The TV Series discussion thread - Page 255 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

March 8th, 2020, 00:59
I've watched the first 8 episodes now, and it does remind me of True Detective in a lot of ways. Particularly in the cinematography (especially some of the overhead views) as well as the overall atmosphere. That said, I don't think it's quite on the same level as the first season of TD.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default Blood & Treasure

March 8th, 2020, 13:36
I recently finished watching “Blood & Treasure” which is an action adventure drama. It is set in 2019 though there are flash backs to much earlier periods. The latter are identified by the programme makers to make it very easy to understand the “when”.

I would say that this is a fun TV series in that there are no political messages (something that is too often part of anything coming out of North America), there is a love story, betrayal, violence and twists in the story. The actors are photogenetic in the main. Strong female co-star.

The action takes place all around the world. An antiquities expert teams up with an art thief to catch a terrorist who funds his attacks using stolen artifacts is how IMDB describes it. This is only part of the story there is much more.

If you like fun action drama which does not tax your brain too much then this is worth a look. There are 13 episodes with a duration of 38 to 45 minutes each. A 2nd season has been given the go ahead. I will probably watch the 2nd season. 1st season isn't a must buy but a maybe.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 8th, 2020, 20:40
Okay here goes

Spencer Confidential;
Netflix Spencer for Hire reboot with Mark Wahlberg. I loved the TV show and how they fine tuned the theme song each year. Hawk (Avery Brooks: pre deep space 9) was great and with that show I had a soft spot for Boston. The Netflix Movie reboot had far more humor than the TV show but not too much. We liked it in our house and want more.

Altered Carbon: Second season
The book was horrible almost approaching experimental fiction. Short bits of coherent narrative attached to a rambling almost stream of conscience writing. Big disappointment from the first two books. So the TV show was a lot more coherent (at least for me), than the book. But did it make for a good viewing? I don't know. I was just happy to see it laid out plainly, so I now feel I got my moneys worth for the book. High Praise??????

Netflix. I am Not Okay with This: Season one
High school girl slowly discovers she has a super power and gets all angsty about it.
The eight episode season ends with her finally using her power. The show is way too drawn out and it might be good to see 2 or 3 seasons together but right now I feel I wasted my time.
NOTE: Netflix did a similar/recent series called Raising Dion that dealt with a little kid with a superpower. It too was drawn out but unlike "Im not okay…:, the acting was horrendous and story telling worse.

Freaks: Netflix movie
On a similar theme. This too deals with a little girl that has a superpower. Her father is hiding her from the world. And of course the little girl wants to know what is out there. Unlike the two aforementioned mini series, this needed about another hour or two to tell the complete story. Right now it is pretty clear the movie was a pilot. Still . . . it was good. Acting was great, story was tight with a couple nice twists. I doubt they will come back to this story but I'm okay with the kinda cliff hanger.
NOTE: There was a similar movie like this in 2016 that dealt with a little boy who had superpowers and the father was trying to hide the boy. Called Midnight Special. Adam Driver played a scientist and the movie had nice visual ending.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

March 9th, 2020, 00:23
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Okay here goes

NOTE: There was a similar movie like this in 2016 that dealt with a little boy who had superpowers and the father was trying to hide the boy. Called Midnight Special. Adam Driver played a scientist and the movie had nice visual ending.
I vaguely remember going to see this at the cinema in early 2016. I also recall that I liked what I saw but the details are very fuzzy. At the moment it is available as part of the Amazon Prime package in the UK. It was a film that got good marks from the critics and people who saw it but it wasn't a box office success. Strange.

Thanks for the reminder.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

+1:

March 9th, 2020, 08:48
Finished The Outsider. It was above average but fell short of being anything special imo.

Going to start watching Season 2 of Westworld in anticipation of the third season which begins in about a week.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Default Westworld

March 9th, 2020, 11:54
I am both lucky and unlucky with my access to TV series. At the moment Syfy Uk is showing the 1st two seasons of Westworld with the final two episodes being screened tonight. It is a brilliant show and more than a worthy successor to the film. Love the way they use the flash backs to help you undertand what is actually going on and why. It seems we are all influenced by our past though I know many would wish it not so. Delores, William, Man in Black - the list of quality performances seems to go on and on.

