mean... Can't care less for what they'll do with multiplayer. ;)

Thanks.

Dunno, but your older post nails if we want it:
leg29x8m.jpg

:D

*shakes head* Multiplayer? In DA? Who the hell asked for THAT?

Going by the fiesta on gaming websites and the official DA forums. Lots and lots and lots of very vocal people.

And I don't really get it. If I wants to do co-op dungeons, I load up a MMOs and join a queue, I don't buy a SP game for that.

Going by the fiesta on gaming websites and the official DA forums. Lots and lots and lots of very vocal people.

And I don't really get it. If I wants to do co-op dungeons, I load up a MMOs and join a queue, I don't buy a SP game for that.

That's really bizzare. I mean, I like MMOs. But MMO and RPGs are two entirely different beasts. I don't want the heck ANY other people in *my* Dragon Age game! It's with Sims. I am a huge Sims fan, looking foward to Sims 4, and there was the same debate. "I want Multiplayer wahh waah", and I felt like "NO WAY I dont want fucking people messing around in MY SIMS WORLD!"

Get offa my lawn, whippersnappers!

Regardless of these gimics, the principle issue I'll have with this game is that it will probably require the Origin platform. I like my PC too much to ever inflict that garbage on it. I have fond memories of the 1st Dragon Age, I'll more than likely play that again at some point and pretend it is a newer version. =)

That's really bizzare. I mean, I like MMOs. But MMO and RPGs are two entirely different beasts. I don't want the heck ANY other people in *my* Dragon Age game! It's with Sims. I am a huge Sims fan, looking foward to Sims 4, and there was the same debate. "I want Multiplayer wahh waah", and I felt like "NO WAY I dont want fucking people messing around in MY SIMS WORLD!"

Get offa my lawn, whippersnappers!

Technically, you won't have any other people in your Dragon Age game. The MP is only co-op dungeon mode where you select an enemy type and play one of 12 heroes (pre-created classes/skills loadout). It's a totally different game from the SP one.

Technically, you won't have any other people in your Dragon Age game. The MP is only co-op dungeon mode where you select an enemy type and play one of 12 heroes (pre-created classes/skills loadout). It's a totally different game from the SP one.

The reality is: a company has a limited budget. And showhorning a MP feature into DA means: less goes into the SP part. I just see it as a horrible waste of money and effort.

The MP is only co-op dungeon mode where you select an enemy type and play one of 12 heroes (pre-created classes/skills loadout).
You've just described DOTA/LoL.

I don't know I'll probably play the coop with my sons.

As long as it really doesn't affect the single player I'm fine with it.

They had mp in Baldur's Gate so it eventually was going to happen with something that is supposed to be inspired by Baldur's Gate.

The reality is: a company has a limited budget. And showhorning a MP feature into DA means: less goes into the SP part. I just see it as a horrible waste of money and effort.
Maybe.
Or maybe the MP features increase their revenue more than their development costs, so in theory there would be even more budget for the SP part.

As long as the MP stuff doesn't interfere with my SP gaming, I don't care about it.

Maybe.
Or maybe the MP features increase their revenue more than their development costs, so in theory there would be even more budget for the SP part.

As long as the MP stuff doesn't interfere with my SP gaming, I don't care about it.

Has everyone the "Galactic Readyness" debacle of Mass Effect 3 already forgotten? Must I remind you, that in ME3 you NEEDED to play multiplayer to gather 4000 "points" for the best Ending? Until MONTHS later EA-Bioware patched that away!

This is what I seriously hope is NOT the case, but with EA involved, I say expect the worst.

Has everyone the "Galactic Readyness" debacle of Mass Effect 3 already forgotten? Must I remind you, that in ME3 you NEEDED to play multiplayer to gather 4000 "points" for the best Ending? Until MONTHS later EA-Bioware patched that away!

This is what I seriously hope is NOT the case, but with EA involved, I say expect the worst.

According to PC Gamer, the game will not include the mandatory MP for unlocking single player stuff (like Galactic Readyness). The SP and MP modes are completely separate.

I also read an article earlier that stated that the MP is limited because they didn't want to pull too many resources from the main SP campaign. Unfortunately I can't recall where I read that.

I have no interest in MP in a Dragon Age game, so I plan to sidestep all of it.

This is absolutely not true. The truth is worse.

You don't (didn't) have to touch multiplayer at all and still get the best ending.

First you had to have and use a savegame from ME1&ME2 and not just any save but a save where everyone survived (except one of crewmembers from ME1 which is mandatory loss and cannot be prevented). If you don't do that, at least Tali will die in ME3 which sucks and is not the best ending. Multiplayer can't help you save her.

However, it's still not enough for best of the best. You need war assets and ME3 with only day1 DLC didn't have enough in sigleplayer.
To get enough of war assets, the save from only ME1&2 is not enough. You had to buy and finish all ME1&ME2 DLC except Pinnacle Station (only that one doesn't give war assets).
Yes, pay2win microtransactions were smuggled into a singleplayer game under the name: DLC!

Oh and… If you use search on old bioware forum about this and war assets, you'll find warnings people posted on not to discuss it at all costs - as the reward will be instaban.

Okay, I couldn't post details there, but I did on this forum instead:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061250093#post1061250093

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom