Frayed Knights - Released and Available For Download

If I play the demo, can I transfer my progressto the real game when I buy it?

Yes to all but the artistic direction side of things. Although there's part of that too. I wanted to make sure older computers (up to 5 years old) could play the game, first off. And the engine is… well, it's a frankenengine build upon 10-year old technology. [...]

Thanks for your answers. Very interesting! I've always been interested in game engines and game development, although I have never done any game development myself (just other things). I had the same questions when they did the Lazarus Ultima remake in the Dungeon Siege engine. (Why not just go and make it prettier if you can? Not talking Gears of War 3 here...)

As for the game itself, I played the tech demo and the graphics have improved a lot, I think. I can't really handle Good Old Games like Might & Magic-level any longer, unfortunately, but this seems to be enough for me. Plus the funny dialogue doesn't need shiny graphics. :)

Thank to Jay, I handle the download problem. I tried the game, but couldn't play much, my sleepy eyes didn't allow me I'm afraid :). Anyway I just want to ask a question. Is there really a difference between OpenGL and Direct3d mode? Because I couldn't find any, opposite to the message that claims so. Just curious.

I plan on downloading the demo and giving it a try after I get bored/finish Two Worlds 2. I bought the expansion and decided to start over instead of transferring my level 42 character from March.

I'm having a lot of glitches on my machine where the mouse cursor disapears for awhile battle or it freezes up and looks like it has completely crashed but I eventually find a way to get it moving again. The wierdest bug by far though was when I was loading a saved game and it would only load while my mouse was moving. When the mouse stopped the loading came to a dead halt.

Despite all the bugs though I'm still enjoying the parts that work.

If I play the demo, can I transfer my progressto the real game when I buy it?

Yes you can.
I'd say your problems are machine based, not game based. I played several of the betas as well as Release Candidates and never saw any such problems on 2 different PC's.

I'm having a lot of glitches on my machine where the mouse cursor disapears for awhile battle or it freezes up and looks like it has completely crashed but I eventually find a way to get it moving again. The wierdest bug by far though was when I was loading a saved game and it would only load while my mouse was moving. When the mouse stopped the loading came to a dead halt.

Ummm.... wow. We've had some issues with funky drivers and (in my own case) bad memory chips before, but this is pretty unique. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. I'd suggest trying to run with a fresh reboot with as little running in the background as possible... it sounds like something else is interfering with Frayed Knights. Frayed Knights goes into uber-low-priority, dog-slow mode when it's lost focus, and maybe there's something wierd going on that's fighting for focus?

I'm stabbing in the dark here, but that would be my first suggestion, and then we'll see if that helps at all.

I had been following this game for over three years. One of the things I really enjoyed was hearing first hand from Jay his thoughts regarding the development process here and on his own blog. I don't think I have ever had such a "behind the scenes" look during a game's creation, and I think it is going to make me appreciate it even more.

I downloaded the demo to make sure everything was working properly then promptly got the full version. I am right in the middle of another game right now, so not sure if I am going to drop that, but I am sure it won't be long before I give this one a playthrough.

Ummm…. wow. We've had some issues with funky drivers and (in my own case) bad memory chips before, but this is pretty unique. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. I'd suggest trying to run with a fresh reboot with as little running in the background as possible… it sounds like something else is interfering with Frayed Knights. Frayed Knights goes into uber-low-priority, dog-slow mode when it's lost focus, and maybe there's something wierd going on that's fighting for focus?

I'm stabbing in the dark here, but that would be my first suggestion, and then we'll see if that helps at all.

I do get a high CPU usage warning sometimes and because it's running in windowed mode and I have a large monitor there are times when the mouse cursor leaves the frayed knights window and goes to the desktop which may cause the game to lose focus. The lost focus thing does sound like the most reasonable explanation although I don't have anything running in the background. I'll try running it after a completely fresh reboot next time. It's probably an unusual interaction with my computer but I don't think I'm having machine problems....everything else runs fine.

The good news is that it's still playable, just occasionally wierd.

Much better controls than the first demo so thanks for that. Anyway will try to actually play later in the week.

Did have issues with fonts but posted that on the official forum. Also definitely do not try the D3D option and listen to the warnings I almost couldn't undo it once I turned it on (to see if it fixed my font issues).

I bought the game (no problems downloading immediately on payment with BMT with an ISP email address) ran it on my Windows 7 box and ran into this problem. In fact it was pretty much unplayable after the first few steps. The solution that worked for me was to right-click the game icon, go to the compatibility tab, and select Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition. (I didn't have time to test to see which of these actually worked.) Ran without issue during the short test I gave it afterwards. I'm assuming if you are running Windows Vista, the same fix should work. On my Windows XP box (considerably less powerful, about 5 yrs old, nVidia 7900GTX card) it ran smooth as silk with no messing about in a window and fullscreen, which indicates to me the issue lies with Windows 7 doing funky stuff with the desktop. Hope this helps.

Good luck with the game, Jay. Can't wait to explore it further.

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up, Foreigner. We tested it under Windows 7, but I don't know that we ever tested with Visual Themes & Desktop Composition. I should add that to the FAQ!

The game sounds incredible. im getting it this weekend. Wish they had a boxed copy, would get the hint book to if it was physical.

I am playing under Windows 7 and don't have any problems but I always install all games into either c:\games, d:\games, or n:\games and applications into similar because of problems it causes putting it into program files.

Bought it, love it (Sleep? Bah!) but have a bug and a couple suggestions:

Bug: sometimes in combat the keyboard mapping changes to that for travel. And then when combat is done (I can still do things mouse only), the key mapping changes back to combat mapping, leaving me quite stuck as I use keyboard as much as possible. (Might be related to alt-tabbing or opening journal, haven't tested extensively. Using windows 7.)

Keyboard: I like hotkeys, and in this game you can almost do combat with keyboard only. But the moment you want to cast a spell on a party member or use a active feat, you must use the mouse. This slows things down immensely compared to keyboard only (and has my right hand constantly moving back and forth between enter and the mouse). Please, please make it possible to select party members and special abilities with keyboard.

Feats, actual numbers: A lot of the feats have textual descriptions only, leaving the player guessing as to what their actual, numeric, effect is. So far I'm leveling up without spending points just so I can eventually do a lot of experimentation with save - try a feat combination - reload. (For example it looks like Fade gives a substantial magic defense bonus, which isn't mentioned at all.)

And the bane of the optimizer: There are ability increase(s?) that only work if you have less than 10 in an ability (probably because the point cost then doubles). So if you want to make the most of your character (you only get 17 free points from leveling), you need to NOT increase their best abilities on the chance that there might be another way to increase it later. I hate wasting points. Or waiting for a spoiler/walkthrough on what abilities that can be increased and how/where.

Weron.

There are very few ability increases outside of leveling and certainly ONE of the party can use it. Having played through 3 times, I can pretty much give you advice about anything you care to ask and not only is Jay a regular visitor to these forums, but he is so gracious and helpful that whenever anyone posts a problem I can't help with, if I Skype him, he immediately jumps on to help solve it. (assuming he's awake :) )

I actually did find a bug with the mouse but different then other people have. I have the game in fullscreen and the mouse goes up further on the desktop then in game and when I click on things in the upper half of the screen (can be as low as the middle of the screen) it causes the mouse to click on the bar at the top of my desktop and the game loses focus. It is getting annoying since the game keeps losing focus constantly because of it and starts other programs also.

PS. I was wondering if putting saves in chronological order could be a possible addition in a future patch.

Back
Top Bottom