Cyberpunk 2077 - Gamescom Gameplay Video

Looks impressive!
Only again enemies die like a flies - with all that high end tech all around, I expected something more from enemies...

I am not big fan Cyberpunk setting but I am getting into the hype after this video! I really liked how the quest branches and how they are interconnected. Its how it was in W3 as well so looking forward to it.

I just hope, they improve on the loot system from W3.

Looks impressive!
Only again enemies die like a flies - with all that high end tech all around, I expected something more from enemies…

The impression I got was that, they are doing a low level quest using high level character for demo purposes. They mentions that couple of times during the video. So maybe thats reason why some enemies seems weak but I am guess here.

Will need a multi $1000 power-plant to play on max. detail at 60+ fps. Good atmosphere, appears exciting adventure-wise, but I'm unsure, why the heck I should play this, even If I manage to beat the astronomical hardware requirements? Maybe to try out storming that HQ with guns blazing, like an idiot?

Final thought after skimming the video again. This doesn't look like much of an RPG at all, which is disappointing because I thought they were trying to recreate a Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop experience. It looks more like a cross between Deus Ex and GTA V.

If they were really trying to recreate the tabletop experience, combat would be turn-based because tabletop is turn-based. Of course, that probably wouldn't be as marketable as there's still a lot more action gamers than TB tactical game fans, so it is what it is.

But it looks like just as much of an RPG as any real-time "action RPG"; actually more so than a lot of them as there's actually attributes like strength.. If Bethesda was making this game, they'd probably have gotten rid of those :)

It looks more like a cross between Deus Ex and GTA V.
"Augments" and stealth/shooter combo from DX, yes. Overall mediocrity and racing cretinism, no.
So, no. It's not cross between a brilliant game and GTA garbage.

Will need a multi $1000 power-plant to play on max. detail at 60+ fps.
No. It will need currently nonexisting technology to play 60+ FPS on 4K. Who plays games on 4K? Only upscaling addicts.
Not convinced? Check the subtitles size. It assumes you're sitting in front of a monitor, not 7 meters far from TV enjoying touching mushrooms. Of several kind I bet.

Don't think I have ever seen a city in a game look that busy and alive. It felt like a real city from the game play.
I've seen better. Yakuza games for example.
WTF? No.
Yakuza NPCs are either static or are only walking around aimlessly. Sometimes you see someone being ganged, but they're still static.

WGD is right. This scale of town being alive through people presentation is impossible to see anywhere else. Closest one is Watch Dogs 2 where pedestrians are not just lollygagging but are washing cars, chasing one another, smashing stuff, proposing marriage, argue on the street not by just facing each other but animated by mocap, etc. Another also close, but not as much as it's not happening in some close future is AC Origins.

All that aside. I'm impressed with what's shown except what Myrthos already mentioned. Red letters pointers on screen are irritating. But okay, it will probably be possible to turn any UI stuff off just as in TW3.

Something I was very interested in wasn't shown at all (at least I didn't notice) and that's the city map.

All that aside. I'm impressed with what's shown except what Myrthos already mentioned. Red letters pointers on screen are irritating. But okay, it will probably be possible to turn any UI stuff off just as in TW3.
I liked the retinal interface usage, but yeah, nobody needs that much pointers. I know where my jacket is, god damn it!

I just hope we can customize colors of said retinal interface. Pink/red does nothing for me.

I am more with Vurt on the concept of playing myself in the game. While the protagonist being voiced doesn't matter as much to me (I am fine with nothing, just short grunts and sounds for fighting, or fairly full VO; and assuming I don't hate the voice actor of course … as that can really ruin things) I do agree with Vurts thoughts on first person game play in general. I certainly don't play a first person viewed game as someone else. I tend to play more as myself injected into the world.

I tend to use the analogy of an Avatar. My personality/mind/soul becomes that character in the game - the character is my avatar and represents me. I simply find it much more fun and immersive to play with that mindset and I also know its a mindset other gamers enjoy. Everyone enjoys games in their own way of course - I just know from talking to fellow gamers on Nexus and Discord that there are others that share my view point of putting themselves into games they play - usually they put a part of themselves and then adapt to the role they wish to play - or is thrust on them depending on the nature of the game.

So I am V or Shepherd or the Gray Warden or the Dragonborn … reborn in this world and now I have to learn my abilities, gain my skills, and figure out how I will adapt to this world I find myself in. Could also consider it being reincarnated. But I usually don't get that complicated. I just assume I somehow end up reborn in this world and have my avatar to interact with it. Makes it feel much more cool and lets me bond more closely with the game.

I always have a lot of trouble trying to play a character that is not me, that I can't connect to. Sometimes I am lucky, like with Shepherd in ME, in that I liked him a lot and there was just enough flexibility in creating him (looks, bg choice, gender) that I could see myself being me/him in the game.

Could never do that with Geralt which is why I never finished any of the games beyond 20-25 hours (longest was W3 at about 25 hours and I have tried to get into that game 4 times now … still sitting on my PC uncompleted).

If I can't connect to the character than the game just becomes a movie and I would rather then just sit back and watch a movie. For me games are about escaping to another world that I find myself in.

The more a game lets me do that the more I will like it - hence why I am such a fan of many Bethesda games or games like Pillars, NWN, or the old BG series.

