Path of Exile 2 - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Path of Exile 2 has been announced during ExileCon.

Path of Exile 2 is a new seven-act storyline that is available alongside the original Path of Exile 1 campaign. Both the old and new storyline lead to the same shared Atlas endgame. Path of Exile 2 retains all expansion content that has been created over the last six years and introduces a new skill system, ascendancy classes, engine improvements and more.

20 Years Have Passed

Since the death of Kitava, society has been slowly rebuilding. Ambitious men rise to fill the void and their thirst for power is once again corrupting Wraeclast.

[...]
More information.

Nice, I like the changes they announce for the skill system. Now I only would love to see them do away with the randomized crafting system...

Last edited:
I'm more interested in this game, than some other company's announcement earlier this month about a similar game.

Turn-based tactical fights and single-player mode. This game would RULE!!

lol, right… a game where you kill hundreds of enemies of enemies per minute but, "hey, let's make it turn-based."

Anyway, this is a bit of a misnomer; it's not really Path of Exile 2, so much as an enhanced expansion. Both the old skill system (and classes) will still be utilizing the same endgame map content. As a longtime on/off player, it's more confusing than it is intriguing.

Regardless, I have more faith that Grinding Gear Games will continue to pump out fun content, than I do in Blizzard rediscovering compelling game design; Blizzard North died long ago.

Anyway, this is a bit of a misnomer; it's not really Path of Exile 2, so much as an enhanced expansion. Both the old skill system (and classes) will still be utilizing the same endgame map content. As a longtime on/off player, it's more confusing than it is intriguing.

I find that odd, too. Similar to Overwatch 2 which will essentially be a PvE co-op mode for the original game. Is this a new trend?

GGG goes from strength to strength... Activision Blizzard, not so much.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Many a true word. 光復香港,時代革命

lol, right… a game where you kill hundreds of enemies of enemies per minute but, "hey, let's make it turn-based."

Regardless, I have more faith that Grinding Gear Games will continue to pump out fun content, than I do in Blizzard rediscovering compelling game design; Blizzard North died long ago.
Not really true. While it is not a real sequel it is way more than just Enhanced Edition.
It will gives us 7 new acts with completely different story and 19 new ascendancies to choose for our 7 base classes.
Add to that huge upgrade in graphics, new passive skill tree, new way to use active skill gems, new combat with more deadly enemies where you will not longer be murdering 200 easy to kill enemies per minute and this is surely not just a EE.

Actually if they were not such good guys and let everyone who bought microtransactions keep them for PoE 2 they could have called it a new game and sold stuff from start.
Blizzard is surely doing that with D4 which will have less changes compared to D3 than this game will have compared to PoE 1.

It still remains confusing though, and elicits more questions than answers for the time being. For instance, what will happen with PoE '1's development when this update gets released? On the outset, they'll keep both halves to the game going, but I can only assume this will fall by the wayside and you'll end up with one half of the game getting new content every 3-4 months and the other half of the game being ushered into stagnancy.

…but both halves utilizing the same endgame. It just sounds like a potential mess to me.

It is not that confusing. You will have two story modes,and you can play either one of them,or both if you wish to do so. As Chris Wilson mentioned,the maps are timeless,so the endgeme is shared no matter which campaign you finish.
They will adjust POE1 to be somewhat up to date with POE2.
Until POE2 releases,they will actually,slowly and gradually add and upgrade the current game.
So,for example,the first town you get into will get a overhaul and some bosses will be getting buffed (in the 10 act story mode).
Each new league that comes out will be shared between POE 1 & 2,that part might be a bit tricky,but they are working on it.

Trading will also be a mess.

Standard 1.0
Standard 2.0
Standard Hardcore 1.0
Standard Hardcore 2.0
League 1.0
League 2.0
League Hardcore 1.0
League Hardcore 2.0

I'm intrigued by the new tech but this mish-mash of systems is going to take a lot of work for it not to descend into a logistical mess, both with players and GGG resource management (ie. balancing skills and items for two modes of play).

It's certainly feasible, but at the end of the day you're left asking if it would not have just been easier to create a true sequel, separate from the first game.

It might be messy,for sure. Not sure myself if this is the best way. But who am I to question the almighty Chris Wilson's decision.

Most of the players will probably play the new POE either way.
The POE1 will be useful, if you wish to play the old ascendancies,since from there is where you can get them.
In POE2,there will be completely new ones to ascend. Also,the ascendancies will be not tied to the Labyrinth anymore,but a new way which is not revealed yet.
And that will be also implemented before 4.0

Can't wait to make make even more character builds based on spamming the same one ability for 200 hours.

I don't think PoE 1 will be getting new league content once PoE 2 is released. I expect PoE 1 to just stay as standard league and get future global additions to the game.

Anything else would be madness.

Trading will also be a mess.
No it won't. Both campaigns will share same league content and the same endgame, on the same realm. When you invite someone to trade, it won't matter whether he played PoE1 story line or PoE2, or both. It's the same game, sharing hideouts, stash tabs, mtx, etc.

Can't wait to make make even more character builds based on spamming the same one ability for 200 hours.

You obviously missed the information that PoE's new skill system will allow up to 9 six-links now. That will open up many new ways to play the game, and everyone will actually have to use multiple "main" skills, since GGG plans to make the game significantly harder than it is right now.

I watched the whole ExileCon on twitch, and I'm really hyped, even though I played PoE almost exclusively the last 3-4 years. Every single league for about 2 months, and then 1 month of other stuff like Kingmaker, AoW: Planetfall, etc. It was great so far, and will only get better in the future. :)

You obviously missed the information that PoE's new skill system will allow up to 9 six-links now. That will open up many new ways to play the game, and everyone will actually have to use multiple "main" skills, since GGG plans to make the game significantly harder than it is right now.

I watched the whole ExileCon on twitch, and I'm really hyped, even though I played PoE almost exclusively the last 3-4 years. Every single league for about 2 months, and then 1 month of other stuff like Kingmaker, AoW: Planetfall, etc. It was great so far, and will only get better in the future. :)
11 with 2 unset rings. 12 if you use a Tabula as well.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I think Neon was mentioning a possibility of having league content on both versions of POE.
Watched almost the whole ExileCon,but there is a possibility I misheard that part. We''ll see.
However,when finally that day comes,when POE2 drops,that is a version I shall play for sure. :) ... as most players,me thinks.

Back
Top Bottom