Is it just me? - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Is it just me?

Default Is it just me?

May 24th, 2020, 23:06
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I don't think the engines are the problem. Unity and Unreal couldn't really be called bespoke - they're general purpose engines, and you start with a pretty blank slate. In terms of implementing gameplay, they don't pull you in a particular direction like, say, RPGmaker.

What might be a factor is that, if you're a new developer, it's much easier to get guidance on how to do the things that people have done dozens of times before.
Agreed. If your a new developer the well trodden path is likely to be your first point of call.
For things like Unity I gathered from interviews of some devs that they have had to develop a lot of tools themselves for things that Unity did not come with. For instance 2d games had some trouble and had to develop things like 2d animation tools. I guess Unity has largely righted that ship now. Unreal I have always thought of as a first person engine but glad to hear it is more capable now.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

May 25th, 2020, 11:39
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Agreed. If your a new developer the well trodden path is likely to be your first point of call.
For things like Unity I gathered from interviews of some devs that they have had to develop a lot of tools themselves for things that Unity did not come with. For instance 2d games had some trouble and had to develop things like 2d animation tools. I guess Unity has largely righted that ship now. Unreal I have always thought of as a first person engine but glad to hear it is more capable now.
Yeah, Unity is a bit of a strange one with 2D. It's been used for tons of successful 2D games, but was never particularly well-suited for it. It doesn't have a true 2d mode - it's essentially a 3D camera pulled back and locked to view a flat plane. That's one area where I can see Godot making some headway, because it has a separate, dedicated 2D engine.

The interesting thing I've learned about first-person vs third-person vs top-down, is that there's not really much difference on a technical level. Fundamentally, the only differences are the character controller and the camera controller - the bits of code that handle player input and the position and behaviour of the camera. In an FPS the camera essentially sticks to the player model's face, and in a top down game it follows him in the sky. If you have the framework of a good RPG, it can easily be adapted to one or the other.
--
"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'tis that I may not weep."
Last edited by Ripper; May 25th, 2020 at 12:02.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

May 25th, 2020, 20:31
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
More clear?
Much more clear, thanks!

On the difficulty thing, maybe you're just way better than me but I'm certainly still getting challenged plenty. Heck, after my first try at a final boss last night, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be able to beat it at all - and actually, I really didn't have a chance with the characters I was using. I had to switch out half my party for some of the other characters before there was any hope at all. Even then, it was rough - that boss would stomp on a huge portion of the battlefield doing enough damage to one-shot every character I had three times over!

What game was that? South Park 2. I was playing at max difficulty but come on, this is a game I bought as a little "cotton candy" to have during the epidemic! I didn't expect any jalapeno slices in it!

As for shear number of systems, that depends on what games you're playing. XCOM 2 with War of the Chosen (the other game I've been playing lately) certainly isn't lacking there. Egosoft's X games have plenty of systems. South Park 2? Nah. But is that really different from the old games?

Originality is down but that's unavoidable. It's hard not to be original if you're making games in the 80's and early 90's. Now, after decades of a large industry pumping out titles, you're going often going to have to settle for smaller aspects being original. There's still plenty of room for different takes on those older ideas, though!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 26th, 2020, 21:22
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Is it just me or does RPG news for the last few years seem underwhelming to the rest of you? I come here almost every day to get the news like I have since the days of RpgDot but hardly anything interests me anymore. I feel like there are too many Indie games with dated visuals and uninteresting mechanics while the AAA games look prettier and prettier as they become increasingly less sophisticated and uninteresting. Maybe it's just a mid life crisis and it'll pass…
I have a similar problem, but that's because no game interests me these days anymore, as can be read here : https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45156
I assume that my personal taste has become too different from what's in the RPG and otherwise fashion these days …

I have even given up following Adventure games news - due to a similar cause : Nobody does games I'd like to play anymore, especially there are no games with humour anymore.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Today, 18:12
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I have a similar problem, but that's because no game interests me these days anymore, as can be read here : https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45156
I guess I should have looked a bit more in this forum before making another almost identical topic… I guess deep down I truly believed if was just me so it didn't even occur to me to check…
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Is it just me?