What games are you playing now?

Sims medieval is cool, especially after the latest patches.

I actually busted out the original Xbox and am playing Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.
Great old action rpg a la Gauntlet. Just unlocked the secret Medusa character. I can play this game for days!

Thinking about playing KOTOR2 next, its still in the wrapper, bought it but never played it. Going way back into my backlog, going to start at the oldest and work my way forward. Starting at Xbox, i have a lot to do, never played Kotor2, demon stone, or completed Fable. Also have Ninja Gaiden and a couple other action titles i felt i never got my moneys worth.

Also contempleting a playthru of the original resident evil, i fired up the ol Playstation and it works...

Thinking about playing KOTOR2 next, its still in the wrapper, bought it but never played it.
O_O

Uninstall everything, install KoToR2. Now. Please.

I'm all burned out.

I gave Divinity 2 an hour and was annoyed by how far the camera was. I gave Risen 2 less than that and was annoyed by the combat and the lack of a proper tutorial. Seems NWN2 used up all the patience I had and I can't take anything less streamlined than Angry Birds.

I'm still dedicated on working on my backlog. I just think I need something radically different. Out of the games I'm willing to play (holding off all 2D classics or humongous open world RPGs till fall) there's a mix of sci-fi and light-to-no-RPG-elements games. Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex1, latest Hitman, and Dishonored or Metro Last light which I both expect to be expensive.

I gave Divinity 2 an hour and was annoyed by how far the camera was. I gave Risen 2 less than that and was annoyed by the combat and the lack of a proper tutorial.

I've played through both, and they're very good games. You can adjust the camera distance in Divinity 2 with your mouse, but it's not the standard mouse-wheel zoom. It's annoying at first, but I got used to it quickly. Fantastic soundtrack and lots of humorous easter eggs in that game.

Risen 2 is underrated imo, and it's a great game if you're in the mood for the pirate theme and tropical setting. There's very little hand-holding, and it's not an easy game in the early going.

But yeah… it sounds like you're just burned out on RPGs at the moment.

I'm still dedicated on working on my backlog. I just think I need something radically different. Out of the games I'm willing to play (holding off all 2D classics or humongous open world RPGs till fall) there's a mix of sci-fi and light-to-no-RPG-elements games. Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex1, latest Hitman, and Dishonored or Metro Last light which I both expect to be expensive.

You've never played the original Deus Ex? I'd say play that before any of the other games you mention. Get the New Vision mod to update the textures.

I've played through all those games except for Alpha Protocol. If you're looking for something that's not going to eat too much time, then I recommend both Dishonored and Last Light. I assume you've already played Metro 2033? If not, then play that prior to Last Light.

I found Alpha Protocol to be much better than its reputation lead me to believe. Not a fan of the mouse and keyboard controls for hacking, reminds me of an Avellone interview where he discussed the advantage of PC only being controls not having to "work" for multiple platforms. Felt like it was obviously designed around console controller dual joysticks to me. It's on the short side but your decisions throughout the game absolutely have some degree of impact on the story. The leveling system and combat is nothing special (stealth is almost always an option too), though I did like the perks gained from decisions/intel gathering.

Within the last 2 weeks I beat: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Sleeping Dogs, and Gunpoint. Knocked out the vanilla SR:R campaign and have poked around a lot in Reus (worth a look if you're into the genre imo).

Kind of trying to figure out what I want to commit to next. Have tried some Terraria, Inquisitor, Kenshi, Prison Architect, StarDrive and Endless Space but none of them, except Endless, really grabbed me for more than a few hours.

Will probably test out Mount & Blade, Bastion, and Eschalon in the near future.

Cheers for the link, JDR. Finding out which mods to use for old games is usually the biggest PITA. Hope this will be better balanced than DE:HR and will generally make more of an impression on me.

Have spent a good number of hours modding Skyrim to my satisfaction - and it seems I'm about ready to stop adding stuff and start playing.

However, it will probably be a few weeks until I've got the time to delve into it, proper.

I've been playing a bit of co-op Dungeon Siege 3 - and it's good old-fashioned hack and slash fun, though it's actually a bit too story heavy for the co-op experience. But it's got a nice atmosphere.

Tried getting into Guild Wars 2 again - but I still can't wrap my head around the lack of meaningful goals. I'm just no good at randomly picking stuff to do. Funny thing is that I love doing that in Skyrim - but that's because I know there are tangible goals whenever I want them - and everything I go exploring has something interesting about it, even if it's not much.

