Blade Of Darkness Gets A Graphical Overhaul Mod

It's just another ENB mod from the description on both pages. I can't deny it does make the old game look better though.:)

Last edited:
Doesn't work for my GOG version install. It requires that you choose "r3dfx voodoo 1-2" as the renderer in the game options, but BoD crashes on startup for me with that setting. :(

Been so negative in my posts lately, so I'll say, "Omg, it's so beautiful!"

No, wait, why the hell can't I see 25ft in front of me?! Another overdone ENB. Positivity fail :(

Hmm doesn't look too horrible in the vids. But there is no replacement for firsthand experience and it will be quite a while before I actually find the time to check this out.

I do hope the DOF is configurable from the ini (it should if this is an enb iirc).One of the first things I do in games these days is to tune DoF and blur down to subtle and acceptable levels...

I do hope the DOF is configurable from the ini

It is. I tried messing around with it for awhile, (lowered bloom, turned off DoF entirely), but I couldn't find a look that satisfied me.

Funny thing is, I ended up playing for a few hours because of this. I really need to do a full playthrough one of these days. I got pretty far back when the game was new, but I got stuck somewhere and never finished it.

It would be cool if someone could mod up the textures. I don't think there's anything to be done about the animation though. That barbarian walks like he's in serious need of a bathroom break. :)

It would be cool if someone could mod up the textures. I don't think there's anything to be done about the animation though. That barbarian walks like he's in serious need of a bathroom break. :)

Well it is a pretty old game, and I expect you have to politely look away on some aspects if you are going to have fun ;)

Played it twice recently with the Knight and Barbarian. Gave me Dark Souls vibes all over, but with better, more satisfying combat.

I will try this ENB mod when I have the time as I am now mainly playing on my old work laptop (which does not have shader model 3.0).

I replayed this and Rune back in about 2005 and then again last year, and I continue to really enjoy BoD as a fun little action slasher. Not great games, but I always have fun.

What's an ENB mod?

ENB is a group that releases graphical improvements to games:
http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

ENBseries basically intercepts draw calls and inserts its own code to add or improve existing visual effects. Generally speaking, it can't cause a game to run better because by intercepting those calls and brutally plugging in additional rendering code, it adds significant overheads to the rendering and makes things run worse. If you're system is overall quite powerful, then the effect may be fairly unnoticeable.

It's a great tool though, and pretty much the only way to add some of the more advanced visual effects into a game that either is supported by the renderer but not in any way enabled in the game, or that was poorly implemented by the developers in the first place.

I strongly favor Blade of Darkness combat over Demon's/Dark Souls; there's just far more depth. The "awkwardness" of the movement is actually a strength of the system once you get used to it, largely because of the added depth it gives - movement is actually meaningful and "realistic" because you have to face up to your opponent instead of the modern-game method of locking-on and "skating" around them (as in, running full speed in almost any direction). Combined with the "real" dodge mechanic (not rolling around on the ground), the movement system adds weight and immersion to the combat.

Also, I love how you have to "aim" your attacks with different strikes in order to land a hit, and where you hit an opponent has different effects - most combat games (like Souls) simply have an automatic light and heavy attack, with arcade-like combos in between. DS just lacks weight in comparison.

The other reason I prefer BoD is that enemies don't feel as scripted or predictable as DS. The combat A.I. still stands up as a great example of difficult and "smart" opponents without resorting to omniscience or other cheating methods. Every fight feels unique to a certain degree, and it's far more important to come up with a set of tactics to break through an enemy's defense rather than simple pattern memorization.

Walking like you have a lead pipe up your ass is not meaningful and realistic in the least. ;)

I don't find anything particularly special about the AI in BoD. It's good for what it was, but fans have a tendency to exaggerate due to nostalgia. The majority of enemies simply aggro on sight and pursue you until death. It's also very easy to evade them by simply positioning yourself on the other side of a column, etc., while they flail away even if you're not in reach.

I agree that the melee system in BoD has more depth than most other games of that type, but that's the only category where I think it really excels compared to something like Dark Souls.

Nerevarine described BoD brilliantly.

The AI is much better than many games:

- The enemies will not pursit you until either of you die; they will stop the pursue when you get far (like in Dark Souls),
- They call each other,
- retreat to drink potions when hurt
- parry and block
- use special moves

JDR, you will notice the AI later in the game as enemy levels go up.

Another thing is the type of weapons in the game and the legendary types. Some weapons are more effective on certain types of enemies.

It was a very good Fighting/action game for its time, with a very intricate combat system and some nice weapons/combos. What distinguished it and made me like it quite a bit back then was the setting and atmosphere.

I don't really have the time or the inclination for this sort of game nowadays though when I can play DS, that eclipses BoD in about every area that really matters to me, and has a very deep, very detailed character/gear/upgrade system to back up its very engaging and physical tactical combat one…

But nostalgia may get the better of me one of these days :)

People that are in it for the Action in DS though should really at least check it out when they have the time. Just keep in mind: You have to learn key combinations and it will test your reflexes a bit more that DS (this really is a fighting game). ;)

Walking like you have a lead pipe up your ass is not meaningful and realistic in the least. ;)

Well sure, the animation quality is 10+ years old now, but I just mean how it "feels" if you can look past the dated animations (melee attacks still look good to me though). I personally just like that you have to face up to your enemies and turn in the direction you want to move before you can run full speed. I really appreciate that movement is something you actually have to pay attention to in BoD as opposed to something you can largely ignore.

As for nostalgia, I actually stumbled upon BoD in 2010. Shortly after playing Demon's Souls, I was hungry for another melee-focused game that also wasn't typical over-the-top hack n' slash. Thanks to the good old internet, I found BoD being discussed in some forum where someone was asking for a good melee combat system, and I managed to track down a copy. BoD has aged a bit and has a learning curve - and you have to want the extra depth that BoD has in its combat, such as the movement, learning when and how to use the different attack directions, etc. - but I haven't been as satisfied by any other melee combat system since then. I've never been able to fully enjoy Demon's Souls (or Dark Souls) since then, either.

but I haven't been as satisfied by any other melee combat system since then. I've never been able to fully enjoy Demon's Souls (or Dark Souls) since then, either.

I can only assume then that your primary interest is the melee and that you don't really care as much about other aspects like character development, lore, equipment, etc.

For me, the melee system is the only thing that really shines in BoD if you compare it to games like Dark Souls. It's inferior in just about every other aspect.

That's not meant to be a knock againt BoD though. After all, it is a 10+ year old game as you mention, and I do realize that has to be taken into consideration. I like it, just not as much as the Souls games.

Back
Top Bottom