Diablo 3 - PvP Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A few days back Jay Wilson updated Battle.net with progress on PvP for Diablo III. In summary, team deathmatches aren't working out and will be withheld but in-game dueling will make it for patch 1.07:
Of course, our goal has been to release our Team Deathmatch mode as soon as possible, but we don't want to put anything out there before it's ready. Right now, Team Deathmatch isn't yet where we want it to be, so I want to provide some insight into where we are at in the development process. [...]
For us it comes to a few issues, one of which is depth. Simply fighting each other with no other objectives or choices to make gets old relatively quickly. We've brought a lot of people in to try out Team Deathmatch and, while some found it entertaining, most of our testers didn't feel like it was something they'd want to do beyond a few hours. Without more varied objectives, or very lucrative rewards, few saw our current iteration as something they'd want spend a lot of time in.
More information.

kinda funny how they've (supposedly) been working on team dm for 8 months since launch, yet they still use the same excuse as when they pulled it before release..

For us it comes to a few issues, one of which is depth. Simply fighting each other with no other objectives or choices to make gets old relatively quickly. We've brought a lot of people in to try out Team Deathmatch and, while some found it entertaining, most of our testers didn't feel like it was something they'd want to do beyond a few hours.

Um. He just described the base game. People play D3 in denial. They can't fathom a world where a beloved franchise is dead.

If D3 could become F2P it most definately would— I suppose they could make the AH free. What a huge disappointment and horrible end to the franchise. Every update/interview with Jay Wilson annoys me to no end and I don't even care about PvP. Between D3 and MoP it is clear Blizzard has become either too complacent and/or big for their britches.

I so wanted to like D3, but it really is unlikeable.

How does Wilson still have a job. He took a franchise and completely ruined it with misplaced MMO concepts, complete lack of respect for the intelligence of their audience, and a decision to proactively balance the game around a real money AH which only fuels the hacking and exploitation of their own customer base. Wilson doesn't even like D2 and you put him in charge of D3? What a shame. It was disheartening and sad to watch the game get ruined piece by piece as they removed feature after feature until essentially nothing was left and they had almost a decade to make the game.

I thought it was hysterical when Blizzard run their own poll of what changes the fans wanted and it was literally a list of the 10 things that would make it like D2 again.

One of the worst games of all time.

Saw this happening even before launch. Jay Wilson and his whole team are rejects ever since that Twitter and Facebook scandal that's been erased so no one can see what they wrote.

Sadly over 10 million copies were sold so it's not a failure. I still haven't bought it yet despite the people saying you know you will. Eat that people.;)

Wow. Did somebody set exaggeration to 11? Could we have some rational criticisms, maybe? Like how it could have possibly taken so long for them to decide their PvP model wasn't fun. On the one hand, I'd like to say we have to assume by "working on it" all this time, they really meant, "when we have spare time we work a little bit on it". On the other, given how this echos the deeply flawed itemization system they went live with, I'd have to say some of their development methodologies need serious revision, if not all out blowing up.

Well, at least they are honest about it.

Anyway, with an expansion coming in late 2013, I can't see me touching DIII anytime soon. Path of Exile is the real shit at the moment, it's kind of amazing what that small team has pulled so far.

Back
Top Bottom