Last edited:
Have you got Live Another Life, Dart? It's quite nice being able to skip the intro and get around the "now, how does this character end up getting caught crossing the border?" question.

Have you got Live Another Life, Dart? It's quite nice being able to skip the intro and get around the "now, how does this character end up getting caught crossing the border?" question.

Yup, I couldn't play without that mod. The intro sequence is nice and all, but after 10 times - it starts wearing on you :)

"Who... are you?" *twitch*

It can add a bit of extra starting fun if you pick the right one.. I can't remember which start it was, but once I almost immediately bumped into a frost troll and began my career as a badass warrior with my best Rincewind impression.

"Ohshitohshitohshit I'm gonna die!"

"Who… are you?" *twitch*

It can add a bit of extra starting fun if you pick the right one.. I can't remember which start it was, but once I almost immediately bumped into a frost troll and began my career as a badass warrior with my best Rincewind impression.

"Ohshitohshitohshit I'm gonna die!"

I always start as a member of the Dark Brotherhood. I'm a huge fan of the stealth/archer path - and it's the perfect way to get started.

I use Skyrim Redone and I play on Expert. I use Deadly Dragons mod as well.

Archery/Stealth is still a very powerful path - but I'm not sure how to balance it better.

I've just started a social stealth archer, backed up with illusion and conjuration, based on the vampire start. Normally I'm not a fan of vampire stuff, but I liked the idea of someone waking up in a cave after being trapped in a coffin for years as an excuse for not knowing what's happened since Oblivion.

Oh yeah, that's in between bouts of Kings Bounty: Armored Princess, which I've been criminally ignoring for too long.

I'm trying to figure out what to play next after realizing it won't be the Blade of Destiny remake. :-/

I messed around with Baldur's Gate EE for a bit this morning. I wanted to be reminded what a real RPG felt like after playing Shadowrun Returns. ;)

It was nice to see that all of the bugs I noticed at release have been fixed. I hope Beamdog gets their shit straightened out with Atari soon because I really want to see the things they listed for their next patch.

I also played Rise of the Triad for awhile. I'm glad I didn't pay much for that game because it's nothing like what I thought it would be. I guess I didn't really know what to expect though as I had never played the original.

It might be the "gamiest" first-person shooter I've ever played. Jumping on and off moving platforms to collect giant floating coins is not my idea of a good time. It's also a very poorly optimized game, and the mouse aiming is beyond terrible.

I might go back to Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, and Batman: Arkham Asylum is also calling my name…

Playing Rise of the Triad, and it's pretty much the same as the original (so far - am into Episode 2 right now). Okay, I cannot destroy lamps and coins, but the enemies, power-ups (God Mode, Dog Mode, Shrooms Mode ...) , sounds, music ... are either exactly the same or at least the same in spirit. And the levels. At least partially. Meals can be 'cooked' by rocket launchers as in the original, and I'm really lookin forward to meeting the first incarnation of El Oscuro ... I wonder if they recreated him as faithfully. Still remember how long it took me to figure out how to defeat him back then *gg*. So far I'm happy that I thought of buying this one - I'm absolutely not disappointed because it's a very faithful recreation of the original.

Somehow I had expected something similarly faithful when they first mentioned the Doom reboot (Doom 3) back then. Then Doom 3 came, which was a completely different game with a completely different atmosphere, and I was sorely disappointed. Might have been a nice game in itself, but for me it didn't capture the Doom atmosphere at all.

I played some of it as well, and it is fun ... but I played the original when it released again (GoG I think?) a couple of years back. Still weird to be doing super-mario coin jumps followed by bloody head shots and people begging for mercy ...

Somehow I had expected something similarly faithful when they first mentioned the Doom reboot (Doom 3) back then. Then Doom 3 came, which was a completely different game with a completely different atmosphere, and I was sorely disappointed. Might have been a nice game in itself, but for me it didn't capture the Doom atmosphere at all.

Very true. I'd love for them to do a remake, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

You guys know about JDoom, right? It's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a remake of Doom 1&2. Imo, it's actually better than a remake because nothing is changed besides the graphics and sounds. It also includes optional mouse-look and jump funtions.

If you haven't seen it yet —> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV7-bh0VVLg

The engine is also compatible with Heretic and Hexen.

JHeretic —> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tECID3jlsa4

Back
Top Bottom