So far V seems like someone who is somewhat of a blank slate. Another player in the big city trying to find their way and earn a living, maybe make a name for themselves based on what I have read/seen so far. You have options to work on their personality, back ground, and choices. Hence making it feel more like actually being V yourself (if that is how you prefer to play). I Know if I get this game I will play me, WGD, in the game. My avatar is named V and I was reborn in this world as V and now I must decide how I will approach it, what I will do, etc.

I always tend to find it odd when other people feel the need to dictate, judge, or otherwise push their own style of gaming onto others as the only "valid or real" way to play a game. Everyone has their own style and how they approach playing games, as well as what they look for in a game.

Apologies on the wall of text but thought I would explain the view point of someone who always puts themselves into games … and I have been playing "myself" in games ever since I played the first Pools of Radiance RPG.

The impression I got was that, they are doing a low level quest using high level character for demo purposes. They mentions that couple of times during the video. So maybe thats reason why some enemies seems weak but I am guess here.

V was level 2, the enemies were level 2 and 3. The only thing they did is unlock stuff you should get at higher level like the tech/smart weapons and the mantis blade toward the end of the demo. You can also see V use a inhaler to heal up a few times.

Also, the enemies are technically too durable. Combat is supposed to be deadly, it shouldn't take 10+ bullets in the chest/head from a pistol to kill someone which is what most trash enemies requires in the demo unless you use the shotgun. Kinda weird it takes so much bullets considering their "gun expert" is an ex-Counter-Strike pro too.

They seem to have copied the TW3 combat and gear systems but with guns (the pnp has no character, gear or enemy level concept, only skill level). That probably means we are going to find level 50 pistols that deals 200 damage per bullets instead of 10 for a level 1 pistol later in the game. I'm not sure what to think of that, I didn't find TW3 itemization that great.

Speaking of voice-over, I'm 100% certain the actress playing female V is the same who did Ciri. Same timbre.

And I wonder if Mike Pondsmith isn't the one playing Dex DeShawn.

What's missing from the PnP game that would make it a better crpg in your opinion? Not everything in a PnP RPG translates well to a video game.

They could have made everything rely on dice rolls like CP 2020, but I think they made the right choice in not doing that. We'd basically have a cyberpunk version of the combat in Morrowind, and that's not something I'd want to experience…ever.

Instead, the combat is fast-paced and visceral, and because of that, some people think it looks too "actiony". I think it looks like something I actually want to play. :)

Remember Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Shadowrun...
It translated very well :p

In fact, fast paced and visceral means in this case the result will depend upon the player dexterity instead of the character stats & skills.

We’ll see to what extend...

CDPR had an investor call today where they said to expect the game to release next year indirectly. They said to expect a similar timeframe to TW3 between their big demo reveal (at E3 2014) and its release (in May 2015). They also said that Cyberpunk 2077 development is going faster than TW3 was.

Speaking of voice-over, I'm 100% certain the actress playing female V is the same who did Ciri. Same timbre.

And I wonder if Mike Pondsmith isn't the one playing Dex DeShawn.

female V sound nothing like Jo Berry (Ciri voice actress, also Hawke in DA2, Imperial Agent in SWTOR and a bunch of NPCs in SWTOR/ME3), she sound like Cherami Leigh.

Dex DeShawn sound like Erik Dellums, who has a smooth voice like Mike Pondsmith.

In fact, fast paced and visceral means in this case the result will depend upon the player dexterity instead of the character stats & skills.

It should depend on both, if the developers know what they are doing. And that's usually scalable between the two extremes.

female V sound nothing like Jo Berry (Ciri voice actress
They can't use Ciri actress because V is not Ciri. Ciri will make cameo appearance in CP2077 one way or another. Yes, CDpr said no plans for such thing, but cmon.

Will need a multi $1000 power-plant to play on max. detail at 60+ fps. Good atmosphere, appears exciting adventure-wise, but I'm unsure, why the heck I should play this, even If I manage to beat the astronomical hardware requirements?

A used PS4 is as cheap as a decent graphics card for a PC.. no $1000 hardware needed at all unless you're like me, a total graphics and hardware enthusiast, but then you only have yourself to blame really ;) That kind of money is absolutely not needed to enjoy games.

..and don't get me started on "but i need a mouse to enjoy games", you don't.

female V sound nothing like Jo Berry (Ciri voice actress, also Hawke in DA2, Imperial Agent in SWTOR and a bunch of NPCs in SWTOR/ME3)
She totaly does! We'll see :p

Dex DeShawn sound like Erik Dellums, who has a smooth voice like Mike Pondsmith.
It may be, but I can totally imagine CDP giving the role to Pondsmith, for the vertical slice only, knowing how he involved himself into the project.

What I found odd in the video were slow head/camera movements. Probably intended to produce a better video, but it does not really look that natural.

Otherwise it looks awesome.

What I found odd in the video were slow head/camera movements. Probably intended to produce a better video, but it does not really look that natural.

Otherwise it looks awesome.
I don't know about that. I was in the front row, looking at a big screen and after a while I felt a bit of motion sickness :)

I don't know about that. I was in the front row, looking at a big screen and after a while I felt a bit of motion sickness :)

The motion sickness is probably because of the motion blur when the camera is moved. I get it just watching the video in full screen.

Back
Top Bottom