help installing my wireless router

Remus

Antihero
I was able to setup my broadband connection in office; and since i also want to use wireless internet connection in my room, i bought the D-Link 300 wireless router plus wireless USB adapter. When setup the wireless router, i followed the CD installation guide and at the stage of restarting network, it gave me "error:109 internal error". What the heck is that?

PS: i use WinXP service pack 2.

Didn't know you had to install stuff to get your wireless network running. Sounds like a bunch of D-link crap to me (you'll most likely windup with some SW you never use)
WinXP SP2 gives you already the ability to have a wireless connection (and so do many OS these days). First rule when setting up your configuration is to ensure you have everything (like a wireless networkcard (I'm sure you have one on your pc, but you would be suprised how many people have to buy that extra transmitter thingie afterwards)
Second rule is that you connect to the wireless router with a cable. Then surf to the homepage of your router: ipconfig /all at a command prompt will give you the default gateway and that's the ip you need for that homepage.
Set the settings like you want them to be (WEP or WPA security, MAC filtering and some other options are at your disposal) and then do the same thing on your pc -> Get your wireless connection props and fill in what needs to be filled in.
If you get in trouble with the security settings simply turn them all off. The network will be insecure and someone can now tap in, but you will need to see at which step your d-link router fails: elimination proces is still the best way.
Don't forget that you needs at least some security and that WEP security doesn't suffice. (the other ones can be hacked to, but if you have really important data you just don't buy these kind of routers.

wireless networkcard? if you meant Wireless PCI/USB adapter, then yes i had it installed on another desktop (just plug-in and that PC will receive internet connection if my Wireless router work/successfully installed, right?)

Okay on to router problem; I have ADSL Modem labeled 2/2+ which means it is modem with build-in router right? And i also have Wireless router (with no modem build-in). So If i understand correctly i only need to setup connections like this:

*Internet --->modem---->wireless router---->Office PC

*My PC (with wireless USB adapter)

Anything wrong?

There's not enough information to go on. It sounds like something specific to the Router. You might want to check the internet or DLink themselves.

Keep in mind this: those Wireless NICs (Network Interface Cards) almost always need to have their drivers installed first precisely to prevent the built in XP Wireless drivers from taking precedent. If you don't you could be screwed but it sounds like it was already installed.

I would recommend against anything DLink but its too late for that. I had a DLink and it turned out they replaced the old plastic cover on the model with a metal one. It seems it heated up so bad it would melt the case. I used to burn myself on the metal version of it.

That said plugging it in and turning it doesn't always just work. You will want encryption if you don't want to give internet access to your whole neighbourhood or some joker in his car with a laptop. You'll want to change your default router password and ESSID too if you don't want that same joker breaking into it, putting his own password on it then forcing the DNS to link you to his spam site.

I'd recommend WPA when you get it.

Question: that Wireless NIC on the PC, was that already installed and working on another Wireless network?

Question 2: Are you able to connect to the Router via cable?

Okay today a business software technician came to my office to install a software, so on the way i asked him to help setup my wireless connection.

Apparently there's no need to use the D-link CD (D-link put on a big sticker on the router to ask me to use it!). The guy just make some corrections on my LAN IP address (set the last digit to 2 as my router already take up the "1") and add-in the DNS address and voila, the internet connection was on.

Thanks for your guys patience and advices anyway!.:):thumbsup:

Ops..., one more thing. How i gonna disable the office pcs individually (specific pcs) from internet access to prevent employees from using internet during work (except the boss's pc of course). what options i got?

Last edited:
Ops..., one more thing. How i gonna disable the office pcs individually (specific pcs) from internet access to prevent employees from using internet during work (except the boss's pc of course). what options i got?

My first reaction to that is "don't" -- it's not been shown to improve productivity, and it will have a negative effect on morale. It will also certainly make it more difficult for them to do their jobs -- if they have a job that involves using a computer, chances are they will need the Net for some of it.

However, the simple answer to your question is "unplug the network cable" (or "disable the WLAN card.")

If you have a corporate network they need to use, you really should have some kind of system administration in place; the admin should then be able to block access by selected computers to the extent it's necessary.

If you don't have an admin who can do that, hire one, 'cuz your network is almost certainly wide-open to intrusion, and your computers have already been taken over by worms and are busily spamming the Net with junk mail.

If you don't have an admin who can do that, hire one, 'cuz your network is almost certainly wide-open to intrusion, and your computers have already been taken over by worms and are busily spamming the Net with junk mail.

That's true. When you don't have the 'power', go to one that has. If there's a windows 2003 server he will use the gp (global policy) editor. In here you can also dissalow the run rommand and the command prompt (sometimes the evil comes from within yor network)

Actually, ours network is just small LAN with stock control software without the need for internet access for employees to finish the task; however, currently my boss occassionally use it for emailing and other miscellaneous purposes. Also, the network is still new and have no good firewall and anti virus software for protection (AVG free version!...lol....)

And yeah if i pulled out the cable connecting the wireless router with network hub the internet connection will be disconnected. The LAN network not affected.

First off, install that firewall, pronto. A perfectly decent hardware firewall costs a few tens of bucks. In fact, are you quite sure you don't already have one? I would expect that your network hub has one -- that's the box with the ports that your LAN machines plug into and the port where the WAN (Internet) cable goes.

If so, you should be able to configure the box to restrict WAN access to any individual computers. You'll have to assign them hard-coded IP numbers (instead of letting DHCP do the assigning) and then create the settings there.

BTW, you're not allowed to use AVG Free in a corporate environment. If somebody working for AVG happened across your message (or just liked to snitch) they could bust you to your local anti-piracy group, which would not be pretty. So upgrade those licenses first. (Nothing wrong with AVG, btw -- it's a perfectly workable anti-virus kit.)

Finally, do make sure your WLAN is properly protected too, otherwise someone can waltz right into your intranet.

Now that you mention it i think my router or network hub have build-in firewall.., i saw something along the lines about firewall on the hardwares boxes (threw away days ago). And yep the wireless network has been assigned specific name and password. What anti virus software you would suggest (most effective) currently on the market?

In terms of effectiveness, all of the "brand-name" ones are good enough. We use F-Secure at the office; I use AVG at home. F-Secure has better central management, but gums up some workstations at times. If you want something you can basically install and forget, AVG Professional is a good choice.

One thing you need to avoid is symmantec: no regular updates and it clutters up your pc resources. In a big compagny, they achieve a slightely better performance. We use it a work, but I can say that you'll never see it again on my pc. Also because I have an unlimited version of McAfee.

to give your office PC's LAN access but keep them off the internet just make sure the Router IP is not in the gateway (I know , I know, you have Dells not Gateways. I mean the network gateway, not the brand). And then they can be like my office was, lining up behind the one PC to get drivers.

I believe my DLink had a firewall you couldn't turn off. Its why I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom