Kingdom Come - First Impressions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechRaptor checked out Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Impressions – Fitting a Niche

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has caused quite a stir since its release a few weeks ago. The first Kickstarted title by new developer Warhorse Studios, and the latest game by outspoken director Daniel Vavra, Kingdom Come has already done well for itself by netting around a million sales online. For a new IP, that is damn impressive, and the sheer scope of the game has also been lauded as ambitious by many for it’s high attention to detail and historical realism.

Such a game is a long haul, however, and even after sinking 20 or so hours of being a peasant in 15th century Bohemia, the impression it has left on me is one that started strong but waned over time. In a lot of ways, Kingdom Come is a solid game, but it is a game that has a lot of problems beyond the bugs many have complained about. The least of which is the clear move to sell the game to a very specific niche of the role-playing cross section.

The most impressive part of Kingdom Come is one of its weaknesses; the world itself. 15th century Bohemia in a full medieval simulation seeped in impressive historical accuracy. As an actual historian, it is the perfect game for me. This is a true-to-life world where social status and appearance do matter, where quest design is not epic battles against dragons but instead throwing shit on lime-washed house walls. The amount of care to give the world a sense of realism is ambitious, and Warhorse should be credited for doing a good job at holding up the illusion.

[...]
More information.

Strange the reviewer seems to have issues with a kickstarted indi game not having the production values of a multimilion dollar AAA game. He may have a valid complaint of issues with a contoler as the game was made for the PC. The limits of the controler on a games interphase have rurined many a PC game in the past.

Haven't played it yet myself but I suspect in the quest for more unit sales releasing the game on console at the same time as PC cost it in production resorces that could have been better spent on polish and bug fixing. Though if we are lucky some of those unit sales dollars will go back in to polish the game further.

Make no mistake kingdom come was a multimillion dollar game.

Strange the reviewer seems to have issues with a kickstarted indi game not having the production values of a multimilion dollar AAA game. He may have a valid complaint of issues with a contoler as the game was made for the PC. The limits of the controler on a games interphase have rurined many a PC game in the past.

Haven't played it yet myself but I suspect in the quest for more unit sales releasing the game on console at the same time as PC cost it in production resorces that could have been better spent on polish and bug fixing. Though if we are lucky some of those unit sales dollars will go back in to polish the game further.

It was. But it wasn't GTA5 with funds of 250 millions IIRC. Yet coreographed cutscenes feel more passionate and more natural IMO in KCD than in mediocre racing bestseller.

About controller I have to say it's not the input itself. It's lack of something what mushroom addicts got used to. Autoaim.
There is no autoaim in KCD. K+M audience never expect it in games, but imagine the surprise from console audience where it's not even considered a cheat any more as all games have it by default.
Additionally lockpicking minigame is near impossible with mushrooms, yet utterly easy with K+M.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a 40M $ budget. KCD should be around one third of that, from what they hint, but they use a really mature engine with lot of existing libraries they could use and a veteran team.
MEA was built on a EA internal engine they had to adapt to this kind of game and lot of outsourced stuff they had to somehow fit into it.
People who have worked in IT will know what I am talking about when I say 'outsourced stuff'.

I had to put it down, half way through the game I think, definite impression longer the game goes, the less polish and quality content.
The game needs some serious patching and balancing ( once you get in a plate and with decent experience, nothing can touch you).

Less quality content? Not possible.
It ain't Binary Domain.

I'm actually enjoying it greatly, and I think it looks spectacular. It feels authentic. That being said: It's in dire need of some patching. There are quite a few quests that simply can't be completed, for example, which is rather frustrating.

Anyway, the foundation is very solid, and I think they did prove a point: There is definitely a market for this type of game.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a 40M $ budget. KCD should be around one third of that, from what they hint, but they use a really mature engine with lot of existing libraries they could use and a veteran team.
MEA was built on a EA internal engine they had to adapt to this kind of game and lot of outsourced stuff they had to somehow fit into it.
People who have worked in IT will know what I am talking about when I say 'outsourced stuff'.
ME4 didn't have to pay anything for engine. They adapted nothing. Endless trashmob respawns are impossible to remove from it as the engine's target are MMO grinders. The only outsourced thing ME team did was remix of Human, sadly this remix is impossible to get fully on any OST compilation and just a short part of it is featured in the trailer.
I have absolutely no idea about the budget size ME4 had.

KCD paid for the engine that gives out nice visuals, sure, but gives nightmares to developers.
It's budget was 36.5 million of $:
https://wccftech.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-cost-36-m-dollars/

Back
Top Bottom