The unlucky bit is that I will probably have to wait 3 or 4 years before I see the 3rd season, though I must admit that the thought of buying the DVDs is very tempting. Even then it probably means waiting until later this year or next year for season 3.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

March 10th, 2020, 17:14
I'm beginning to believe that Better Call Saul is basically spoiling any and all other television for me. I find myself re-watching episodes of this show rather than watching new things, even. The last episode was superb, and I'm constantly wondering what will happen with Kim through all this, I suspect she's not going to have a happy ending. This show knows how to tell a complete story, progress or failure is earned and plays out before the viewer so you know exactly what's going on, and what stakes are on the line.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

March 11th, 2020, 22:52
ZeroZeroZero, pretty great.. really dark and gritty crime drama. 3 episodes in and so far its a solid 8/10 for me.

Better Call Saul is still quite good, not on pair with Breaking Bad due to how incredible slow it is and not having that many interesting characters + side tracking into stuff that's just rather meh (though its been doing that since the start so..) It's a pretty weird mix of realism and something that more resembles a cartoon with over-the-top characters.. Saul is such a great character, that's what makes me come back..

Current season of Curb your Enthusiasm is decent, it still manages to be clever in ways that impresses me.

Really hyped for Kingdom S02.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.5

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

March 11th, 2020, 23:09
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Finished The Outsider. It was above average but fell short of being anything special imo.
I also wrapped up my viewing and have to agree. While it started off in an interesting fashion, the series never truly took off. It's like they tried extending a bad episode of the X-Files but failed to develop the premise or dialogue to warrant a 10 episode run.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

March 13th, 2020, 18:07
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Speak for yourselves. Picard is awsome and it's main score almost precisely fits into Voyger intro. Won't upload it on yt though so try to combine yourself.
Neat. Thanks.

I like ST: Picard. A lot. Didn't expect all the action, but otherwise it feels very wholesome to me.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

March 16th, 2020, 17:16
Just started and finished "I Am Not Okay With This" on Netflix and thought it was outstanding.

Solid 8/10

denj

Watcher

March 17th, 2020, 02:45
Carnival Row. Its quite good and contrary to the blatantly political ads that were airing its not a vehicle for social commentary. I wasn't going to watch it but was convinced otherwise. Glad I did.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

March 18th, 2020, 03:20
Finished Season 1 of Carnival Row. Outstanding show. I'm real surprised there is no discussion of it here.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

March 18th, 2020, 09:58
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Finished Season 1 of Carnival Row. Outstanding show. I'm real surprised there is no discussion of it here.
I loved it! Hope there's a season 2 coming out?

also watching Picard, and quite enjoying it.

And watched some episodes of Sex Education - not quite sure what to make of it, it's funny, weird and vaguely sweet with all the growing up angst. But not sure I'll watch the whole season (1 - hear there's a 2 out now).

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

March 18th, 2020, 10:30
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I meant to check out Carnival Row and completely forgot about it. Is it on Netflix?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 18th, 2020, 14:45
Its on Amazon Prime. 2nd Season green lit.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

March 21st, 2020, 17:39
Ughhh….I tried watching the first episode of series three, Westworld. I gave up after thirty minutes or so, what a travesty compared to the prior series, although the second wasn't all that good, imo. It's just…..no. If you can stomach it, you're of sterner stuff than I am.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 21st, 2020, 18:14
I refuse to watch any of those nonprocedural shows untill all episodes are available.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
+1:

March 21st, 2020, 20:26
Though if STD and Discard are to your liking, I expect the current series of Westworld would be just fine. If you've a penchant for non-existent plots, sloppy and amateurish directing, and a general disdain for story telling at large, most of the current telly offerings will satisfy. These days I'm finding genuinely intriguing and thought-provoking shows far and few.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 21st, 2020, 23:22
I loved the first two seasons, can't know if I'll feel the same about the third one.
But the only connection between the three is - Terminator.

Discovery covered Federation-Klingon war at first (and pretty much failed with the main story, sides saved the day), then moved to amuse me with bootstrap/predestination time travel paradoxes and I loved the second season.
Sure the plot in the second season is Terminatorlike AI, but who even cares about that?

Picard went with Federation getting corrupt within itself by some romulan secret cult. There is not one Terminatorlike AI, but we'll be getting Terminators for sure in it's next season. Savior of the day is 7of9 hijacking a borg cube. What's not to like?

Westworld 1 got Terminator wannabes in the end, Westworld 2 had Terminators through it - but all in confined space. Westworld 3 should put Terminators outside. Between humans. Could be good, but I'm not touching it till the whole season is ready.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread