E3 expo

ilm

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I just realised I will be in Los Angeles during E3 next week. So, you know, I'm not that of an heavy gamer anymore but a day or two could be fun just to get a taste of the atmosphere. I checked out ticket prices:
https://www.e3expo.com/register/attendee

A Gamer Badge (cheapest option?) is $249. What! I can't afford that. Game fairs used to be 20 euros entrance or so (Germany). I'm willing to take donations, however, in return for some tweets on my twitter account (I got 5 billion followers if you would believe it). Or I could influence gamers on my instagram account instead :)

In all seriousness, what is there to see?
- Larian will be there I suppose
- AMD will announce it's navi (and ryzen) in more detail?
- CDPR! Cyberpunk 2077

It could be fun to watch one of those big publisher presentation shows (like Sony, Microsoft, ...), but it seems that is press only? Maybe I should mail Swen and ask for a press pass.

Only in America do people pay to watch commercials.

Haha, true. It's all just one big marketing event of course, with no real (technical) substance. Still, if it would be like 40 Euro for one day I would think about it. Will there be cosplay?

Seems nobody is interested in Cyberpunk 2077? :)

Ha yeah that's a ridiculous cost! :) I'd be interested to see what Larian are up to, but not for that much...

E3 is no longer so popular, I think. I heard many of the big companies even skip it these days. Unless it is known for sure that larian and CD Project will be there, why bother.

Even then, $250 bucks is a rip-off price. WTF are they thinking??

Only in America do people pay to watch commercials.
Does watching a commercial count as paying? Because I bet we've all watched commercials to see a new game trailer - which is a commercial.

I was actually going to go this year but I'm just too busy at work.

I promised my son I'd take him next year as a sort of graduation gift.

Seems like a fun thing to me. Go see a little tech and hang out on the beach for a week with some friends and family.

Does watching a commercial count as paying? Because I bet we've all watched commercials to see a new game trailer - which is a commercial.

Elaborate please?

I was actually going to go this year but I'm just too busy at work.

I promised my son I'd take him next year as a sort of graduation gift.

Seems like a fun thing to me. Go see a little tech and hang out on the beach for a week with some friends and family.
Exactly, but 250 dollar is too much. I'll see next week, maybe a last minute day pass will be affordable (optimistic I know).

Last edited:
I just realised I will be in Los Angeles during E3 next week. So, you know, I'm not that of an heavy gamer anymore but a day or two could be fun just to get a taste of the atmosphere. I checked out ticket prices:
https://www.e3expo.com/register/attendee

If only you would have let us know earlier. We would have had time to meet the requirements for a free press pass for you.
You could have set up meetings with publishers and devs to create some articles for RPGWatch, as that would be the requirement from our side for arranging a free press pass for you.

Now it is a bit too late.

For the record, if anyone plans on attending next year let us know in time and we can see if we can arrange you joining for RPGWatch as press. We won’t pay your expenses though, as we have no money left to spare ;)
It would be something you would do anyway, but the cost of the gamer ticket is holding you back. As mentioned you are required to write a number of articles for RPGWatch, based on your meetings with publishers/devs. These meetings you have to arrange yourself (but we can get you connected). Something like a minimum of 5 articles would do it.

I so would if I live in Europe or even in States... Australia's got nothing... sigh

Well, if it ever comes to Kansas City, I'm in. Or even Topeka, or Lincoln, or maybe even Des Moines!

Elaborate please?
You pay for YouTube (or GameTrailers, RIP) by watching the advertisements, giving up a little of your free time in exchange for the content. So it's a smaller scale instance of paying to be advertised at if you sit through a commercial on YouTube just so you can watch a trailer for a game.

Ah yes, extreme philosophical pedantry, that's what I thought you meant. I mean, wow, just think of all the time and money we've lost just from reading a thread about commercials, let alone writing replies to each other! Why, I think I'll reward myself by going to the cinema and then only watch the adverts prior to the film before leaving to come home…

Well, if it ever comes to Kansas City, I'm in. Or even Topeka, or Lincoln, or maybe even Des Moines!

You pay for YouTube (or GameTrailers, RIP) by watching the advertisements, giving up a little of your free time in exchange for the content. So it's a smaller scale instance of paying to be advertised at if you sit through a commercial on YouTube just so you can watch a trailer for a game.

Adblock. No such thing for E3. There is that press pass Myrthos mentioned, but it requires you to do some work for it, which is another form of payment.

Hmm… 250 bucks for the privilege of shuffling around a packed conference centre, being bombarded by cringeworthy corporate horseshit.

I so would if I live in Europe or even in States… Australia's got nothing… sigh
But they do have something, They have PAX: https://aus.paxsite.com/
It is in Melbourne. Maybe not that close to where you live. But compared to the distance to Melbourne from where I live, it is just around the corner for you :D

There are quite a number of computer game events, both big and small, in the USA, but also in other parts of the world. The only one where I am sure of we are going to is Gamescom.

Events for Gamers (http://www.eventsforgamers.com) has listed quite a bunch of them, but certainly not all of them are interesting for us. At the very least it should havesome cRPGs to report about, before we can accommodate anyone with a press ticket.

Despite the negativity of Ripper on gaming shows ;), what I enjoy about attending gaming shows is the interaction with developers, where they get the chance to talk about the game they have been working on for some time and I have the chance to ask them questions.

Back
Top Bottom