RPGWatch Feature - Game of the Decade 2010-2019

Pokes @lackblogger;. You're too serious, you should smile more,

That's just you saying that though, I'm not actually angry nor frowning, you just perceive that because the written word is flawed. If we were in live conversation things like facial expressions would be more prevalent.

For the purposes of this thread imagine me more like:

man_thinking+visualize.jpg

Than:

shutterstock_536355550.jpg

Unless, of course, the painting of me as being a mean'ol whatsit is somehow important to the narrative? :D

Conquistador for sure would be on my list as well, I really liked that game.

Thanks for the kind words. Re: this quote snippet, you did vote and it wasn't. Not sure if you just had a wording fail there?

Thanks for the kind words. Re: this quote snippet, you did vote and it wasn't. Not sure if you just had a wording fail there?

No word fail, just different voting methods. I only voted for the games I thought should win "game of the decade". So I voted for Witcher 3 with a couple honorable mentions. I did not l vote for my top 20-50 list.

However, the results came out as top 50. So I didn't vote for conquistadors to win game of the decade because while good its wasn't quite in that category. It would however make my personal top 20, maybe even top 10

No word fail, just different voting methods. I only voted for the games I thought should win "game of the decade". So I voted for Witcher 3 with a couple honorable mentions. I did not l vote for my top 20-50 list.

However, the results came out as top 50. So I didn't vote for conquistadors to win game of the decade because while good its wasn't quite in that category. It would however make my personal top 20, maybe even top 10

Yes, that seemed to be a very common personal decision made by a number of voters, to really big-up 1-3 specific games rather than just provide a list of games they particularly enjoyed.

I'm not entirely sure why this happened for these people nor how you classify GOTD worthy games as being somehow significantly more worthy than "I really enjoyed that one" :D Only games that made you physically orgasm perhaps? :D

The vast majority of people just sent a list, either top 10 or 20 or a list of games they particularly enjoyed.

I mean, if you particularly enjoyed a game why would you not like it being no.1? Or be offended if it was? That's a very fine line that I'm not sure I personally can conceptualise.

From a historical perspective, the annual Game of the Year at RPGWatch asks that you vote for 3 games and we are then provided with a top 10, wouldn't it be obvious that a game of the decade vote would be a process of voting for 10x that with a 10x resulting list?

To which voting for even just 10 games for a resulting list of 50 is already a greatly shortened process than normal.

But I'm guessing that also by historical perspective maybe people assumed they'd just be voting for 3 games with a resultant top 10 as if it was a Game of the Year poll? I dunno, I thought the instructions tried to do their best to say it wasn't going to be like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In what universe would you think an Expeditions game would even get no.1 anyway? :D

@lackblogger;, I want to say big thanks for this whole process. It was a great effort and I'm really happy to see so many great games mentioned. I've played quite many of the games mentioned on that list.

And of those I have not played.. I obviously need to take a closer look on Pathfinder, Lords of Xulima, Dark Souls, Battle Brothers and Disco Elysium.

Btw really glad to see that Pathfinder and Pilars of eternity games did so well. And people say that rtwp ain't popular!:)

Lastly: I'm really enjoying the afterparty. :D

I have to say this is a very solid list right there.

As someone who voted only for TW3, my take on the whole "how can you vote for a single game" question:

This singular vote doesn't express that I enjoyed the game to an extent that all other games became insignificant. Rather, my vote expresses my certainty in determining the answer to the query "what is the best game of the decade?".

In other words, I fully agree that there are plenty of other great games. But I have no doubts at all about which I consider best.

Nice list, I like the format. Thanks lackblogger for all the work you put into it.

I've only played 13 of those games, but there are at least 15+ games on the list that are on my backlog list. But I'm a slow player and there are new games coming out every year, so I'll probably never make it to some of them :(

I only voted for games I liked. I would never vote for a game I thought should be GOTD. That makes no sense to me. I don't care about a game if I it isn't one I enjoyed.

Best game to me is the one I liked best. Not to mention it seems rather inaccurate to assume what others think is the best game. Simply meaning the only game I have any authority in stating its the best is for my own personal classification.

EDIT: Clarifying that if this was some official judging situation based on a clear set of measurements and evaluation criteria then of course makes sense to vote for the game that best meets those qualifications versus a personal favorite.

What I meant, but said poorly, is I thought this was all about ones personal favorite versus an objective judging of games.

Last edited:
What I meant, but said poorly, is I thought this was all about ones personal favorite versus an objective judging of games.

I'm not quite sure that anyone has implied there has been any objectivity in anyone's voting or post-vote discussion, and since you haven't quoted anyone I suspect no-one knows who you're talking to nor who's point you're addressing?

If indeed you were even talking to anyone or replying to anything as opposed to just saying something you needed to say generally?

Here's the stats on how many games were mentioned by each voter:

11 - 1 game
3 - 2 games
8 - 3 games
1 - 4 games
6 - 5 games
5 - 6 games
3 - 7 games
1 - 8 games
4 - 9 games
17 - 10 games
3 - 11 games
2 - 12 games
3 - 13 games
2 - 15 games
1 - 16 games
2 - 17 games
2 - 18 games
1 - 19 games
2 - 20 games
1 - 21 games
2 - 22 games
1 - 23 games
1 - 24 games
1 - 25 games
2 - 29 games
2 - 30 games
1 - 65 games

So exactly one quarter of voters provided only 1-3 games.

But about one fifth of voters provided exactly 10 games.

Just under half the voters provided less than 10 games and slightly above half of voters gave 10+ games.

All the numbers of games from 1-25 are accounted for… except for the number 14… dun-dun-dah! What secret significance does the number 14 hold? Perhaps Pibbur could investigate?

Of the low number of games voters the numbers 2 and 4 are allergic numbers whereas the numbers 1, 3 and 5 somehow make more sense to them.

Of the voters that only voted for one game, the breakdown of that contribution was:

5 - Witcher 3
2 - Pathfinder Kingmaker
2 - Skyrim
1 - Pillars 2
1 - M&M X

The person who voted for 65 games was pretty much a troll as their list included loads of games going all the way back to the year 2000, but it was mostly just adding one vote to all the games anyway so didn't really effect much by it's inclusion, and, who knows, maybe they spent all this decade on catching up on the last decade as well and felt it their right to vote for all of last decades games as well in a sincere way.

The person who voted for 65 games was pretty much a troll as their list included loads of games going all the way back to the year 2000, but it was mostly just adding one vote to all the games anyway so didn't really effect much by it's inclusion, and, who knows, maybe they spent all this decade on catching up on the last decade as well and felt it their right to vote for all of last decades games as well in a sincere way.

So is it the same guy who voted Dragon age 2 and Grimoire? :lol:

Lol, amazingly no, even he didn't mention those 2 :D

I forgot to vote sorry, real life got busy. I'm not sure how to rank the rpgs of the last decade and was mulling it over when I noticed the voting was closed. Looking at the list through I agree with a lot of the placings with one quibble, Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be higher. I guess not enough people played it but it really pulls you into its world.
@lackblogger;
Those pictures you posted are reminding me a lot of Baldur's Gate portraits.

I'm not quite sure that anyone has implied there has been any objectivity in anyone's voting or post-vote discussion, and since you haven't quoted anyone I suspect no-one knows who you're talking to nor who's point you're addressing?

If indeed you were even talking to anyone or replying to anything as opposed to just saying something you needed to say generally?

I was rambling insanely, a habit I might have caught from Joxer ... it has been a long day, a very long day at work.

Anyhow I didn't really want to pick anyone out but what Xenocide stated made me wonder if maybe other people were voting for what they thought should be best versus what they thought was best for them.

I probably shouldn't have posted but I find if I second guess myself too much on whether I should post I end up never posting at all and become just a lurker.

Edit My original post in the voting thread:

My ten selections in order of my fun
so the first one is 10 points the seconde one 9 p etc or everyone is just one point count as you want

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Alpha Protocol
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Age of Decadenc
Fallout: New Vegas
Lords of Xulima
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Elex
Might & Magic X: Legacy

I would also like to make the not very risky forecast that witcher 3 will win the GoD prize which it probably deserves

sent as a pm as well

Last edited:
Sorry for quoting myself there I would just like to ask how you weigthed the different list if as I said above I wanted to give differrent points to every game

I forgot to vote sorry, real life got busy. I'm not sure how to rank the rpgs of the last decade and was mulling it over when I noticed the voting was closed. Looking at the list through I agree with a lot of the placings with one quibble, Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be higher. I guess not enough people played it but it really pulls you into its world.
@lackblogger;
Those pictures you posted are reminding me a lot of Baldur's Gate portraits.

And as I´m playing KcD at the moment and am a history buff it would probably have made my list but alas I´m always about one two years behind everyone due to hardware limitations

Anyhow I didn't really want to pick anyone out but what Xenocide stated made me wonder if maybe other people were voting for what they thought should be best versus what they thought was best for them.

I didn't try to come up with some objective system and then pick games I though met that criteria for game of the decade. (I mean, good god I prob would have had to add skyrim to my vote in that case! The horor!! :D Even if I didn't like it that much, for most people it is clearly one of the best of the decade, even I agree with that ).

I voted for my personal best games of the decade and I would suspect most other people who voted for a small number of games like I did voted the same way.

For me personally, Witcher 3 was easily my favorite game of the decade and therefore "the best" in my mind.

My honorable mentions were:

Elex
Divinity Original Sin 2
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Obviously there were lots more games I liked, some quite a bit. But for me these 5 games were simply on another level compared to the rest.

Now, just looking at how things turned out, say for example I voted for Dragon Age: Inquisition and Drakensang: The River of Time as well. Those extra votes could have bumped Elex down and spot and I would not want that to happen.

I get why people voted for a big list. I almost re-voted with a bigger list a couple times near the end. But I'm happy with how I voted.

Back
Top Bottom